Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Flying the flag of Metal

Flying the flag of Metal
November 30, 2008, 06:34:46 AM
The metal t-shirt represents an element of metal culture that is misunderstood by both outsider observers and metalheads themselves. To the outsider,
the metal t-shirt so often appears to be a fashion statement and an attempt to be extreme or shocking.

To the misguided or ill-informed metalhead, the band t-shirt is a way to scare civilian-types, and accordingly, is of little meaning beyond an aesthetic one.

To a true metalhead, wearing a band-shirt is something natural and organic: it is not a fashion statement or a social statement, it is a statement of one's heritage. Just as we fly the flag
or flags of our ancestors as a tribute to our heritage, we wear t-shirts with album covers and band logos out of dedication to our heritage as metalheads. The metal shirt has the effect
of binding our duty to the tradition of metal, and the secondary effect of reminiding others of our dispraportionate contribution to society - a reminder that that the guy who is pulling
his office floor's weight listens to Death and Black Metal, just as that thoughtful student, who isalways there to answer the questions his classmates (and possibly teachers) cannot, does.

From time to time, I will walk into a classroom or a business-place and be meet with odd, akward stares. "I wonder what that's about?", I ask myself. "Oh, yeah, the Immolation t-shirt."  I usually ignore the stares, and return to whatever it was that brought me there in the first place.These examples represent situations in which flying the flag of metal is, though not without controversy, a neccessary act.

As metalheads, we sometimes forget that there are situations in which flying the flag is not only unnessarily, but also quite thoughtless. I have compiled a short list of such situations here:

- when attending a funeral
-when presenting your master's thesis to the university
-when visiting a sick,elderly relative or friend, it might be wise to leave the "Pure Holocaust" t-shirt at home. (note: refferencing the lyrics to Death's "Pull the Plug" is similarly inappropriate)
- when meeting your girlfriend's highly religious parents
- when conducting church arson missions
- when appearing in court to dispute the charge that you tourched that chuch

Re: Flying the flag of Metal
November 30, 2008, 08:42:55 AM
Is it Ok to wear a Death t-shirt on world AIDS day, or to a Gay pride rally?

November 30, 2008, 04:20:48 PM
This reminds of when Guitar Hero first came out. I used to go out wearing a Slayer shirt when I wanted people to stay the fuck away. Other band shirts mean nothing to non-metalheads because they don't recognize the pictures. However, the Slayer shirt I have has a Nazi Eagle and a pentagram, symbols that everyone can recognize and know to stay away from. However after Guitar Hero was released, wearing a Slayer shirt became an open invitation for every retard to talk to me about Guitar Hero. Apparently Guitar Hero had Raining Blood or something in the game and now suddenly everyone loves Slayer even though they've only heard that one song. It was my first realization that band shirts really mean nothing. Wearing a band shirt does not show heritage, but rather makes you look like a trend follower. I have since stopped wearing band shirts. I also stopped wearing my hair loose because everyone, including peers, think I am a hippie. I don't see how someone wearing all black a pentagram and a Nazi eagle can seem like a hippie, but apparently I do. I really don't look like much of a metalhead anymore and people actually are more scared of me now than when I wore images intended to scare people away. Metalheads are seen as a joke and dressing like a metalhead is becoming a questionable practice. I say only wear band shirts to concerts or something so Hessians can recognize each other from the bands on their shirts.

December 01, 2008, 03:04:57 AM
and what about the people that wear a metal t-shirt but then participate in behavior which only makes society look down on us even more? every metal scene has creepsters, junkies, drunks, and just plain losers. methinks we should ban them from flying the flag of metal. afterall, they're taking upon themselves a responsibility they can't live up to.

dll

December 01, 2008, 11:01:51 AM
Because whenever I wear a metal t-shirt I always get looks from other metalheads, always comments, always little conversations. Only all of these people turn out to love metal because they are "EXETREMELY AWESOME AND BR00TAL PEOPLE D00D!!!11!", sometimes I don't want to associate myself with idiots. By wearing a metal t-shirt they feel they are automatically friends with other people wearing metal t-shirts. That they are into something very secretive.

This is my biggest issue when it comes to metal t-shirts. For the most part where I live, nobody really listens to death/black metal, but the few brootal hxc kids who might recognize my shirt always have to comment on it. It is then usually followed by them asking me if I listen to a long list of whatever shitty bands they listen to. In short, it's fucking annoying.

December 01, 2008, 12:07:54 PM
It also depends on the design of the shirt a lot. I like simple shirts like ones with a logo only. Shirts like the Summoning one with only a small logo in the front or Ride For Revenge with the rider design, no text at all, are better suited for numerous occasions than a Crimson Moon shirt with vampires graphically raping angels or the Immolation shirt with ultra size block letters stating "DEATH TO JESUS". The perspective is totally different depending on the location of course; in Finland this kind of "metal clothing" is so normal that even the latter examples fail to stir much reaction. But as with all clothing, I'm not into heavy "personality statements" but rather that it should be something that goes on well with the weather and the occasion, to be either totally neutral or to bring some metal imagery (and through it, ancient mythology -> philosophy) to the boring world of schools and jobs.

December 01, 2008, 06:23:20 PM
It is interesting how metal more than any other genre, is orientated around showing allegiance to bands through t-shirts and badges. No other subculture or image is defined quite so much by the bands and their various logos.

December 02, 2008, 01:57:23 AM
I've completely abandoned the "metal look" for most of the reasons that have been previously stated.  People tend to just assume you're a retarded dope fiend when you look like a metalhead.  My suggestion to everyone would be to simply dress like a total fascist.  It's a far more effective mode of dress.  Just be sure not to dress like some kind of ass ramming NAZI jack off.

December 02, 2008, 04:01:45 AM
It is interesting how metal more than any other genre, is orientated around showing allegiance to bands through t-shirts and badges. No other subculture or image is defined quite so much by the bands and their various logos.

Punk.

ken

December 02, 2008, 05:40:37 AM
Is it Ok to wear a Death t-shirt on world AIDS day, or to a Gay pride rally?

You have made my day.

December 02, 2008, 11:36:34 PM
My suggestion to everyone would be to simply dress like a total fascist.  It's a far more effective mode of dress.  Just be sure not to dress like some kind of ass ramming NAZI jack off.
What do you exactly mean by dressing fascist?
I suppose fascist isn't the best descriptive term for dress, but I'll try to explain what I mean as best as I can.  Note: I'll only cover male dress in Western culture.
1). Wear appropriately fitting and clean clothing, nothing shabby or baggy
2). Preferably a dress shirt in combination with slacks
3). Hair should be short and managed, along with any facial hair
4). Avoid flashy and/or homosexual accessories
5). Try to look overall professional (perhaps that's a much better term) but not like a yuppy

I actually just came across this, which is a pretty good example.

Most of this is pretty much common sense stuff.  I didn't mean anything out there by it.

edit:
I just remembered this, now everybody read it.

December 03, 2008, 01:50:48 AM

I don't think some of us would agree with keeping hair short. It's a bit of a throwback to World War I to keep lice out of the hair on the battlefield, although I believe more working class individuals should keep it short out of necessity.

On the other hand, I will agree that it should be kept neat, and possibly tied back in more professional settings (not necessarily work, but that would be one situation) as well as any facial hair one chooses to grow.

December 03, 2008, 02:37:29 AM
Quote from: My AIDS, Your Arse
I don't think some of us would agree with keeping hair short. It's a bit of a throwback to World War I to keep lice out of the hair on the battlefield,

Point taken.  This may be a case of my personal prejudice seeping in, as I tend to prefer short hair.

December 03, 2008, 02:58:38 AM

I'm not saying to never wear a metal t-shirt, just maybe not as often as we all do. Though by wearing a metal t-shirt in a place were image (such as the first day of work/school) doesn't matter, it often can be a good thing. Because you can repaint the image of the metalhead. People love to write off metal as bullshit, in part it is because the average metalhead is just a failure in a black t-shirt. We can change this. Be succesful at what you do, make people make the connection, at least subconsciously, between metal and intelligence.

You sum up my position quite well. While there are certain occasions in which identifying oneself as a Metalhead/Hessian is quite silly and counter-productive, there is a great need to take back the flag, as it were, from both the Metalheads who bring dishonour upon it, and those outsiders who contribute to the continuation of the view that Metal is to be disregarded or not taken seriously. A big part of the problem stems from the perception that Metal exists within the realm of consumer culture, which stands out of line with the motivations that have directed the creation of true Metal art.

I consider long hair to be another thing that has been made into fashion or trend, despite its basis in traditional, pre-modern folk ways. I always find it kind of funny that people so strongly associtate long hair with lazy-ass hippies, when it is in fact something so tied to nobility. Look at European nobility from as far back as pre-Christian times, as well as our Founding Fathers, for that matter.

Jewbob, I can understand where you're coming from with the fascist connection, but in my mind it's kinda silly that something traditional and civilized has to be associated with fascism. I don't remember fascists inventing the practice of presenting oneself well and with dignity. 

December 03, 2008, 04:38:23 AM
My suggestion to everyone would be to simply dress like a total fascist.  It's a far more effective mode of dress.  Just be sure not to dress like some kind of ass ramming NAZI jack off.
What do you exactly mean by dressing fascist?
I suppose fascist isn't the best descriptive term for dress, but I'll try to explain what I mean as best as I can.  Note: I'll only cover male dress in Western culture.
1). Wear appropriately fitting and clean clothing, nothing shabby or baggy
2). Preferably a dress shirt in combination with slacks
4). Avoid flashy and/or homosexual accessories
5). Try to look overall professional (perhaps that's a much better term) but not like a yuppy

I actually just came across this, which is a pretty good example.

Most of this is pretty much common sense stuff.  I didn't mean anything out there by it.

edit:
I just remembered this, now everybody read it.

It is interesting. As an, er...older Hessian, I went through this whole "transformation" years ago - that is from long hair, denim and leather, etc., to more "mature" clothing, short hair and the like. I grew bored with all that. It never felt terribly natural or right for me. Professionally I still wear what is appropriate to the business situaton, but in my personal life, I don't dress all that much different now than I did in '87 or so - just neater, no holes in my jeans and as for the hair...well, genetics seems to have taken care of that dilemma for me. No one that matters treats me any differently as a result...though I do get strange looks here and there, but after so many years of that type of thing, I barely take notice.