Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Book trading

Book trading
December 31, 2008, 09:29:05 PM
Music trading has probably slowed down a good bit due to the availablity of MP3's and the like, and the portability of music is great thanks to technology.  What about books though?  I'm sure there are ways to get pdf copies or something, but unless you have a laptop or a printer, the portability kind of goes out the window.

Anyway, there are so many books I still need to read.  But I'm having trouble finding them for prices I can afford.  I recently ordered seven or so books from betterworld.com, a used book site that ships free and has a large selection, but the order never showed up so they refunded me.  I guess I'm just saying this because I'm frustrated at the price at large retail stores and frustrated at the selection at used book stores.

Would anyone be interested in trading books?  I'm interested in anything really, especially books on nihlism as I've yet to read much on it.

So, if you're interested.. for trade I have (all in sub-par condition):

Machiavelli - The Prince
Sigmund Freud - The Future of an Illusion
George Orwell - Animal Farm
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. - Slaughterhouse-five

I'll even mail your book back when I'm done reading it, I'm not interested in keeping books as I don't have a ton of space.

Re: Book trading
December 31, 2008, 09:36:42 PM
People on the old CORRUPT forum used to upload (pdf) books to file sharing sites the same way people do with music in the audiofile.  You could try searching megaupload or rapidshare to see if any of the links are still there.  Maybe adding a book archive or something to this site for must reads would be a good idea.

December 31, 2008, 09:41:33 PM
I mentioned the probability of the pdf copies being obtainable, and in the end I suppose that would work.  But the portability of a good old fasioned book would work much better for me because I do not own a printer or a laptop.

December 31, 2008, 10:38:31 PM
I'll even mail your book back when I'm done reading it, I'm not interested in keeping books as I don't have a ton of space.

Amazon is good if you can find a bookseller in the Used & New section, so you can buy a load of 00.01 priced books from the same user and have to deal with only one delivery charge. I have some books I'm willing to loan although I'm not sure I'd want to cover the postage price for sending to anywhere outside of the European Jewnion. I'm surprised you don't have access to a library (who should have at least a copy of the Bhagavad Gita and some Nietzsche).

December 31, 2008, 11:10:20 PM
Bhagavad Gita is underrated in most American Countries. I live in Quebec and except if I go to the Capital, I will never see that. I'm buying one for my local library, at least we'll have it here.

December 31, 2008, 11:40:23 PM

Are you a long distance from a decent public library?

January 01, 2009, 12:05:03 AM
Yeah, there are several smaller libraries around me but I've read the few books they had on nihlism.  There is a bigger one I haven't tried but it's a ways away, always an option though.

I know in the end I can find the books, I was just seeing if this was something anyone would be interested in.

January 01, 2009, 12:27:44 AM
Yeah, there are several smaller libraries around me but I've read the few books they had on nihlism.  There is a bigger one I haven't tried but it's a ways away, always an option though.

I know in the end I can find the books, I was just seeing if this was something anyone would be interested in.

Inter-library loans from larger regional collections are usually possible...maybe something else to explore.

January 01, 2009, 01:19:20 AM
yes Inter-Library-Loans.  The old ILL.  just go to your local public library and enquire about inter-library loans.  they should be able to get you just about anything you can imagine including dvds and cds.