Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

college

college
December 02, 2005, 03:54:01 AM
so.

what's everybody's major?

Iconoclast

Re: college
December 02, 2005, 11:01:23 AM
currently psychology.

college is a waste of time in my opinion.  nothing like college to show you just how purposeless life is.

December 02, 2005, 10:16:13 PM
Then drop out do something worthwhile, tough guy.

December 02, 2005, 10:49:22 PM
I went to college for a year then dropped out. I don't agree with how high schools these days overhype going to college. kids are taught this is the only way to succeed, eventhough a person's idea of "success" might not include earning lots of money. Mine isn't anyway.

December 03, 2005, 10:30:09 AM
currently psychology.

college is a waste of time in my opinion.  nothing like college to show you just how purposeless life is.

Don't you mean how purposeless modern life is?
(By "modern life" I mean the life which majority of humans currently live, i.e. go to work, buy plastic crap, watch T.V., have hollow sex, repeat cycle of degeneracy, etc.)

Or do you actually feel that life is inherently puposeless?
"What does not kill me makes me stronger"
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Iconoclast

December 03, 2005, 03:03:31 PM
I did mean modern life.

December 03, 2005, 05:44:45 PM
I did mean modern life.

I thought as much. ;)
"What does not kill me makes me stronger"
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

December 03, 2005, 06:17:42 PM
College is what you make of it, and it opens some doors. Go to the best one you can find, and use it for your own purposes, and even more, have a blast. Your youth, like your old age, should not be wasted! -- all imho

Iconoclast

December 04, 2005, 06:33:00 AM
College is what you make of it, and it opens some doors. Go to the best one you can find, and use it for your own purposes, and even more, have a blast. Your youth, like your old age, should not be wasted! -- all imho

I have no motivations for the future anymore and I see college as a preparation for pushing paper and being a desk monkey.  I can't go to the best one I can find because I couldn't afford it (I can only afford to go to a local university while living with restrictive parents, including one neurotic mother who treats me like i'm a child because she has nostalgia of when I was "cute"), and I can't enjoy myself because of aforementioned parents, lack of money to afford bills so I could live on my own, and lack of motivation, friends, potential friends, and hobbies or activities in my area.

I know I'm coming close to being emo, but I'm fed up with this "progressive" society.

Iconoclast

December 04, 2005, 06:33:51 AM
Then drop out do something worthwhile, tough guy.

Like?

December 04, 2005, 01:16:31 PM
Quit being such a victim.

Iconoclast

December 04, 2005, 01:45:45 PM
I'm not trying to be a victim, I just had an itch for a good ranting after having trouble sleeping late-night :D .

I don't feel victimized by my parents or lack of friends -- the only thing I feel "victimized" by is the high cost of rent and utilities when I'm making only 6.50 an hour, so I can't find a way to do the  few things I want.  I'm not trying to whine, but perhaps I'm being driven insane by essentially being a caged animal.

December 05, 2005, 02:27:43 AM
I have no motivations for the future anymore and I see college as a preparation for pushing paper and being a desk monkey.

Get loans, and follow your dreams, not other people's fears. ALL IMHO, YMMV, ETC, HIV+

December 05, 2005, 02:46:53 AM
If you really burn with desire, you will stop at nothing to try to achieve your desires. Reason helps to interpret the situation around you, to show you the possible paths you can pursue, and if you have the passion to pursue your desired end, you will strive for it, even if the path you have to take is long and difficult. If there is nothing in this world that inspires you, then snap out of it and reevaluate where you are in reality, or consider suicide.

Having said that, college is a great opportunity, but it is not for everyone (as is true of many things, anal sex for example). If you are walking down the collegiate road, then make the most of your situation by diving into the material presented and engaging your professors with questions after class/in their office hours. Put real effort into the work for your major; your major is something you must love, and if not, then you are doomed to being the paper pushing monkey with no love for labor.
You call yourself free? Let me hear your ruling thoughts, and not that you have escaped bondage. Are you one who deserved to escape from it?

chthonian

December 05, 2005, 08:46:51 AM
I enjoy college, I just hate paper.