Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What is "Black" to you?

chthonian

What is "Black" to you?
November 28, 2005, 12:06:03 PM
Since it seems that everyone has their own idea of what "black" is (in Black Metal,) I'm interested in seeing how many of you will agree/disagree in your opinions, and if you can back up your opinions either objectively or logically.

So, what is "black"?

Annihilaytorr

Re: What is "Black" to you?
November 28, 2005, 12:51:45 PM

The old link stopped working.

November 28, 2005, 02:39:21 PM
 :)In Black metal it is a reference to black magic.
In a state of permanent Abyss

November 28, 2005, 09:15:12 PM

Nice one, retard. Watch the master at work:

November 28, 2005, 09:29:35 PM
This is the worst troll yet.

chthonian

November 28, 2005, 09:42:19 PM
This is the worst troll yet.

Stay on topic please.

November 28, 2005, 10:07:37 PM
This is the second thread you've started about the same irrelevant, pointless idea, other people mock it by posting pics from black sitcoms and you tell ME to stay on topic?  Hilarious.

November 28, 2005, 10:15:15 PM

What's black is dark. What the hell, who cares?

chthonian

November 28, 2005, 10:50:43 PM
This thread was supposed to be a serious discussion about what Black meant as in "Black Metal" (I forgot to mention that.) Now this thread just goes to show that the people here just don't care about terms, or you're all just pulling my leg (which is actually my huge black penis.)

: ::) ::)

Annihilaytorr

November 29, 2005, 01:07:04 AM
Mystifer is both Black and Metal, where as the Fresh Prince is neither...mine's better.

November 29, 2005, 01:15:46 AM
This is true Black Metal:

Ice T and Body Count bizatch

chthonian

November 29, 2005, 01:48:11 AM
I actually like Mystifier's old stuff, so much distortion, it was great...

November 29, 2005, 03:24:22 AM
Don't you learn, this whole discussion is pointless, who gives a shit about the terms. Genre distinction is ultimately fucking pointless. You shouldn't be surprised this thread was mocked.

We have a general working understanding of what black metal is, what death metal is, etc, and often bands blur the lines and thats fine, it makes for a nice bit of curiosity but its nothing to spend a ton of time on or really worry about. It ultimately doesn't matter how you divide them up; the quality and honesty in music is what counts, is what makes music worth sharing and appreciating. You could call Burzum electronic hard rock and it wouldn't change the power of the music.
You call yourself free? Let me hear your ruling thoughts, and not that you have escaped bondage. Are you one who deserved to escape from it?

November 29, 2005, 09:31:31 PM
http://www.gnaa.us/

I don't think genre distinction is pointless. Each genre is its own artistic movement. Cradle of Filth never was black metal; Burzum always was.

If you want to know what's "black," read the English Romantic and Gothic writers. They're the archetype for black metal.

November 29, 2005, 11:53:52 PM
Ok I probably said something too much in distinction itself being pointless, I don't think thats what I meant, it was more like getting really nit-picky about distinctions that was bothering me, and chthonian's question seemed to be doing that, trying to say something to the effect of "we improperly understand black metal, it must be defined in terms of aesthetic and philosophy, the black metal aesthetic and philosophy include bands other then the typically considered black metal bands and may exclude some of the typically considered black metal bands".

I don't think this works simply because the distinction for black metal is in the fact that it was an artistic movement, that it was defined by those who were a part of it, and we can label it like a historical period. This leaves out the possibility of new black metal, and I personally think that this is fine.
You call yourself free? Let me hear your ruling thoughts, and not that you have escaped bondage. Are you one who deserved to escape from it?