Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Ovid's Metamorphoses

Ovid's Metamorphoses
January 30, 2009, 12:42:33 PM
What's the consensus on this poem? Is it a haphazard mishmash of Greco-Roman myth, or a sublime tapestry of all that is absurd, complex, and beautiful in the world? My opinion is definitely of the later. I have heard that it was Shakespeare's favorite piece of literature.

Re: Ovid's Metamorphoses
January 30, 2009, 01:03:26 PM
Hardly haphazard, but certainly a chronicle of their lore.  Possibly sublime (certainly in scope, possibly in artistic merit).  I like it a lot.

January 30, 2009, 09:54:52 PM
I think the Oxford Classics's translation is brilliant. Ovid is said to have been a natural poet, and if nothing has been changed in translation, then I agree. I really enjoy Ovid's playful portrayal of the arbitrary and capricious behaviours of the Gods (i.e., like reality), and some of the stories themselves are beautiful. Io turning into a cow has been one of my favourites so far.

January 31, 2009, 12:50:38 PM
I've only read bits and pieces of it, but these were thoroughly well done. Whether the whole of it is coherent, I cannot say, but the individual poems are certainly breathtakingly beautiful. Certainly a lot more interesting than the reasons I cannot possibly fathom revered Catul.

January 31, 2009, 04:34:48 PM
The reason that I brought this poem up is that I feel that it is very "metal" in it's abilty to depict violence without flinching(check out the account of the marriage of Perseus and Andromeda,for example), and it's recognition of changing apperances(the transformations, or the Veil of Maya) and the eternal principles that the universe is based upon. Prozak should write a review for it!