Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

No Metal in the bible belt?

Wolfbane

No Metal in the bible belt?
October 27, 2004, 10:40:50 PM
I really have noticed this now when looking up tour dates and looking for metal concerts near Nashville. I have found none at all and only two bands from my state(Brodequin and Intruder). There is no venues here that have metal acts play. Any one else live here and can relate and have any advice?

Re: No Metal in the bible belt?
October 30, 2004, 12:01:51 PM
This has nothing to do with your question, but Brodequin are awesome.

November 04, 2004, 12:11:06 AM
I live in North Carolina, and I've noted similar problems finding metal bands.  Everyone here listens to hip-hop and not much else, so I guess that's the root of the problem.

November 04, 2004, 05:12:39 PM
Brodequin are horrible. Really.

May 12, 2006, 06:36:33 PM
I really have noticed this now when looking up tour dates and looking for metal concerts near Nashville.

Metal is in a bad position: it explicitly rebels against Christianity, thus many parents who tolerate Eminem talking about anal rape think metal is "too much." At the same time, it doesn't rebel in some tangible idiot way, like "smoke pot / fuck ass / drink beer / vote 4 Che" and so is less popular with the unthinking horde. Most people are, as a great writer said, misinformed...

Iconoclast

May 12, 2006, 08:05:21 PM
The culmination of nebraskan metal:

http://www.myspace.com/armyofinbetween

The guy behind the band:

http://www.myspace.com/pittripply
http://www.armyofinbetween.com/pittripply/

Before you make judgements upon me, based on your path of education within your seperated society, please use your brain and do your research. I live for art, I am not living a phase or fake life. I am just being who I am and showing off my creativity. Do not attempt to talk to me with derogatory statements, as I will just laugh at you, and you will be the idiot. Be who you are and do not bother me if you disagree with my lifestyle. I am a very respectful and intelligent person towards everyone (unless you do not deserve it) and wish to be treated that way by everyone. I do not make fun of people or reach for derogatory/negative heights, as I am a humanist, reaching for the highest grounds to progress in everyone.

I decided to fire him a message:

"Where did you get those awesome spooky skeleton pajamas? I had a pair of those in ultra-small size when I was 7 years old, but obviously I outgrew them and have only boxers to wear around the house now. It saddens me.

Your correspondence is urgent, for the good of human kind! For the good of starving minorities everywhere! For the good of Israeli black metal!

Please answer. Thanks and bye.

Necro Jesus the Real,
Mc.D."

May 12, 2006, 08:12:13 PM
It's clear that the true reason he wears that ridiculous hat is to hide the worst receding hairline known to man.

May 12, 2006, 10:03:42 PM
Realistically speaking, Atlanta, GA and a few spots in Florida are the only southern US cities that receive consistent support from metal bands. As has been mentioned, the liberal ideology that is intertwined in most metal music clashes heavily with conservative, southern culture; the result is that most metal bands choose to hold shows in the north-eastern and mid-western parts of the country, where support for such music--and such mindsets--is more widespread.

I currently attend college in a small, north-western Georgian town, and I spend only my summers in Nashville, TN (though I have lived here for almost 20 years now), and sadly, there still is little metal-related interest in the area. There are a few small bars/clubs that book true metal bands (as apposed to the -core crap that's so commonly touted as "metal" and can be seen on-stage at least twice a week at various venues), but for the most part, a tiny downtown site called The Muse is the only place that regularly schedules metal shows (I believe Exodus played there with a bunch of banal -core bands on Tuesday night, and the Suffocation/Cryptopsy/Aborted tour came through that same spot during the week of Thanksgiving).

Looking at future dates, the only concert of note is the Sleep Terror show on Jul 31 at a bar/club called Wallstreet, but that too will probably be crowded with –core bands/fans, as the main member of Sleep Terror wishes to remain removed from the modern death metal crowds.

If you’re looking for music stores that support metal, check out the independently owned/operated store called The Great Escape; its used CD selection is often littered with discarded metal relics.

If you ever want a ride to an out-of-state metal show--and are willing to share gas fees--let me know; I ocassionally take trips down to Atlanta, GA and up to Louisville, KY if a show interests me enough (there are rumors that a reunited Atheist will be playing a warm-up show in Atlanta sometime in July).

Wolfbane

May 12, 2006, 11:17:23 PM
The Muse is better than the Christian Rocketown(that place is retard central, will never go there). But both are infested with core retards. I don't attend any shows which saves me lots of money. Minus the country music industry and Nashville is just your boring American city. It's also the center of the Christian Music industry as well. It's really turning into Florida with most people who live here are just carpetbaggers from the north. I'm surprised that metal bands don't tour here with all colleges and such around here. But then again the only white, non-christian affilated college is Vanderbilt.

I think its sad when more metal bands tour multiple places in NC but never come here. Sometimes I still wish I lived there.

Here's an example of our great "metal scene":
www.myspace.com/asitburnstn
all those guys go to my school btw

Anyway, I might take up your offer one day weeman.

May 13, 2006, 10:11:58 AM
I see the same thing, but according to this site metal is anti-liberal.

Oh noes! Is it possible that labels are not literal?

In philosophical terms, "conservative" culture is quite often liberal -- remember that America was founded on liberal ideals and from that conservative culture emerged only as a response to greater impulses toward liberalization.

May 13, 2006, 05:03:14 PM
Yes it sucks ass living in the Bible Belt.
Also everything is consumed by Christianity, it's not so much as "Southern Culture."

May 14, 2006, 03:03:03 PM
As a resident of Eastern Kentucky i can attest to the fact that metal as a subcultural entity is basically non-existent.  i when i say "metal" i mean actual traditional metal culture, ie. heavy,speed,black,death,doom, bullet belts, leather spikes etc.  Most of the musical scenes around these parts have been completely absorbed into the metal-core/hardcore orbit and have lost any validity.  On a sidenote most of the fans in this area, i don't know about other areas across the US, are completely consumed by their own fatalism and self-pity.  Most of the "metalheads" in this area, and i use the term "metalhead" loosely are basically drug addicts, whores or any other burn out loser who have a casual interest in any type of heavy music and are accepted willingly into the fold.  I refer to them as the "you can't judge me generation" as most of these people aside from being complete wastes of space are also humanists and masochists that thrive on their pity as well as the pity of others.  They use MySpace to expound upon their fatalism and to hold a community pity party for their failings.  Apparently, the goth, emo, and other suicidal cess pools have completely eroded what was left of the metal subculture.  I for one have distanced myself from the local music scene altogether and their quasi-messianic posturing.  This is my first post by the way :).

May 14, 2006, 10:19:08 PM
Living in Mississippi means I have a very low probability of seeing bands are aren't a metalcore/hardcore/melodic death crapfest. If you're talking about a "scene" in the sense of tape/CD trading, there are a few metalheads around. In fact, the practice of trading CD's is extremely well developed around here, due to limited/nonexistant metal speciality stores and lack of education about mail-ordering.

Remember, Shows are only a visual sign of metal's prescence. They aren't the end-all of a metal "scene".

May 18, 2006, 12:27:07 AM
The future for metal as a whole is relatively bleak everywhere. The bible belt may not have as much extreme metal as other parts of the world, but those other parts that do have an excess of extreme metal also have an excess of redundancy and angsty teenage wannabe-goths (in my humble opinion). One such area is TEXAS, where I happen to reside.

May 18, 2006, 01:00:51 PM
It's the same situation in Europe, you get the odd person who's into extreme metal, but then they might like a load of crap as well, like Trivium or something. It is very rare to meat someone who actually can tell the difference between decent music and wannabes and copies.