Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hail Quorthon & other leaders

Hail Quorthon & other leaders
December 10, 2005, 04:13:23 PM
Really, it is kind of embarrassing that we can complain about the obvious wastes of oxygen - Brujeria, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse and Pantera - while not giving tribute to the masters.

Way back in 1983, Quorthon was one of the inventors of death/black metal. He had considerably fewer resources than others in this task, but contributed much of the technique and imagery of death and black metal to come. Almost all Norwegian black metal has the first two Bathory albums in its bloodline.

He also wrote the grandiloquent lyrics to "Twilight of the Gods."

He was the first metal musician in the black/death era to unabashedly claim influences from classical music, even while those around him referred to it as "fag music."

While the quality of Bathory releases varied, they were honest tries.

He was proof that black metal musicians aren't incompetent through his Beatles/REM-style folk hard rock albums.

His interviews were highly friggin' intelligent.

Quorthon is one of those few who can honestly use the word "innovative" to describe his work. It did not reinvent music, but found a new voice for a worldview that is eternally sensible.

Others:
Voivod
Demilich
Burzum
Immolation
Absurd

Re: Hail Quorthon & other leaders
December 10, 2005, 04:56:34 PM
Agreed. Although in terms of importance, I would put Slayer as more important to Metal as a whole.

chthonian

December 10, 2005, 07:29:26 PM
Quorthon was an idiot. The only good album was The Return, and he had to be drunk to record it. He was only dark and evil when he was drunk, and a rock and roll star when he was sober.

December 10, 2005, 09:01:13 PM
Quorthon was an idiot. The only good album was The Return, and he had to be drunk to record it. He was only dark and evil when he was drunk, and a rock and roll star when he was sober.

"Dark and Evil" huh? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
The Return was a very good album, make that a brilliant album, but it was definitely not Quorthon's only good album. Blood Fire Death and the debut are albums in which Quorthon created some of the best music ever written.
Of course, I understand that you have a different opinion (Bathory was never everybody's cup of tea)
,but the whole "dark and evel when drunk" and "rock and roll star when sober" regarding Quorthon
does not make sense. In fact, it's just plain bullshit.

chthonian

December 10, 2005, 10:24:52 PM

"Dark and Evil" huh? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
The Return was a very good album, make that a brilliant album, but it was definitely not Quorthon's only good album. Blood Fire Death and the debut are albums in which Quorthon created some of the best music ever written.
Of course, I understand that you have a different opinion (Bathory was never everybody's cup of tea)
,but the whole "dark and evel when drunk" and "rock and roll star when sober" regarding Quorthon
does not make sense. In fact, it's just plain bullshit.

Look up Quorthon's interviews. He brags about having sex with women in limousines and air planes, and he used to call him self Ace Shot because he came on a girl's face... At one point, Quorthon thought it was ridiculous that people were calling Bathory black metal he said it was Rock and Roll. He also thinks that The Beatles are the best band ever.

December 10, 2005, 10:43:54 PM
Have you ever touched a woman?

chthonian

December 10, 2005, 11:07:57 PM
Have you ever touched a woman?

Oh, like your mom?
What a stupid question.

Wolfbane

December 10, 2005, 11:23:28 PM
He was the first metal musician in the black/death era to unabashedly claim influences from classical music, even while those around him referred to it as "fag music."

Actually Slayer were claiming Bach and other classical music were a major influence on them from the start. But the gist of the statement is true. Just change from "first" to "one of the first".

euronymous

December 11, 2005, 09:15:13 AM
Quorthon was an idiot.

No

The only good album was The Return, and he had to be drunk to record it.

Untrue and anyway, how do you know he needed to be drunk to record it even if he was drunk when doing it?

Your logic fails.

He was only dark and evil when he was drunk

really? and if yes, then what?

December 11, 2005, 08:17:46 PM
Gents,

This topic went from a neat thought into idiotic bickering. This is why often it's better not to reply to fools, but to start a counter-fool movement else.

Cthonian, I'm not necessarily calling you a fool; I'm speaking to the first reaction perspective of those who read your work. In fact, I'm not commenting on anyone in this thread except to say that it became compost fodder.

Comment about Slayer is good also.

December 11, 2005, 11:55:13 PM
the thing that was remarkable about bathory is that because of their remote location, they were able to get away with adventurous ideas, as stated in one of their interviews. free from critique enabled them to add clear sung vocals, keys, acoustic guitars, etc.

because of blood fire death, some of the foundational ideas presented here paved way for the explosion of intellectual black metal in sweden and most notably, norway. hails to him.

December 12, 2005, 02:50:24 AM
The topic is Quorthon's body of work. It is inconsequential what he did in the rest of his time to the positive mark he made on metal music. He was, literally, a true innovator, and so much of the great metal we enjoy now that followed after him would not have existed had he not created what he did.

chthonian

December 13, 2005, 10:28:53 AM
I don't have time to say much right now. But I'll say this, scene Idolatry is one of the biggest problems with black metal. Quorthon is now a "scene hero" - someone for scenesters to look up to and impersonate, rather than appreciation Bathory for what it was.
Whether you love Quorthon or not, it's not Quorthon's reputation or achievements that should dictate why you like Bathory - unless you're a scene whore. The only reason I bring up Quorthons failure at living up to his artistic achievements is because many of you do idolize him. But, it's the truth, that Quorthon was just a drunken rock star in real life.

Personally, I think Rob Halford's homosexuality has contributed more to extreme metal than anything else. I say that because you all sound like pussies, like pre teens girls, argung over which boy was "tah hottest" in pop music.

chthonian

December 13, 2005, 10:32:08 AM
The topic is Quorthon's body of work. It is inconsequential what he did in the rest of his time to the positive mark he made on metal music. He was, literally, a true innovator, and so much of the great metal we enjoy now that followed after him would not have existed had he not created what he did.

Idolatry...

December 13, 2005, 11:15:04 AM
I don't see how taking things a step further is idolatry, nor innovating (and possibly creating) 2 genres of music. Even if he did not appropriately acknowledge what he was doing, what he created were some of the most infuential works to this day, to bands both good and bad.

If a man innovates music, is it really his fault if he is copied?

Whichever way you see it, this is not an arguing thread, but instead a place for members to write good things about whomever they feel worthy (with emphasis on metal music), and I would hope all these petty argument posts would be deleted.

-----------

During a time when the metal music industry was still dominated by would be posers, the NWOBHM, and glam/hair bands, Slayer transcended even the standards set by the bands around them to become quite possibly the most infuential band since that time. Where other bands such as Anthrax and Exodus sung aggresive lyrics with pumping guitars, Slayer took it a step further with their music, adding technicality and extremity both to their music as well as their appearance.

At a time when most bands, admittedly or not, dodged appearing overly antisocial, Slayer used Facist and Satanic imagery unbashedly and sang songs that were both literally brutal as well as allegories in their own right.