Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Arcturus

Arcturus
November 27, 2005, 02:14:52 PM
 ;D  Radian here, im new to the site. Does anyone know much about a band called Arcturus. I have heard one song of theres of which I really liked. Could any one name me some of there best albums
Cheers!

Re: Arcturus
November 27, 2005, 02:30:04 PM
Their first two releases are Black Metal classics much sought after by many, including myself. They used to be, basically, a big side project for Hellhammer (Mayhem) and at one point Samoth (Emperor) however through the years they have suffered many lineup changes. I haven't heard any recent material of theirs, however their early work is among my favorite of the entire BM period.

I HAVE heard that they have turned to theatrics, and I am probably only avoiding listening to newer stuff in fear they've became a Demon Burger clone.

I should also mention their new vocalist (Vortex)  is also the backup vocalist for Demon Burger themselves, and from what I have read their new work is highyl progressive and no longer Black Metal.

chthonian

November 27, 2005, 02:34:57 PM
I haven't heard Arcturus in a long time, but everything I have heard from them I remember being completely boring ass generic shit. I would even go as far to say that Vaginal Jesus seems way more black metal to me than Arcturus.

November 27, 2005, 02:44:57 PM
I am assuming you've never heard Constellation then...

chthonian

November 27, 2005, 02:56:45 PM
Perhaps I haven't heard that, I'll willing to give it a try though. Can you describe what it sounds like?

November 27, 2005, 03:08:11 PM
It is, like most of their work, very much run by the keyboards as the guitars take a back seat. Basically, symphonic black metal with low quality recording (which can be a good thing). If I remember correctly from the last time I listened (a long time ago) they incorperated both screams as well as clean, epic vocals.

Their reliance on keyboards reminds me a lot of emperor, even though there are some major musical differences as well. If you didn't like Aspera Hiems... than you probably will not like this.

If you haven't heard Aspera, then I reccomend you try it out, though preferably without spending any money (not everyone likes it... took me a long while to warm up at all to it). My main bone with them is not really with them, but with the style they helped create, which is the style that such shitty bands as Dimmu (and later emperor) use today (clean as well as screaming vocals, keyboard reliance, slower tempos in some cases)

I am not going to say they are absolutely amazing albums, however in my opinion the first two were a big part of the later black metal era.

chthonian

November 27, 2005, 03:12:51 PM
I'll still try them out, but now I know I won't like them. The whole "epic black metal" crap in my opinion is a joke, there's very little that's dark about it. Using keyboards in black metal isn't a bad idea, but then usually it sounds like circus music, it's not the keyboards, it's the entire band that sucks! Also, clean vocals are completely unwelcome. In fact, I can't enjoy black metal unless the vocals are distorted, otherwise it just sounds to human, and ironically artificial. Yes, I said it, distortion sounds less artificial than the real thing.

November 28, 2005, 03:48:52 PM
Do you not feel that some black metal is trying to creat a magical out of this world sound, dont know about you but I would go to the carnival or circus to expereance magic. I like the incorperation of a carnival sound!  But then everyones taste is different.

November 28, 2005, 03:50:23 PM
Are you saying Dimmu is shitty because you dont personally like there music? or that you feel they have no musical talent?

November 28, 2005, 08:51:05 PM
Its not the musical talent, its the philosophical comprehension and artistic talent. The song 'metal heart' off Godless Savage garden, I'll be the first to say, has a very nice solo, however neither musical ability nor aesthetics can cover up the sellout effect that happens sometimes in an artist.

November 28, 2005, 10:54:37 PM
Ridiculously grandiose, nauseatingly pretentious shite, I'm afraid.