Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

CD storage technology

CD storage technology
December 13, 2008, 12:28:28 AM
Sorry to disrupt this forum with a prosaic topic, but what are the best ways to keep your CDs at hand and yet safe?

I'm thinking about a large CD rack, but these -- preferrably able to fit 1,000 CDs -- are hard as hell to find.

One option is to cut wood and make one, but to do that right is a project I'd prefer defer given space and time constraints at this point.

Practical options are appreciated.

Re: CD storage technology
December 13, 2008, 12:45:39 AM
You could modify a large book shelf.

December 13, 2008, 01:35:44 AM
My understanding is, like vinyls, CDs should be stored vertically for longevity.

A bookcase allows this and is more practical than a CD rack.

December 13, 2008, 04:11:39 PM
Another good method could be a CD-booklet or binder with all pages fitted with slip pockets.  They're bigger ones than the small 24-32 CD capacity wallets.  I've recently bought one booklet that can hold up to 240 CDs.  It may take more of these booklets to hold up to 1000 CDs if that's what you're looking for.  But, at least it could also help so that you could have a sort of "card catalogue" of CD-booklets/binders on a bookshelf, organized in whatever way possible (i.e. alphabetically, by genre, numerically, chronologically, etc.)

NHA

December 20, 2008, 08:40:44 PM
A horizontal spindle based approach is probably the easiest to African-American rig.

Maybe you could use something like this to hold the spindles: http://www.winelog.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/WineTube1.jpg

CDs are 1.2mm thick so you'd need 4 12" spindles at minimum (with no room to shift).

Septicemia

December 20, 2008, 09:07:21 PM
With jewel cases, I keep mine in a cabinet drawer (spine face up), with dividers to define the rows. It's similar to how CDs are presented at stores.

If you really need it, you can put a light cloth on the bottom to stop scratches. If you don't have a spare, I'm sure you could find a used small clothes cabinet to fit all of them.

December 21, 2008, 03:36:28 PM
Keep all CDs in jewel cases. Anything else results in them being scratched and worthless.

What you need is either a really nice CD rack, which will cost the big bucks, or a shallow bookshelf with lots of shelves.

I haven't seen any better "solution types" and I don't like plastic furniture. That's OK for when you're in college but as time goes on you will find it annoying.

April 03, 2009, 08:17:26 PM
You could modify a large book shelf.

This was indeed the best option for quick and sturdy.

The most common product in America:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/83688210

With three extra shelves!

April 08, 2009, 06:49:41 PM
i got mine on a tv cart / cd rack and in binders

April 08, 2009, 06:55:56 PM
Converse shoe boxes are smaller than regular shoe boxes, and perfect for CD storage. See if you can get a hold of a large volume of those, even if Converse are really lame...