Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Video Games make you socially retarded

Video Games make you socially retarded
January 24, 2009, 05:12:20 PM
Researchers at Brigham Young University in Utah talked to 813 university students across the US, and found that as the amount of time playing video games went up, the quality of relationships with friends and family went down.

Daily gamers reported smoking marijuana almost twice as often as occasional players, and three times as often as those who never play.

For young women, self-worth was low if their video game time was high.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/video-games-linked-to-poor-relationships-513275

I bet they'll find the same is true of the internet and politics. Surrogate activities.

Re: Video Games make you socially retarded
January 24, 2009, 06:49:37 PM
Self-fulfilling prophecy: people with high self-esteem, solid relationships and successful lives don't have time to game.

January 24, 2009, 08:09:35 PM
People today treat games as a WAY OF LIFE. It isnt.

I play video games occasionally, and I smoke weed occasionally too. The key is to use those things as leisure time, and not have the leisure time envelop everything so you dont have time to do important things.

If you cant pull your head out of your ass and realize that video games (like many things) are meant to be used in moderation, and you need to get OFF the couch to change things, then you deserve whatever life shits onto you.

NHA

January 24, 2009, 11:40:31 PM
It should be pretty obvious that study reverses cause and effect.

Depressed people are more likely to escape reality.

January 27, 2009, 03:09:58 AM
There can be other factors affecting the results like age. Younger people are more likely to do drugs and play video games.