Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Experience and music

Re: Experience and music
February 08, 2009, 04:19:07 AM
Have we really sunken as low as assessing the intellectual validity of our music based on the number of us who are college professors and semi-influential yuppies?

February 08, 2009, 09:45:31 AM
What an absurdity, this discussion. It's common knowledge that metalheads and even members of prominent bands include professor(s), Nokia executive position, the most famous Finnish meteorologist who is on TV practically every day... etc. A horde of metallers in academic research. My physics teacher at the university wrote in the margín of my exam: "BTW: Support your local Einsatz Kommando". Articles have appeared about this phenomenon in Finnish newspapers. It doesn't have any special meaning in Northern Europe because metal is simply so popular, not marginal or the domain of drunks, imbeciles and unemployed.

Jay

February 11, 2009, 12:20:30 PM
Can you elaborate on type 3? Quite frankly, I've never met anyone but metalheads who like ambient music.

Interesting, for I've been rarely meeting metalheads with interests in ambient stuff - surprisingly, it appears dull, too static and formless to them. The level of complexity of ambient music frequently does not appeal to metal people, who focus mostly on action and variety of rock music.

February 15, 2009, 03:06:51 PM
It doesn't have any special meaning in Northern Europe because metal is simply so popular, not marginal or the domain of drunks, imbeciles and unemployed.

It's different in the states. People are more into their image like people are in third world countries, so there are lots of idiots who want to be cool like the metal kids. Idiots are either neanderthals, or hipsters, who think being ironically stupid means you're not still stupid.