This site can and should get more popular, but it's really up to the people here improving certain behaviours.
Here's some suggestions on how we can improve and help spread knowledge of this site. All of it IMHO, of course:
- The problem with this forum: too many people trying to be thinkers, not enough warriors. I'll admit it myself, I'm no philosopher. I'm rather the kind of person who acts on what other people have pondered. I bet most of us here are that type.
- Drop the false elitism
. You know something that most people don't, and you use your time more efficiently because of that. Congratulations. Now stop patting yourself in the back for knowing those things. Before that, you were just like the other "morons".
- Drop the ego. Ancient people succeeded in most of what they put their minds on because they recognized that the goal to follow is more important that the individual, and most worked with that in mind. When a person is more focused on the collective goal than in himself, he can extract real joy on watching that goal come to fruition. We really need to interiorize that frame of mind unto ourselves, as the "me, me, me" mentality is the most pervasive modern behaviour I see here.
- Internet forums are good to visit every once in a while and get and share some info. They are not to spend all day on them. Yes, I'm including this one. Forums can be addictive, but they are also huge wastes of time where pointless discussions can take place. Recognize what forums are good for (data gathering and propaganda) and use them accordingly.
- Following with the previous: spend less time in these forums bickering over trivial bullshit and focus on learning and asimilating the most important tenets here
and whatever main ideas you can extract from here
. Then apply those tenets to your daily life. Get some shit done there just to see how well those principles work, and then come back to the net, and influence people in forums through your actions, not words. If some band sucks, say so without fear, and explain why. Some people are going to go ape. Ignore them. You have truth on your side, why getting into arguments with people living in social illusion? Before you know it, the smartest, yet least experienced ones will follow you, because people instinctively follow the one who shows more experience and character than the rest.
- Propagandize, but lay-off some of the trolling and the pranks. I'm thinking specially of the Chuck Shuldiner-AIDS thing. Instead, take a look to the above links again. People should know ANUS mainly for those, not for its pranks, amusing as they are.