Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Wolves In The Throne Room - Malevolent Grain review

I actually listened to that last night, my first wolves in the throne room experience.  I reacted in almost the exact same way. 

I like that review. What all the fuss is about this band is and always has been beyond me...

I confuse Wolves in the Throne Room with Velvet Caccoon because the approach seems the same to me: make indie pop but make it super-repetitive using emo chording and black metal aesthetics.

I confuse Wolves in the Throne Room with Velvet Caccoon because the approach seems the same to me: make indie pop but make it super-repetitive using emo chording and black metal aesthetics.

They have been moving further down that road with each release. Two Hunters was at least a thoughtful album. It was striving for something deeper than itself even if it never quite reached it. This release, however, seems to have lost any of the spirit that they had and they seem content to float in a vapid haze of hipster sweat. Boring to say the least.

I was hoping their music would become more adventurous.

I just listened to this, and I cannot believe they made this jump from Two Hunters. Sounds horrible. Almost has a poppy feel to it. Sounds like if ELO made black metal, in a bad way.