Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Do we really need new bands and albums?!

Do we really need new bands and albums?!
January 05, 2009, 05:36:06 PM
Every now and then, after I read some article/forum topic/whatever on the Internet reviewing a new band with a new album and convincing me how good this band is, I just can't help but downloading the frickin' thing, you know, just from curiosity.

Result: It sucks. Every single metal album I've heard from 2008 basically fits into one of these two categories:

1) "Back to the roots", "oldschool", "FVK TEH POZURS", "real metal", or in other words: people trying to sound like their favourite bands "y'know, just 4 fun lol".
 2) "Original sound", "avant-garde metal", "progressive", "primitive death/power/crust/techno/avant-garde/jazz/neoclassical with harps and shitting bulls", or people trying to make something new for no apparent reason.

And then I asked myself: do I really need to waste my time listening to 539486324 bands just to find 3 1/2 riffs of worth?!

No. It is an absolutely useless and IQ-abusive activity.

Of course, as some of you may say, that look-through-the-shit-find-something-of-worth is the whole idea of elitism.

I am not an elitist. I don't want to listen to any metal other than my favourite bands. I don't want to promote young metal bands on brainless blogs and forums for another nerd/idiot to download them and masturbate about the underground and "true metal".

Here's my idea: metal is dead. Stop looking for good new bands. Instead, of all your music collection, choose, say, 100 or so albums, the albums which are most special to you, which you can really call ART.

Listen only to them. Promote only them.

Worship them.

Re: Do we really need new bands and albums?!
January 05, 2009, 07:09:01 PM
There is good in the sentiment your expressing, and by all means go ahead with it.  However, in every age people have created new music even though there were superior works behind them.  Too many musicians currently?  Yes, far too many.  However, that in my opinion is no reason not to worship grand music merely because it is new.

January 05, 2009, 08:46:33 PM
Do we NEED new bands/albums? Not nearly as much as is being put out at the time being.

But the problem is, every idiot with a guitar thinks he could create the new metal masterpiece. When really they just end up creating boring drivel.

Trauco

January 06, 2009, 01:36:26 AM
Do we NEED new bands/albums?

Yes, we do. QUALITY bands and albums. One of the reasons I like and support ANUS is that they offer pathways for talented people to follow in order to create the next batch of legendary metal albums. Nurturing that possibility is the only way to fight populist trends in the metal underground.

Spewing, on the other hand, the old "metal is dead" mantra is giving up like a pussy even considering the possibilities that the genre still has to offer.

January 06, 2009, 01:50:36 AM
Quote from: destructor
Every single metal album I've heard from 2008

So Metal had a shitty year.  This year we'll (supposedly) be seeing releases from Summoning, Havohej, and Necrovore.  If those albums all suck, then we can still wait for the next Burzum album...in like 2020 or something.

January 06, 2009, 03:04:09 AM
... If those albums all suck, then we can still wait for the next Burzum album.
       -----I would look forward to that, if he would plug a guitar in again....!?

January 06, 2009, 01:06:38 PM
This forum is really beginning to sound like a broken record. I'm pretty sure everyone here already knows about supporting the best and ignoring the crap (metal natural selection). So that leaves your comment about ignoring new bands. If you don't want to attempt to find something worthwhile, don't. You're better off waiting for trusted bands to release new content - and promoting these bands in the meantime. It's getting harder though, with Pink Frothy AIDS and Bloodbath fans growing in numbers.

Quote from: destructor
Every single metal album I've heard from 2008

If those albums all suck, then we can still wait for the next Burzum album...in like 2020 or something.

Hasn't Varg had 10+ years to think up of some worthwhile material in prison? I was expecting an album within a few years of his release.

January 06, 2009, 01:37:54 PM
This forum is really beginning to sound like a broken record.

Besides this forum, every intelligent review site I read repeats the same statement: it serves only the marketers and attention seeking whore bands to promote some superficial crap every month and give it a good review. The music connoisseur is characterized by his/her ability to recognize art - while most descriptions and reviews online simply makes you wonder which one of you is hard of hearing.

I don't see the need or lack of it for new albums being the point.

The point is, when there appears the intent/will to try out and listen to a new album, which one do you choose from the 10000 that appeared on the market this month. The reviewers' task ultimately is not to give each one of these a fair chance to be heard, but to recognize which ones will most likely be suitable to the seekers' purpose. And I go as far as to claim that the purpose is not to find something entertaining, but to approach knowledge and understanding, through the illuminating symbolism of art.

January 06, 2009, 03:08:47 PM
Quote from: ShitFaced
Hasn't Varg had 10+ years to think up of some worthwhile material in prison? I was expecting an album within a few years of his release.

I was implying they probably aren't going to let him out of prison for another decade.

January 25, 2009, 08:22:52 AM
Here is my take on this topic. We will always need more bands and we will always need more music. I've been a metalist for about 18 to 20 years now, and I've also gone through a period where I got stock with the same old bands. But the whole idea of metal is that you can express your music for other people...wether you do it for money or for fun, how good a song is, really is realitve. Some people will like a band and others will prefer other bands, and there are quite a few new bands out there that are pretty good. I am all for listening to new bands in order to find that next band I like, and if no one else likes them...well, too bad. We all should be listening to music for what we like it and not because others think they are good.

Enjoy your old music...they're good and no one will replace them, but other ones will come to keep our metal alive for many more decades, if not centuries!

January 25, 2009, 09:06:04 PM
I am all for listening to new bands in order to find that next band I like, and if no one else likes them...well, too bad. We all should be listening to music for what we like it and not because others think they are good.
wrong. we should be listening to music that has substance instead of satisfying ourselves with manure so long as it's covered in sugar

we don't t need new music, but we do need to find/promote the new music that is good. it's very simple - there's always going to be new music being made, whether you like it or not. if everyone who is willing to recognize quality simply gives up, the few good new acts that emerge will be swamped by the sea of shit from which they've managed to do so. you don't get any choice in whether or not new music will be made, but you can have an influence in what direction it takes

January 27, 2009, 10:26:51 PM
Is there any point in starting up a new metal band? Probably not. Even newer albums from "trusted" bands don't hold up to their own standards. Is there value in pushing the genre further? Definitely, if we can do it honestly, without resorting to genre-crossbreeding. Mostly what we see is recycling trash to make more trash. What holds metal together has never been harsh vocals and distortion - it's the mindset and inspiration. We haven't resolved our anger or abandoned our worldview, we just need a new art form for expressing it. Metal has been used up. That said, originality does not equal quality, and we shouldn't be afraid to do something because it's "already been done".

Why cultural revolutions are superior

Yep. That pretty much says it all.