Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hipsters are destroying metal

Re: Hipsters are destroying metal
January 31, 2009, 12:29:01 PM
No one knows what else to say.

"True, hipsters are a blight, but I'm confused as to how to recognize them or what to do about it."

January 31, 2009, 03:20:01 PM
Hipsters are just another recurring personality type forever issuing from the human genome and manifesting as bothersome oversocializers. The problem is the modern assumption that anyone can be anything in society. Sure, they can, but how effective is such wanton liberty on the whole in the long run? Should our civilizations and cultures always be lead by the hipster type worming its way into and eventually dominating/crowding roles that to the hipster are the most popular-seeming, but to the rest of us are much more vital, like CEO, board chairman, general, senator, judge, archpriest or university president - leaders and shapers of the present and future? Probably not.

ESFP

People-oriented and fun-loving, they make things more fun for others by their enjoyment. Living for the moment, they love new experiences. They dislike theory and impersonal analysis. Interested in serving others. Likely to be the center of attention in social situations. Well-developed common sense and practical ability.

ENFJ

Popular and sensitive, with outstanding people skills. Externally focused, with real concern for how others think and feel. Usually dislike being alone. They see everything from the human angle, and dislike impersonal analysis. Very effective at managing people issues, and leading group discussions. Interested in serving others, and probably place the needs of others over their own needs.

http://www.personalitypage.com/high-level.html

January 31, 2009, 03:51:36 PM
I enjoy Viridovrix's posts, and take them seriously. On any forum, any user is going to remember some names as "hey, this guy usually makes something worth reading/talking about," and that's what forums/blogs are all about: an idea, something to play with, a conversation.

In this case, I disagree with his basic premise, which is that hipsterdom can be boiled down to one type of extraversion.

One can be an extravert yet not fully externalize one's values system. One can be an extravert without thinking that arranging external signals makes one into something one is not.

At their essence, hipsters are afraid that we know one thing about them:

They are very ordinary.

They draw attention to themselves, and talk a good game instead of doing anything, because they don't trust themselves with actions.

They're in denial of reality. Oddly, this makes them potential allies, because by going into unverbalized by acted-upon denial, they are agreeing that things are afoot which are bad -- which, in a declining society, is the only useful starting point for truth.

Metalocalypse... I could make fun of any number of things by picking on their weakest link. I don't think it's effective or conducive to a higher mental state, even of comedy.

January 31, 2009, 10:43:49 PM
No, but its a fun short break in between reading Schopenhauer and composing a symphony.

January 31, 2009, 10:55:22 PM
No, but its a fun short break in between reading Schopenhauer and composing a symphony.

Why would you watch it when you could watch something else funnier, or in that case, why watch TV really?

Apart from some things on the history channel and South Park, I don't watch TV.

February 01, 2009, 12:39:06 AM
Most types of people have existed forever with different names. For example, "metalheads" have always been around. People like Paganini fit the metal archetype very well. Well, I was wondering, what have been other manifestations of the hipster?

February 01, 2009, 06:04:57 AM
Most types of people have existed forever with different names. For example, "metalheads" have always been around. People like Paganini fit the metal archetype very well. Well, I was wondering, what have been other manifestations of the hipster?

Thrasymachus. Most of America during the 60s. Lucifer.

But really, you're right - it is a universal category too large, too inclusive and too frequently overlapping with other categories to really get as concrete as you seem to wish. It more or less includes everyone who has ever decided or believed that reality was less important than the projected image of their role within it. It may include those who not only place their ego/image before everything else, but who actually fail to understand that there really is anything more than a world of gestures, tones and images in general.

March 28, 2009, 07:33:37 PM
Shouldn't this be merged with the other hipsters topic?

1789, and 1968, were years of triumph for hipsters. Also 2008.

March 30, 2009, 11:32:23 PM
These "hipsters" who are destroying metal are worthless. People who follow the more mainstream "metal" (they shouldn't even call it metal) bands, such as Bullet For My Valentine or Slipknot, are the same people who think they understand metal when they watch "Metalocalypse".

I will admit, I never thought Dethklok was TOO bad of a band. The first album was borderline metal-core, but their newer stuff at least leans more towards metal. I enjoy Dethklok's comedic lyrics, such as murdering mermaids or being electrocuted through the bloodstream. They do not follow many death metal ideals, which isn't necessarily good or bad.

And as for the guest musicians, many well known metal artists have been a part of the series, such as:

Michael Amott (Arch Enemy, Carcass)

King Diamond (King Diamond, Mercyful Fate)

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher (Cannibal Corpse)

Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)

Kirk Hammett/James Hetfield (Metallica)

Gene Hoglan (Death, Dark Angel, SYL, Testament, Dethklok, and Zimmers Hole)

ICS Vortex (Dimmu Borgir)

Ihsahn/Samoth/Trym Torson (Emperor)

March 31, 2009, 04:18:03 AM
These "hipsters" who are destroying metal are worthless. People who follow the more mainstream "metal" (they shouldn't even call it metal) bands, such as Bullet For My Valentine or Slipknot, are the same people who think they understand metal when they watch "Metalocalypse".

It should be mentioned that none of this is remotely new. Back in the 80's and early 90's it used to drive me to distraction that these same types of people tended to do the same types of things with varying degrees of success - just substitute Anthrax, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, etc. for Bullet..., Slipknot and the like. The problem today is one of sheer numbers or volume . Now that every other idiot on the planet with a guitar, computer and a few simple drum and recording programs can churn out "metal" on the hour, and every third idiot can adore, promote and disseminate it, the whole genre has been just saturated with nonsense and pure shit from every side. It makes ANUS/DLA monumentally more important today to sift through the rubbish. Indeed, this site makes it easy for folks - all they have to do is make the effort and pay attention and three-quarters of the job is done for you. The Hipster is a nuisance...but I don't see them legitimately detroying Metal - only misusing and distorting it for their own temporary gain. This too shall pass...

April 05, 2009, 07:45:26 PM
Funny site i visited - does not adress the 'problem' of metal hipsters, however: http://diehipster.com/

NHA

April 05, 2009, 09:54:36 PM
90% of bloggers are just as annoying as hipsters heh.

April 05, 2009, 10:08:16 PM
The worst offenders are kiddies who are into "metal-core" and "death-core". Bands such as shai hulud, Bewteen the buried and me, zao, despised icon, as i lay dying, poison the well, it dies today, all that remains, bring me the horizon...all breed worthless hottopic white trash. Not only is their music absolutely horrid, they mostly like it because it has a whole "style" around it that translates into obsessive fashion looks. Of course, all types of music breed certain styles of people, however the people who orgasm over these moronic genres take it to an all new level where what you wear and how much generic bands you listen to defines who you are. 

Don't even get me started on the state of "hardcore" these days. The DIY culture of punk and REAL hardcore is totally gone and dead. Now its all about fashion and how many Asian themed tattoos you can fit onto your arms. 

April 06, 2009, 11:52:29 AM
Luckily in England we are spared these pseudo-intellectual. trendy type hipsters (or they only accumulate around cities with universities). We do have these poser kiddies that Von List mentions and they are truly an absolute plague. The worst thing about them is that they genuinely believe themselves to be real metalheads, even if they prance around with lip peircings, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? t-shirts and army trousers. Ussually of a working class background, and little intellectual value, I seriously doubt they will have any effect on real metal culture.
It would be made easier if we could possibly stop these people from discovering bands such as Darkthrone et al., and so prevent them from apeing black metal culture, also distinguishing 'us' from 'them'. This is an impossible task however, so we must either wait for the fad to pass (which i doubt it will, and the longer we wait the harder posers will become to weed out, there are even some lurking on this forum), or adopt new tactics like forming an elite group of metalheads (the metal SS, if you will) which would require some testing and examination to see who is worthy. This group would be the creative force of metal for the future. It may sound a tad far-fetched, but metal culture (and higher culture in general) includes making things that people would ussually scoff at reality (such as this forum).

April 06, 2009, 06:46:36 PM
90% of bloggers are just as annoying as hipsters heh.

90% of bloggers are hipsters.