Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Title this thread

Title this thread
October 27, 2004, 02:19:06 PM
Is it

"Who's who in metal 1995"

or

"Bands in 2004 who should call it quits"

?

HERE'S THE LIST:

Deicide
Suffocation
Morbid Angel
Slayer
Celtic Frost
Napalm Death
Therion
Emperor
Darkthrone
Enslaved

Re: Title this thread
October 27, 2004, 03:35:41 PM
Given that one of those bands has called it quits already, I'd say the first one.

Although, 1995 isn't terribly accurate, either- most of those bands peaked in '91-'93, and all of those bands were on the decline by '95.

That said, I had no idea that Napalm Death had even been active over the last 12 years or so without looking them up.

Annihilaytorr

October 27, 2004, 03:35:50 PM
Bands in 2004 that should call it quits. If the other option was who is who in metal in say, 92, it would be both, but many of those bands had lost their way by 95.

October 27, 2004, 03:43:52 PM
Geeze I didn't even know Celtic Frost was still around.  I thought they broke up.

I saw Suffocation and Morbid Angel live a couple months ago and the live shows are still decent, but they may want to consider hanging their hats if they keep releasing the albums they have been (at least have the dignity to end your band on a high note).

Deicide- I walked out of a concert when they were about to play...partly because it was 12:30 and I needed to drive my friend home...but I wasn't kicking and screaming about it...Deicide should stop.

Slayer should stop.

Napalm Death should stop or give themselves a face lift.

Therion I still hold out hope for (I haven't heard the new albums but the past couple of studio albums were starting to sound the same and there were some infusions of stadium metal riffs it sounded like)...but agian I still hold out with Therion and wouldn't tell them to hang their hats.

Darkthrone...same old same old.

Emperor- There's one band that at least put themselves to sleep without letting themselves put out to many albums that would have killed the legacy of their early work-Kudos to them for the wise choice.

Enslaved- I still like them and want to see them continue (they are still one of my favorite bands) but I would like to see them bring back some elements of old.

What to title this list though?  I don't know probably "Grab some canes because here are some bands that should hang their hats, and some that need to freshen up."

October 27, 2004, 05:35:09 PM
I liked the Suffocation comeback album, but it wasn't exactly necessary.  

I don't even know what the other bands have been doing lately except Morbid Angel (and Emperor I guess, if "nothing" counts).

October 28, 2004, 05:06:03 AM
maybe black, death and grind styles should stop alltogether, or have they already? ceased in worth.

October 28, 2004, 08:48:03 PM
I thought that Morbid Angel's "Heretic" and Napalm Death's "Enemies of the Music Business" were quite good. I listen to them both pretty regularly.
I don't think that Morbid Angels lyrics could ever lose relevance, as they aren't really relevant to anything at all - and the musical integrity is still there. (In my opinion)
However, I must admit, I wasn't entirely convinced by the title track of "Enemies", unless someone explains it, I don't get how a commercial band could not be helping the music industry.

October 29, 2004, 01:30:56 AM
The latter. Half of those bands wouldn't make it into a top 20 of best bands going in 1995, while all of them are producing meaningless tripe these days (or were when they split up).

January 09, 2006, 04:24:31 AM
In 1995, they still had some claim to relevance. I think that was before Therion's disastrous "Lepaca Kliffoth," and whatever disaster Napalm Death cranked out after F.E.D. Deicide was still on "Once Upon the Cross" and Celtic Frost was, admittedly, probably dead. The question was rhetorical. The point is that metal bands have finite lives. The longest-running non-selling-out band that doesn't suck would probably be Graveland or Sinister.

TC

January 09, 2006, 12:17:17 PM
The longest-running non-selling-out band that doesn't suck would probably be Graveland or Sinister

you have no use for the current Darkthrone output?

my band played with therion a few months ago.  i haven't really paid attention to them since, oh, 1993 so i was surprised to hear what they were doing now.  they had a mini-operatic section on stage with them (three girls, two guys) and were very tight.  they also still played some older "heavy" stuff.  they were pretty impressive live.

January 09, 2006, 01:42:56 PM
In 1995, they still had some claim to relevance. I think that was before Therion's disastrous "Lepaca Kliffoth," and whatever disaster Napalm Death cranked out after F.E.D. Deicide was still on "Once Upon the Cross" and Celtic Frost was, admittedly, probably dead. The question was rhetorical. The point is that metal bands have finite lives. The longest-running non-selling-out band that doesn't suck would probably be Graveland or Sinister.

Graveland's newest kind of sucks, really.  Sinister, I've never heard anything after Hate (which is fucking excellent).

Deicide being on OUTC = Failure-era Deicide.  Not as bad as they'd fail later, but still pretty bad.

Modern Darkthrone?  I might as well listen to GBK.

January 09, 2006, 02:26:00 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is GBk?

January 09, 2006, 02:33:56 PM
Grand Belial's Key.  Shitty hardcore masquerading as NSBM.