Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News Sources

News Sources
January 09, 2009, 10:30:57 PM
Searched for a relevant thread and couldn't find one - if there is one, point me towards it.

When it comes to news, this is how it usually plays out for me:  I hear about events first through friends and family, listen to their takes on it, then look it up online through random sources to see what's going on.

My question:  what are your trusted news sources?  Where do you regularly visit?  I'm sure televised news programs can be safely disregarded.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - E.A. Poe

Re: News Sources
January 09, 2009, 10:57:16 PM
Most of the time, television and news really do not mix.  Time pressure and ratings play in very much, so instead of covering stories that are important or relevant, news stations try to create "flashy" "sexy" stories to hold viewers' attention.

Occasionally at work I will watch CNN briefly.  Other than that I cannot handle televised news, too much bullshit.

Online news can be found everywhere, I don't use one source.  I use whatever I can find.

(on a side note, I find The Onion to be hilarious)
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

Nile577

January 10, 2009, 12:38:51 AM
For breaking news: BBC World service / website

For considered opinion: Z magazine. (Noam Chomsky) http://www.zmag.org/znet

""He will not be bullied. He will not be intimidated. He is a fearless, formidable, totally independent voice. He does something which is really quite simple but highly unusual. He tells the truth." - Harold Pinter on Noam Chomsky

I also sometimes read Foreign Affairs magazine.

Otherwise for opinion I read Christopher Hitchens & listen to George Galloway (excellent knowledge of the Middle East).

O'Reilly and Olbermann can be of academic interest. Baudrillard speaks the obvious here (the "hyperreal") but I think there are many more important thinkers and certainly more essential thinking than analysis of the media.

January 10, 2009, 01:06:44 AM
www.drudgereport.com for mainstream stuff

January 10, 2009, 05:45:32 PM
My only trusted news source: Megadeth Music Videos

January 15, 2009, 06:05:27 AM
For a NWO conspiracy spin on all news I'd suggest Alex Jones's radio show podcast.  He's crazy but I really do think he's on to something.  Otherwise, when you really want the truth you have to hear from the intensely biased from as many sides as possible, if you go with the "unbiased" news then you might get fooled into thinking it really is unbiased.  Its best to listen to all sides with their full guns blazing so then you have a bit of perspective on what actually happened.

March 17, 2009, 11:12:10 PM
What?! Israelis and Palestinians are fighting again? No shit, really?
And then people look at me weird when I ask "who's Anna Nicole Smith?"
I get my news via at least 3 degrees of hearsay, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference.

March 28, 2009, 07:23:28 PM
What?! Israelis and Palestinians are fighting again? No shit, really?
And then people look at me weird when I ask "who's Anna Nicole Smith?"
I get my news via at least 3 degrees of hearsay, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference.

History is cyclic, and reading the news proves it... just before you fall asleep. It's also so heavily filtered through not offending advertisers, and reporting what various lobbies think is important (especially indirectly: that heartwarming story about roller bladers in love is a manipulation to make you buy roller blades, fools) that it's hard to tell what planet they're talking about.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh