Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

A good thing to do in HS or college

A good thing to do in HS or college
January 20, 2009, 10:16:47 PM
The National Assn. of Urban Debate Leagues, which includes the Los Angeles chapter, is a nonprofit network of policy debate teams made up mainly of minority students from urban high schools in 24 large cities, including New York, Boston and Chicago.

"Too often students are inactive, passive recipients of the educational system and its process," said Brett Flater, director of Los Angeles Urban Debate League, which was launched in the fall. "When they understand they have a voice, a drastic change occurs: they're suddenly engaged. You don't have to train students to get up and express an opinion -- they're full of them."

The stereotype of debaters as suburban geeks wearing pocket protectors isn't a barrier for participating students, but it's an image they hope to change.

Like the topics they argue, debate itself takes research and strategy. Students receive nearly 600 pages of high-level research organized into specific topics that they craft into an argument.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/los_angeles_metro/la-me-debate20-2009jan20,0,5540811.story?track=rss

Re: A good thing to do in HS or college
January 21, 2009, 09:07:29 PM
This is True, I wish I had done something like this in High School.

January 22, 2009, 09:31:20 AM
I did do this in high school, and I can say that it was a lot of fun and I don't regret it one bit, having made it in the top 4 at the provincial level. In a way it was also an introduction to the adult world, providing a good reason to dress up in suits and speaking with clarity and poise. One thing that I didn't like is that the combative nature of the debates is promoted over actually seeking truth from the evidence; you're in a scenario which forces you to be out more to prove your opponent wrong and poke holes in his argument than to come to a greater understanding of the truth from all the evidence provided.

January 24, 2009, 12:57:07 PM
I did do this in high school, and I can say that it was a lot of fun and I don't regret it one bit, having made it in the top 4 at the provincial level. In a way it was also an introduction to the adult world, providing a good reason to dress up in suits and speaking with clarity and poise. One thing that I didn't like is that the combative nature of the debates is promoted over actually seeking truth from the evidence; you're in a scenario which forces you to be out more to prove your opponent wrong and poke holes in his argument than to come to a greater understanding of the truth from all the evidence provided.

I've held this viewpoint for a long time. In high school, we were to do a debate on a certain topic given in advance, where you weren't told which side you'd be doing until 5 minutes before the debate. It's a cute sport, but has some very nasty consequences when people start to seriously believe that debating is about having better arguments than your 'opponents' rather than gaining insight into a situation and finding a good approach to handle it (see also: democratic debates).

January 24, 2009, 03:47:01 PM

I've held this viewpoint for a long time. In high school, we were to do a debate on a certain topic given in advance, where you weren't told which side you'd be doing until 5 minutes before the debate. It's a cute sport, but has some very nasty consequences when people start to seriously believe that debating is about having better arguments than your 'opponents' rather than gaining insight into a situation and finding a good approach to handle it (see also: democratic debates).

see also: MY ARGUMENT IS MOAR VALID THAN URS, ALSO IM BETTER LOOKING WITH A BIGGER DICK.

I did participate in a few meetings of a debate club at my high school, but really it just kept boiling over into an ego contest, especially with those psudeo-liberal fuckheads who NEED to get THEIR opinion in on EVERY SINGLE topic, regardless of whether or not it makes sense. I found that I liked when the debate stayed friendly, but when it turned into simple bickering and mud-slinging (which it often did), I usually just zoned out.