Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How to be a Black Metal Fan in 2005

TC

Re: How to be a Black Metal Fan in 2005
December 08, 2005, 12:17:23 PM
i just have to say that the irony of that jacket is that i had recently visited a military surplus store and purchased a field jacket - within the last month - that is identical to the "blank" jacket that darkthrone (or their merchandisers) used for that.  of course, prior to seeing that.  i paid around the same price for the "blank" jacket, and it is very nice.  blocks out the cold for sure.  i was considering putting my Thesyre patch on the front pocket area.  then i see that Darkthrone jacket, heh.

December 09, 2005, 06:00:30 PM
"1. Everyone must get it. It must be simple, not challenging, and most of all not have any poetic essence to its soul, as most fans can't get that and thus will not buy it. "

The reason why post-Black metal as a whole (bar Furze) fails to ellicit any response from my ears. The peculiarirty/ grandeur of the initial bands output made/ still makes great listening. As a huge fan of Voi Vod, I am still obsessed by that originality and experimentation of sound. It is unfortunate but somewhat expected that this most obvious generic quality of the movement has been completely obscured by the crowd. Having said that, it makes me treasure and respect the initial works more for their individuality.

TC

December 09, 2005, 06:14:02 PM
agreed, and all hail voivod.

December 09, 2005, 06:43:05 PM
agreed, and all hail voivod.

Aye.

Wolfbane

December 10, 2005, 11:45:02 PM
How come mayhem always gets the forgotten stick around anus? Just as important (maybe a bit more) and just as great as the other bands mentioned as the founders of black metal. Without mayhem no norwegian bands pretty much. Just needed to rant for mayhem.

December 11, 2005, 08:26:04 AM
How come mayhem always gets the forgotten stick around anus?

I don't know, but it's that way. Not always anyway: remember the best ever list and the reviews.

Just as important (maybe a bit more) and just as great as the other bands mentioned as the founders of black metal.

yes

Without mayhem no norwegian bands pretty much.

true

Just needed to rant for mayhem.

me too.

Even Varg (maybe I should not use the 'even') acknowledges the importance, value and merit of DMDS although he doesn't credit Euronymous for all this but just for a part of it.

December 12, 2005, 04:00:36 PM
Great article, IMO.  Very interesting read.

Not to sound...insulting...to the previous poster, but he illustrates some of the problems I see in 'fans' of Black Metal nowadays.  Why choose 'Euronymous' as a forum name?  It is just as absurd as choosing your "spl1nt3r c3ll" as your handle.

But back on topic, Mayhem is responsible to an extent for the Norwegian scene, but Mayhem was dead after DMDS anyway.  I would agree that saying 'even Varg' is wrong.  Varg himself was part of DMDS, as well as other early Mayhem material.  Of course he would acknowledge the value and merit of the album...he helped create it!

December 12, 2005, 05:22:38 PM
Great article, IMO.  Very interesting read.

Not to sound...insulting...to the previous poster, but he illustrates some of the problems I see in 'fans' of Black Metal nowadays.  Why choose 'Euronymous' as a forum name?  It is just as absurd as choosing your "spl1nt3r c3ll" as your handle.

But back on topic, Mayhem is responsible to an extent for the Norwegian scene, but Mayhem was dead after DMDS anyway.  I would agree that saying 'even Varg' is wrong.  Varg himself was part of DMDS, as well as other early Mayhem material.  Of course he would acknowledge the value and merit of the album...he helped create it!

Don't want  to sound rough either, but I've seen the same stupid question from time to time since some years ago.

you're free to believe what you want of Varg's thoughts and to be wrong, of course.

TC

December 12, 2005, 05:24:53 PM
 Of course he would acknowledge the value and merit of the album...he helped create it!

i don't know if i agree with this in general - i mean, usually artists are their own worst critics.

December 12, 2005, 09:57:25 PM
No no, I agree there.  What I am saying is that Varg has stated that he's never had a problem  with Mayhem guys, just with Euronymous as a person. Therefore, saying "even Varg acknowledges..." would be incorrect as he never had a problem with Mayhem to begin with.

My wording before wasn't really specific about that.  Varg wouldn't deny Mayhem's influence just due to personal problems with Euronymous.  Even if he did, he would be flat wrong, so theres no point in denying it really.

Sorry  ;), I was just in an argumenative mood earlier.

December 18, 2005, 07:13:38 PM
It seems to me his problem with Euronymous was straightforward: as the genre grew quickly, Euronymous delayed releasing Burzum albums, giving the Count fear that he would not become recognized as part of the movement he had helped create. Thus he murdered Euronymous, and sure enough, the album came out quickly!