Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

2008 albums you'll want to still own in 2009

Re: 2008 albums you'll want to still own in 2009
February 14, 2009, 01:13:31 AM
If, in an entire minute, I can find nothing to promote great interest in myself, then I have most probably picked the very worst minute of the entire album.

The three bands from this list which interested me in the slightest were:

Averse Sefira, who I have tried so many times to like, and yet I find it so difficult for some reason;

Master, whose music was, to be fair, rather good;

Hellhammer (but they're not even from the right era).

I shall listen to the others more, when I have more time, and, with any luck, they will grow on me.  As it is, I'd rather listen to some Emperor.

February 14, 2009, 07:59:27 AM
i don't know if it would be of any assistance, but to me personally, listening to Averse Sefira can be almost boring, maybe even annoying, unless i'm listening to them the same way one would want to listen to a classical symphony - full attention, transfixed, almost meditatively. when i do that, new levels reveal themselves. as background music, it's terrible - but that's definitely not a fault
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

February 14, 2009, 04:52:29 PM
i don't know if it would be of any assistance, but to me personally, listening to Averse Sefira can be almost boring, maybe even annoying, unless i'm listening to them the same way one would want to listen to a classical symphony - full attention, transfixed, almost meditatively. when i do that, new levels reveal themselves. as background music, it's terrible - but that's definitely not a fault

This is true of alot of great music.  It sounds unremarkable if you attempt to use it as background music, primarily because you lose many of the subtleties that are so key to the music.  Then again, I really wouldn't recommend listening to any music in the background, that just amounts to brain numbing, attention destroying multi-tasking, hah.

February 14, 2009, 05:33:33 PM
that's absolutely true - i try to listen to everything intently, largely because i've found that doing otherwise makes it impossible to decide if something is worthwhile or not. the reason i mention it with Averse Sefira is that the dichotomy between the two methods is (in my personal experience) especially pronounced in their case. a lot of music is either obviously special even when listened to lackadaisically, or obviously bad even when listened to intently - although the weight of the respective impressions can be lessened, the grain is there.

Averse Sefira, though, can seem both very mundane AND very transcendent depending on the listener's approach - more so than other bands. Advent Parallax is particularly notable for this in that they seem to have found a way to embrace this trait to the fullest by making an album entirely devoted to unraveling the complexity inherent to simple structures, and vice-versa. it's one of the closest approximations to a fractal i've heard in metal music.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

February 15, 2009, 03:00:46 PM
Then again, I really wouldn't recommend listening to any music in the background, that just amounts to brain numbing, attention destroying multi-tasking, hah.

Best point made here today.

Any music that works well with multi-tasking is probably idiot music.

Like Kraftwerk said of the blues: it's good music to do housework to.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh