Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Interview with Averse Sefira.

Interview with Averse Sefira.
November 12, 2008, 08:26:48 AM
I conducted this interview with Averse Sefira via email sometime ago, and merely posted it out of interest as I recently stumbled across it again in my blog's archives. Here it is for anyone else who may be interested:

Averse Sefira Interview with Wrath and Sanguine (Conducted by Tyler Gebar)

Averse Sefira has become a well known weapon within the arsenal of black metal. In a genre overpopulated with languid practice and naive intent, this ensemble harnesses melody like a blade making delicate incursions into the vitality of the cosmos. Yet despite this precision, each advance unleashes a maelstrom of blistering sands drawn from the wastelands of their inner-being; where the spirit incinerates any scant trace of weakness and mediocrity. Now that my romanticizing is over with, I give you the compelling words of two very commendable artists...

1. Black metal has become redundant both ideologically and musically in recent years. Many would say that ideology, or perhaps the pretentious portrayal of a facade, has become more important to black metal musicians than injecting the true spirit of their unique perceptions into the raw force of music that they craft. Do you believe that this is true, and if so, to what do you attribute this decline?

WSD: I would say this is as true as not. That is a slippery idea because it is subjective. Some bands present with concepts and music that demonstrate their lack of understanding, but at the same time they believe in it so would that count as a facade? My standing complaint is that only a small portion of bands bother to fully understand the nature of the art before forming their own bands and then propagating their mistaken interpretations. Sanguine and I were metalheads since the mid-80s and still we took our time in forming Averse Sefira because we wanted to do it right and not have an early career that was riddled with missteps. So in regards to this decline you mention it seems that the urgency of getting on the bandwagon is probably the biggest culprit.

2. The song structure of your music often bears similarities to the thematic writing of classical composers. Do you enjoy classical and romanticist composers, and how do they influence your work?

WSD: We enjoy it very much. Classical music was some of the first music to which I ever actively listened, starting at about age three. Sanguine is actually an even more avid fan than I, and he attends concerts regularly (which is something I need to get back to doing myself). He also listens to a lot of film soundtracks that have orchestral arrangements. Beethoven, Wagner, Mussorgsky, Prokofiev, and  Mozart are all part of our musical landscape. Much of our arrangements, particularly on the last two albums, have been written with this paradigm in mind. It seems that black metal draws upon classical much more than other forms of extreme music.

3. I have read in past interviews that your albums "Homecoming's March" and "Battle's Clarion" form a complex narration of mysticism inspired by material found in Kabbalic mythology. The albums seemed to interpret the exile of certain sefira from the realm of god, who rebelled against their creator in the ultimate act of attaining freedom (correct me if I am dead wrong on this). To be honest, I have yet to discover how "Tetragrammatical Astygmata "and "Advent Parallax" fit into this plot line. Do these albums continue the conceptual leanings of your early releases?

SM: Interesting question, I've been wondering the same thing myself. For one interpretation of the first two albums, I don't think you're wrong. Initially, all the albums were to fall under an umbrella of themes, with multiple trails of thought weaving together (linked together songs, placement of songs, embedded shallow numerology) to allow every song to have a place in a "correct order." As evolution has occurred, progression taken place and gateways passed through, old forms have been shed in favor of a refinement of original purpose.

Conceptually, the key themes from the first two albums are the same as the key themes of the latter two albums, just dressed differently. Creation springs from destruction in an endless cycle until the cycle is broken. The celestial becomes the terrestrial as the flesh melts away and becomes spirit. The "I" at whatever level of consciousness(es), must come to grips with the process of change and the consequences of transformation. Shaatialn.

4. Whereas "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" found beauty in the roar of the infernal; the dissonance seems to have been restrained upon "Advent Parallax". However, the anthemic melodies paint broader strokes, and are much more pronounced. Was this a calculated progression, or did the change occur naturally?

SM: The vibrations of "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" reflected the flesh while describing the spirit. "Advent Parallax" vibrates the spirit while reflecting the flesh. There was hidden purpose in the intertwining of these frequencies, a purpose not yet revealed. There was a natural calculation that produced progression. It's all part of chasing the dragon. The dragon is either caught and the last seal of understanding is broken and there is nothing left to accomplish or the pursuer is broken in the pursuit, devoured by the dragon and there is nothing left to accomplish. In the end, there is only the void. Only death is real. Thyapihlon.

5. What particular forces introduced you to the metal genre, and what were your initial reactions to it?

WSD: I was driven by "the noise inside my head" as Sanguine has always called it. I started at post-infancy with a fixation on bombastic classical music and Alice Cooper (more for his aesthetic than anything else) and then moved on to progressively louder and scarier things. Actually, I was still very young when Motley Crue broke out with "Shout at the Devil", and I flatly rejected it because they looked like ugly girls and it struck me as gross and stupid. Thrash and proto-death/black reached me more immediately, however, and so I quickly became an adherent to all the well-known acts like Sodom, Celtic Frost, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Voivod, etc. Right about this time I realized that this music was all I really ever wanted out of life. It was not just music but a way of being. I have a lot more to show for myself than just metal, but without it my reality would be a much blander and unexciting one.

6. Several people seem to recognize that the filth of the human race is clogging the pores of our land, and in effect devouring the environment at an agonizing pace. How do you feel about environmental concerns, and those who advocate major change in order to stabilize the planet? Also, do you feel a deeper bond with nature than most around you?

WSD: Eliminating two-thirds of humankind from the globe would be a good start. I myself refuse to breed and I wish more people felt the same. I have an appreciation for nature, yes, though I would be lying if I said I had a deeper bond. I spend most of my time in cities as this is where most of my necessary doings occur.

7. A splurge question, if I may. Reality is said to be the perception of your surroundings through your senses. However, the same stimulus can be interpreted in a vastly different manner by the individual than that of their peers. Do you believe that what the senses experience is subjective, that these experiences define reality, and if so, how do you believe one must measure the validity of their actions?

WSD: I suppose due to our exploration of metaphysics Averse Sefira invites many existential questions. I believe in the idea of a consensus reality where everyone can agree on certain perceptions that are known to be true- the sky is blue, the sun is hot, we need air to breathe, etc. Of course past this consensus there are many vastly different realities in which people live, some to their own delusion and detriment. But I would not agree that reality is wholly subjective any more than its governing factors of time and space.

8. In conclusion, are there any particular words of wisdom or notification that you would like to impart upon your fans who frequent this website?

WSD: I'll take the opportunity to announce that "Advent Parallax" will soon be out on LP through The Ajna Offensive (www.theajnaoffensive.com) Support this excellent label. Also, www.josasmith.com is where one should go to see the works of Jos A. Smith, as his work adorns the cover of "Advent Parallax".

"The Fire says, 'I am your Master. I govern you all as Passions. The Body melts at my touch. The Spirit burns at ignition. The Soul ashes at recession. The Mind an inferno at my stoking.'" -  Averse Sefira

Re: Interview with Averse Sefira.
November 15, 2008, 04:14:01 PM
Good questions, interesting answers. Thanks for sharing.