Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

It's a trap

It's a trap
October 31, 2008, 03:41:21 PM
I find myself asking: why is it that people online are such irrational, queeny bitches?

The answer: like people in our society, they're narcissistic and delusional, but it's easier to do online because you can claim to be a King and no one will immediately know the difference.

People think they gain points by making niggling criticisms, spouting big words, spouting small words, repeating media memes, making dumb jokes, acting "unique," being dramatic... don't you realize it's a trap?

Sick people want you to waste your life. They want to drag you down. Nothing makes them happier than seeing you stumble over your own feet, tangled up in a net of their bullshit. They win / YOU LOSE , and that's the end of it. It makes them feel better about being losers.

I see a lot of this behavior on this forum, but it's 25% of the time here versus 55% of the time at the other forums I like.

I see a lot of this behavior in metal, now, and it explains why all metal now is liberal and inconsequential. There is literally nothing good coming out, except the "exceptions" who have been around for decades. Gimme a break. Rock music is just as bad.

Durrrrr... maybe traps take a long time to spring... from 1968 to 2008... making people complete narcissists.

Think of it this way:

Someone learns to do something, like make great metal or start a society. Others who come after can only see the effects, not what motivated this person.

They pretend to be that person and imitate his gestures, not his ideas. How monkey!

Soon you have idiots competing for appearance, not knowing that they've killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

No wonder humanity hates itself. The stupidity is oppressive.

For you the person reading: the trap is out there. People want you to think you're a Big Deal without having done anything important, like having written a black metal album as good as Burzum. You being a Big Deal comes at the cost of everyone else being a Big Deal, so you're all equal -- and equally non-important now. You can trade your MySpace bands and no one is going to care about any of them. It's a trap.

The only way to escape the trap is to get over yourselves. You can do it through philosophy, but only applied with discipline -- not while you're listening to Portal, playing your ironic WOW character and posting to some dumbass metal forum. You need to get over yourselves. I'm exhausted with your pomposity, your self-importance and most of all, your monkey delusion.

Re: It's a trap
October 31, 2008, 05:14:11 PM
Likely one of the major reasons that this forum is one of two metal forums that I am apart of. I was even hesitant to join this forum but after following this site and this forum for awhile, most of the inspiring ideas and opinions outweighed the quibbling. I especially like the emphasis that A.N.U.S. puts on upholding only the best metal and abandoning the mediocre. I barely read any metal forums anymore. The worst of them seemed to be battlegrounds for status..usually fighting over trivia. I seldom look in on the other metal forum that I'm part of nowadays. It's often too collection oriented. The spirit of metal is more rewarding to read about than such and such a print of this record or what year Varg cut his hair...and then to watch people argue about that shit....

October 31, 2008, 07:20:35 PM
Narcissistic behavior? Like yet one more thread bitching about the behavior of other idiots in internet forums while simultaneously congratulating yourself on your supposedly evolved philosophical outlook? I've been reading this forum and its sister sites for years, and the quality of posts seems to be seriously diminished by people like yourself who can do nothing but whine about the conduct of everyone else. It's sophomoric and silly, and you come off looking like an angry, self-obsessed child.

Maybe the people you spend most of your time complaining about are wasting their time on something as trivial as internet forums because, like you, they don't have anything else to do in real life. Perhaps you would find more fulfillment acting in the positive than masticating in the negative.

October 31, 2008, 08:48:32 PM
Narcissistic behavior? Like yet one more thread bitching about the behavior of other idiots in internet forums while simultaneously congratulating yourself on your supposedly evolved philosophical outlook? I've been reading this forum and its sister sites for years, and the quality of posts seems to be seriously diminished by people like yourself who can do nothing but whine about the conduct of everyone else. It's sophomoric and silly, and you come off looking like an angry, self-obsessed child.

Maybe the people you spend most of your time complaining about are wasting their time on something as trivial as internet forums because, like you, they don't have anything else to do in real life. Perhaps you would find more fulfillment acting in the positive than masticating in the negative.

Either that, or maybe you resent being called out on your behavior?

What "positive action" does one take against bad behavior? "Setting an example" doesn't work -- you have to describe it and fight it!

Now we must ask: what are you so afraid of that you'd sign up for this forum to protest my post?

October 31, 2008, 09:07:13 PM

Either that, or maybe you resent being called out on your behavior?

What "positive action" does one take against bad behavior? "Setting an example" doesn't work -- you have to describe it and fight it!

Now we must ask: what are you so afraid of that you'd sign up for this forum to protest my post?

My behavior? I enjoy reading some of the posts on this forum, and I stop by a few times a week to catch up. In doing so, I've noticed that you post numerous threads that contain nothing but your own sanctimonious bleating about every perceived slight against your enlightened sense of reason. It's boring and tedious--not to mention ineffectual--and you seem to delight in contradicting your words with your actions. I thought may be of assistance in pointing this out to you, in the off chance that you would wish to correct this.

A positive action would be one that impacts the your world in a tangible, effective way--like learning a new language, tending to a garden, or practicing the cello. There's bad behavior on the internet--so what? People on internet message boards are silly. Big deal. Stop spending so much time trying to correct their behavior (which you cannot) while boasting about your own. Do something constructive with your time, instead of just whining. You might find that bitterness can be more easily alleviated by doing than speaking.

Now that I've said my piece, I'll go back to the woodshop and leave you to your sermons. Good luck, padre.

October 31, 2008, 10:32:43 PM
My behavior?

I saw a chance to maybe get some social points for putting you down. After all, no one wants to hear about how they're ineffectual weirdos. I figured I'd ignore any positive contributions you make, and focus on the fact that you try to keep us in line, which pisses me off and makes me feel inferior.

I'm really angry that you aren't simply knuckling under to my authority, like all my hipster buddies, because that's what I expect. Don't try to rise above the crowd and have a socially unpopular opinion. You'll anger people like me. I really hate the idea that anyone might be more right than the crowd, because that means we could all end up looking like idiots because this person sees what we're actually doing. I want to tear down anyone like that because they threaten me emotionally.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some ego repair to do.

What?

October 31, 2008, 11:09:48 PM
HA!

Cigno

November 01, 2008, 12:34:25 AM
User 1: I can count up to 1 000 000

User 2: I  can do it to 1 000 001

User 3:                      1 000 002

The rest is just literation

November 01, 2008, 01:26:42 AM

The only way to escape the trap is to get over yourselves. You can do it through philosophy, but only applied with discipline -- not while you're listening to Portal, playing your ironic WOW character and posting to some dumbass metal forum. You need to get over yourselves. I'm exhausted with your pomposity, your self-importance and most of all, your monkey delusion.

I think this thread has gone off the tracks.

I'll be honest - I like fighting with people. It's natural and the sign of a vital and alive being. I'm not allowed to take someone out physically, so when I feel the need I'll exert my will and power over others by arguing with them, often pointlessly. It's not all an ego play, even with my friends I get in trouble for correcting them a lot, but to me it's because I want to improve them and their ways of thinking, futile as it may be. Sometimes I argue out of boredom - I want someone to teach me something, so I'll raise a controversial point even though it might hurt to get a well-reasoned response. Do I really want to stop this conduct? If I really wanted to boost my ego, i'll keep quiet, put away my sword and go out into the world not changing anything. This way I'd not have to think about my life, and be comfortable in some prefabricated world-view. Turning to philosophy would give me reasons to justify myself in other ways - in my view, the main reason people read it (including myself). But I don't want to be a passive stoic and that's why I'll keep fighting against stupidity, injustice and how I think the world should be.

I don't want to talk for ASBO but I think we can fight two ways - with all defenses up, seeking to impose your will on others but not willing to be affected by anything anyone else says for fear of being butthurt. The other way is to go out honestly and bravely, being neither insecure nor smug, and opening yourself to experience and appreciating the consequences. The first way you'll remain in your narcissistic shell, while the second way you'll learn about how things are and be able to apply them next time around.   

November 01, 2008, 03:24:54 AM
My behavior?

I saw a chance to maybe get some social points for putting you down. After all, no one wants to hear about how they're ineffectual weirdos. I figured I'd ignore any positive contributions you make, and focus on the fact that you try to keep us in line, which pisses me off and makes me feel inferior.

I'm really angry that you aren't simply knuckling under to my authority, like all my hipster buddies, because that's what I expect. Don't try to rise above the crowd and have a socially unpopular opinion. You'll anger people like me. I really hate the idea that anyone might be more right than the crowd, because that means we could all end up looking like idiots because this person sees what we're actually doing. I want to tear down anyone like that because they threaten me emotionally.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some ego repair to do.

What?

aaaaaand i nearly fell off my chair.