Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Morbid Angel question.

Re: Morbid Angel question.
March 10, 2009, 11:43:54 PM
This "you have your opinion and I have my opinion" stuff is a bunch of relativist flim flam. 

The problem is that people's ability to understand an opinion varies with their biological ability.

Kind of like loading Fall Out 2 on a 486... maybe you could do it, but it would take so long to load you'd never get a real result out of it.

March 11, 2009, 01:39:28 AM
Quote from: death metal black metal
The problem is that people's ability to understand an opinion varies with their biological ability.

Ain't that the truth.

Even worse, I feel, is how people use the term opinion as a rhetorical device that supposedly disarms the idea.  As though because a statement can be viewed as an opinion, that means it only has merit relative to the one making it.  Which is a pet peeve of mine, and why I responded so dickishly to our boy, noseferatu.  I fear I'm repeating myself now, so I'll just leave it at that.

March 11, 2009, 02:30:11 AM
Yes, and his opinion just so happens to correspond with reality, thereby making it accurate. 

"Reflective of reality"? You're babbling out of your ass. That statement was so vague and so lacking in evidence that you could have literally said it about anything.

"Blessed are the Sick is in no way comparable to their other works. You can tell it's the product of simpler thinking.

Even more, Blessed is a hasty album. Everything about it screams 'I gathered up what I had on my desk, shoved it into this funnel, and lo and behold out came an album like a teardrop turd!'"

In fact, saying this about Blessed you'd at least be right, considering that whole  album is a mishmash of re-recorded songs, bizarre and goofy-sounding intros, acoustic ballads and songs with no conceptual unity whatsoever from one to the next. Formulas at least has a constant thematic thread running through the whole thing, contrary to ASPO's trolling.

Not that it would matter anyway. Even if his opinion "reflected reality", I wouldn't give a shit either way. The music I like I like for myself, and if I get something out of it and you don't that's good enough for me and too bad for you, and nothing some dipshit on the internet has to say about it is going to change my enjoyment of it.

March 11, 2009, 02:37:00 AM
Yes, and his opinion just so happens to correspond with reality, thereby making it accurate. 

"Reflective of reality"? You're babbling out of your ass. That statement was so vague and so lacking in evidence that you could have literally said it about anything.

"Blessed are the Sick is in no way comparable to their other works. You can tell it's the product of simpler thinking.

Even more, Blessed is a hasty album. Everything about it screams 'I gathered up what I had on my desk, shoved it into this funnel, and lo and behold out came an album like a teardrop turd!'"

In fact, saying this about Blessed you'd at least be right, considering that whole  album is a mishmash of re-recorded songs, bizarre and goofy-sounding intros, acoustic ballads and songs with no conceptual unity whatsoever from one to the next. Formulas at least has a constant thematic thread running through the whole thing.

Not that it would matter anyway. Even if his opinion "reflected reality", I wouldn't give a shit either way. The music I like I like for myself, and if I get something out of it and you don't that's good enough for me and too bad for you, and no amount of arguing with some dipshit on the internet is going to change that.

Um...wow.

If you can't see the flowing brilliance of that album, from start to finish, you may need to head back to, "metal for dummies 101".

March 11, 2009, 02:42:50 AM
Flowing, like a stream of manure from a cow's ass? You're putting words into my mouth and distracting from the real issue in my post. Nowhere did I say that I didn't like Blessed, I just used it as an example, not that it's any concern of yours what I like and what I don't. Nice attempted appeal to authority by the way, "IF U DONT LIKE _______, ULL BE BURNED BY THE METAL INQUISITION!!!!!". Next time you should try a bit harder to point out its brilliance, which shouldn't be hard if it's so obvious.

March 11, 2009, 06:43:03 PM
Not that it would matter anyway. Even if his opinion "reflected reality", I wouldn't give a shit either way. The music I like I like for myself, and if I get something out of it and you don't that's good enough for me and too bad for you, and nothing some dipshit on the internet has to say about it is going to change my enjoyment of it.

So an album's worth is judged by how much YOU enjoy it.  What wonderful criteria.  In case you didn't notice, nobody gives a shit about what you do or don't find enjoyable.  If you like the taste of shit, that's fine, but that doesn't change the fact that it's shit.  If all you care about is whether you find something pleasurable, then why even bother posting on a forum?  What do you expect to gain from participating in an intellectual circle jerk?  If that's all you're interested in then I see no reason to continue this conversation.  If, however, you would like to discuss the artistic merit of certain works, I, and many others here, would be more than happy to do so.

edit:  Just for clarification, I'd like to point out that I already stated the reason I originally responded in such a dickish manor was because nosferatu tried to pull the "well that's just your opinion card."

March 11, 2009, 10:05:11 PM

In fact, saying this about Blessed you'd at least be right, considering that whole  album is a mishmash of re-recorded songs, bizarre and goofy-sounding intros, acoustic ballads and songs with no conceptual unity whatsoever from one to the next. Formulas at least has a constant thematic thread running through the whole thing, contrary to ASPO's trolling.

Actually, there is quite a bit of conceptual unity, as well as musical unity.  On conceptual unity, there is a general theme of embracing evil, insanity, "sickness", to gain power.  To quote a good friend of mine on it, "It's like a warrior purifying himself in the flames of hell, and arising again more powerful".  Examine the songs, they generally tend to revolve around this topic lyrically.

As for musically, there is definitely a distinct way of writing melodies that Morbid Angel used, for example near the end of Brainstorm, after the "I, son of fire, in anger become, the lightning bolts that strike the earth" part.  First, there is a relatively even rhythm power chord half to the melody, then the second half a chaotic trill of notes is thrown into it.  This sort of phrasing is pretty common throughout the album.  There's a wonderful warped feeling to the melodies, that goes along well with the embrace of chaos found conceptually.

Of course, whether you like it or not is irrelevant, and this is only what I personally hear when I listen to the album.

March 12, 2009, 02:29:30 AM
Flowing, like a stream of manure from a cow's ass? You're putting words into my mouth and distracting from the real issue in my post. Nowhere did I say that I didn't like Blessed, I just used it as an example, not that it's any concern of yours what I like and what I don't. Nice attempted appeal to authority by the way, "IF U DONT LIKE _______, ULL BE BURNED BY THE METAL INQUISITION!!!!!". Next time you should try a bit harder to point out its brilliance, which shouldn't be hard if it's so obvious.

You seriously must be trolling at this point. You say the album flows like a stream of manure, then you say that you don't dislike the album? If it's brilliance is obvious, why do I need to point it out? I don't think we're seeing the album differently, we just have different criterias on what we think is good.

I personally love the different breaks in the album. The album unfolds like a story. It never becomes mundane. There is always conflict, yet structure in what the album is saying. The album starts off slowly, then builds with Fall from Grace, then continues on with Brainstorm, followed by the organic solo in Rebel Lands, which sounds like spirits rising from the earth as David Vincent screams for his forefathers to rise once again, continuing along with the doomy Doomsday Celebration, back to the attack with Day of Suffering, which leads to the heart of the album, with Blessed are the Sick. Just read the lyrics to that song. They are brilliant, and is where you truly understand the meaning of this album.

When Vincent says, "Blessed are we, to taste this life of sin", he is explaining how fortunate, or, "blessed" they are to have released themselves from the holy chains of religion and obedience and have truly embraced what freedom and living truly is. Isn't this what life in this world is about? To remove one's guilt of what they find pleasure in, and to seek it out for themselves? This is what this album is screaming for, it's what it MUST have. This is an incredibly powerful idea.

Both Thy Kingdom Come and Unholy Blasphemies keep things powerful, which leads to probably my favorite song on the album, Abominations. The lyrics to this song in particular are so creative and image provoking, that it always gets me, even after many many listens. If one pays attention during the middle chorus of that song, and listens to how the squealing guitar sounds and the main riff play off eachother, and even moreso with the last guitar solo, they will notice the dueling guitar sounds playing off eachother, much like the figures on the booksleeve, which mirror eachother. Desolate ways, of course, is simply beauty and isolation amongst all the chaos, which leads to the finally assault with The Ancient ones, which ends the confict and leads the album to it's end. And In Remembrance sounds like the sadness and end of the journey.

It may seem a bit dramatic to break it down like this, but for me, this album really feels like I've gone somewhere. It isn't just random songs constructed together, like later Morbid Angel albums do.

March 12, 2009, 03:00:03 AM
Herein lies the problem with many posters on this site.

ANUS poster #1 - Oh hey, this album ____ is a metal masterpiece! Listening to it is both a mentally and spiritually fulfilling experience. Truly, a cornerstone of the genre.

ANUS poster #2 - Hm. I do enjoy this album of which you speak, it is well put together. However, I personally enjoy this album _____ more, as its general atmosphere and ideas appeal more to my tastes.

ANUS poster #1 (along with perhaps 3-4 other people) - WHAT? YOU HAVE AIDS. LEAVE THIS FORUM AND GO LISTEN TO BRITNEY SPEARS OR METALCORE.

I've brought this up many times, especially with bands I don't enjoy but appreciate. Appreciation of craft and technique should be something that one can take away from a well constructed album, even if one does not like it (example - Obscura). Saying that it is mandatory to like said album is bollocks, and approaching fanboyism.

March 12, 2009, 06:26:29 AM
Herein lies the problem with many posters on this site.

ANUS poster #1 - Oh hey, this album ____ is a metal masterpiece! Listening to it is both a mentally and spiritually fulfilling experience. Truly, a cornerstone of the genre.

ANUS poster #2 - Hm. I do enjoy this album of which you speak, it is well put together. However, I personally enjoy this album _____ more, as its general atmosphere and ideas appeal more to my tastes.

ANUS poster #1 (along with perhaps 3-4 other people) - WHAT? YOU HAVE AIDS. LEAVE THIS FORUM AND GO LISTEN TO BRITNEY SPEARS OR METALCORE.

I've brought this up many times, especially with bands I don't enjoy but appreciate. Appreciation of craft and technique should be something that one can take away from a well constructed album, even if one does not like it (example - Obscura). Saying that it is mandatory to like said album is bollocks, and approaching fanboyism.

I agree, for the most part. Where I see a divergence is the few who come here looking for a fight, which causes even a few of the regular users who provide interesting conversation to the point of rabid defense. Don't feed the trolls is unfortunately an adequate mantra here.

March 15, 2009, 05:13:05 AM

You seriously must be trolling at this point. You say the album flows like a stream of manure, then you say that you don't dislike the album? If it's brilliance is obvious, why do I need to point it out? I don't think we're seeing the album differently, we just have different criterias on what we think is good.

I personally love the different breaks in the album. The album unfolds like a story. It never becomes mundane. There is always conflict, yet structure in what the album is saying. The album starts off slowly, then builds with Fall from Grace, then continues on with Brainstorm, followed by the organic solo in Rebel Lands, which sounds like spirits rising from the earth as David Vincent screams for his forefathers to rise once again, continuing along with the doomy Doomsday Celebration, back to the attack with Day of Suffering, which leads to the heart of the album, with Blessed are the Sick. Just read the lyrics to that song. They are brilliant, and is where you truly understand the meaning of this album.

When Vincent says, "Blessed are we, to taste this life of sin", he is explaining how fortunate, or, "blessed" they are to have released themselves from the holy chains of religion and obedience and have truly embraced what freedom and living truly is. Isn't this what life in this world is about? To remove one's guilt of what they find pleasure in, and to seek it out for themselves? This is what this album is screaming for, it's what it MUST have. This is an incredibly powerful idea.

Both Thy Kingdom Come and Unholy Blasphemies keep things powerful, which leads to probably my favorite song on the album, Abominations. The lyrics to this song in particular are so creative and image provoking, that it always gets me, even after many many listens. If one pays attention during the middle chorus of that song, and listens to how the squealing guitar sounds and the main riff play off eachother, and even moreso with the last guitar solo, they will notice the dueling guitar sounds playing off eachother, much like the figures on the booksleeve, which mirror eachother. Desolate ways, of course, is simply beauty and isolation amongst all the chaos, which leads to the finally assault with The Ancient ones, which ends the confict and leads the album to it's end. And In Remembrance sounds like the sadness and end of the journey.

It may seem a bit dramatic to break it down like this, but for me, this album really feels like I've gone somewhere. It isn't just random songs constructed together, like later Morbid Angel albums do.

I agree completely. The interludes/instrumentals flow perfectly with the album. Blessed is a close second to Altars.

Trey has stated on many occassions how Morbid Angel's message has always been about thinking for ones self. It says it all on the title track to Blessed.

March 15, 2009, 06:14:45 PM
Quote from: ares
Blessed is a close second to Altars.

Altars is definitely MA's most consistent album, and in many ways I think Covenant may be their best in terms of individual songs (although the quality drops off very drastically near the end), but Blessed flows in this warped and twisted fashion that unifies the album as a whole, as Stranger outlined.  Where as Altars and Covenant seem more like collections of songs.  The progression of Blessed gives it a dynamic and lasting power that sets it above not just the rest of their discography but the vast majority of metal albums.  I absolutely never get tired of listening to it.

March 15, 2009, 06:37:45 PM
Altars is definitely MA's most consistent album, and in many ways I think Covenant may be their best in terms of individual songs (although the quality drops off very drastically near the end), but Blessed flows in this warped and twisted fashion that unifies the album as a whole, as Stranger outlined.  Where as Altars and Covenant seem more like collections of songs.  The progression of Blessed gives it a dynamic and lasting power that sets it above not just the rest of their discography but the vast majority of metal albums.  I absolutely never get tired of listening to it.

The guitar sound on Altars is one of blasphemous feedback. The guitar sound on Blessed is like a neutered dog. Also the beginning riff to "Thy Kingdom Come" sounds like it was written by a pop-punk band.

Otherwise, I like Blessed.

March 15, 2009, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: deadite
The guitar sound on Altars is one of blasphemous feedback.  The guitar sound on Blessed is like a neutered dog.

Aye.  It sounds like they were going for the more muddled tone that was later achieved on Covenant, but in doing so compromised the grit and attack that would have been more fitting.  It's similar to the production problems that plagued Suffocation's second album.  Must have been bad Juju or something.

March 15, 2009, 08:13:47 PM
Dave's growling style also changed on that album to a slightly tamer version. If 'Blessed..' had altars of madness production (although a bit clearer than on altars), it would be IMO perfect. This is just an aesthetic preference however.