Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Rules for Being a Modern Person

Re: Rules for Being a Modern Person
November 03, 2008, 08:50:53 AM
-Post on underground nihilist trve metal message boards while being hypocritically guilty of most of these things
-Blame it on 'modern people' (#1)
-Make a list of stuff you don't like, and numerate it as to make it seem comprehensive (#3)
-Pretend #23 is because you never wanted to in the first place.  #24 too, even!
-Accuse others of #25 not realizing there is a bit of violence and promiscuity in metal music especially VIOLENCE in DEATH METAL.

I'm guessing your trying to deride people here for hiding behind a fake persona and by implication that all posters here live behind a fake persona; however, I agree with your points where they apply to people that are living contradictory lives. Such people scorn others for bad ideals but live by those same bad ideals themself: the blame falls upon their peers/parents/the government (undoubtedly modern people). They might relieve some guilt by posting on anus.com/metal/hall while listening to sub-standard gore grind bands and getting on with their lives. I know, with great certainty, that not everyone on this forum is a living/ walking contradiction: those people don't conform to the above list.

I'll give you bonus points for implicity enumerating your list to make it seem comprehensive (#3).
Does it even matter whether a poster of ideals lives by them himself? It may make him a hypocrite, but that does not make the ideals themselves any worse or better. I, and I assume most here, find the exchange of thoughts more interesting than judging the virtue of others. If they are thinking of issues as these themselves, I am sure they do not need us to teach them self-reflection.

November 03, 2008, 08:43:11 PM
They didn't do it as a rule. Nowadays it's mandatory to lose your virginity as soon as possible, and ramp up your number of sexual conquests. Chastity and non-sexual relationships are no longer in vogue.

Well not everyone can be a Puritan. I lost my virginity at age 20 of my own choosing and since then have endeavored in fulfilling sexual relationships. These days, I really like to fuck my wife. What's the problem?

November 04, 2008, 12:41:34 AM
Does it even matter whether a poster of ideals lives by them himself?

If they say (post) that they believe in a set of ideals then they should live by such ideals. I'm not assuming perfection but people that outrightly lie about how they live are hardly worthy individuals (imo). This ties in well with hipsterism: hypocrcisy should not be encouraged regardless of the ideals we're talking about (see liberal atheism).

It may make him a hypocrite, but that does not make the ideals themselves any worse or better.

Part of my answer is above, my observation of hypocrites is that they tend to hold few tangible ideals (reality was long forgotten). I don't expect people to fully agree on every ideal but I give praise to those people that can live by their ideals
(regardless of whether I agree with such an ideal). Whether one set of ideals is better than another then I refer you to this website's mainpage.

I, and I assume most here, find the exchange of thoughts more interesting than judging the virtue of others. If they are thinking of issues as these themselves, I am sure they do not need us to teach them self-reflection.

Exchange of thoughts can be a worthwhile pursuit but exchagning thoughts with morons is not worthwhile (imo, again). I've met few people that are able to self-reflect while being able to relate to a greater whole, I found that the ideas (not ideals here) on this website helped me to progress from mostly individualistic thoughts and consider them in a greater context. Perhaps I was taught how to self-reflect better than I had previously done, I imagine some others may wish to follow a similar path.

November 04, 2008, 12:53:33 AM
They didn't do it as a rule. Nowadays it's mandatory to lose your virginity as soon as possible, and ramp up your number of sexual conquests. Chastity and non-sexual relationships are no longer in vogue.
What's the problem?

Sex with wife would be a healthy activity in my book, on numerous levels. That isn't the problem and I presume you are intentionally picking apart the original (ambiguous) wording.

Not everyone endeavours in fulfilling relationships, nevermind fulfilling sexual relationships. I'm not in favour of promoting rampant promiscuity, even if we assume total protection in all cases where children are not the desired outcome, I quesiton the necessity of such an act/ mode of thought. I don't believe that having innumerate sexual partners conforms to an ideal of a healthy love life (assuming protection; negating STD argument).