Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How can ANUS establish orthodox authority on metal?

Increased ease of communication, as well as the expanding contexts into which metal ideas have been incorporated, has made the establishment of an orthodox authority on metal and its history necessary, in order to clarify and maintain the concept of metal in the face of inevitable media exposure and social exploitation.

Ideas for making this happen:
-promote the features that are completely unique to this site (extensive historical and philosophical analysis of metal) to media institutions interested in discussing metal.

-Establish a label to support bands that uphold these ideas.

-Lend official support to those interested in academic study of metal.

Brainstorm, please. I am interested in making this happen.

Good grief. Convey those features unique to ANUS such as musicological, philosophical and historical analysis in a way that is more accessible to people in an age where widgets, add-ons and Flash media has replaced the need to actually read anything in detail and use the internet like a library (in ze Liberal Vest, fibre-optic broadband downloads YOU).

Film. Radio (more educational but also informal than just streaming playlists and reading articles in drab monotone). Public lectures.

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,4886.msg29677.html#msg29677

ANUS will have to be less subtle, less elitist in tone, and more elitist in what it communicates is good. It needs to communicate more clearly, which means more simply.

- A film
- A book
- A popular blog
- A band

Those are your answers at this point in time.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

doesn't ANUS have a blog (or several) already?

the problem lies with a lot of people being "false elitists"; ie. insulting people about their musical tastes while offering no suggestions to what they enjoy. morons or not, people do not respond well to unwarranted negative behavior and insults.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

Septicemia

- A popular blog (DLA / (R.I.C.) Neoclassical)
- A band

The biggest issue is the lack of quality, artful metal being put out. The non-believer hessians would be shut up if they heard something that fulfills the potential of metal as inheritor of classicism. Those who have any interest in writing metal music (should be most people that read or contribute to this forum) should study music and spirituality and apply what they learn to their art, rather than praying to the false gods of the past metal "classics" - there being only a couple releases that actually fulfill this title. ANUS should encourage contributors to post their music here where it can be judged and heard by outsiders.

- A film

Best idea next to music. Should juxtapose natural images of beauty, death, Gothic/pagan architecture and include interviews and live performances. I don't have any experience doing this currently, but I'm sure there are some easily operated programs that could splice together videos off of Youtube. I'll keep this in the back of my mind the next couple weeks and see if I can dig up anything.

Radio. Public lectures.

Not sure how these would help. Worthy writings and music from this site and from the ancients are readily available. Corrupt is already on the job of "re-packaging" these things for prole-consumption.

doesn't ANUS have a blog (or several) already?

the problem lies with a lot of people being "false elitists"; ie. insulting people about their musical tastes while offering no suggestions to what they enjoy. morons or not, people do not respond well to unwarranted negative behavior and insults.

Nah, I mean a popular blog, like one that attracts popular interest and hundreds of thousands of people. Lots of bloggers now have book deals, and I'm sure it would make getting a film deal easier.

I agree on the second part: the false elitism of this forum, where we invite people in and then call them idiots for making simple mistakes, is anti-social and even more, socially retarded.

If we want to win at this game, we need allies, and even if they don't "get it" at first, they might in the future.

We also need to keep ideology out of it.

The biggest issue is the lack of quality, artful metal being put out. The non-believer hessians would be shut up if they heard something that fulfills the potential of metal as inheritor of classicism. Those who have any interest in writing metal music (should be most people that read or contribute to this forum) should study music and spirituality and apply what they learn to their art, rather than praying to the false gods of the past metal "classics" - there being only a couple releases that actually fulfill this title.

I don't think it's just a couple. I think there's a lot of good older metal and almost none available now.

Your idea is good, however... ANUS should devote itself to promoting the clarity found in the underground as an artistic movement or idea separate from all metal before or since.

Action
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh