Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Most smart people render themselves ineffective

I guess what I was originally trying to express with this series of posts:

Life sucks, sure; it sucks more now, because our civilization has gone insane.

However, most smart people freak out when they figure that out, and retreat. They withdraw into themselves.

If smart people got powerful in society instead of dropping out, met decent women/men instead of remaining single, and spread their ideas intelligently instead of having emotional reactions, this crisis would be easily solved.

But even more -- it's stupid to see so many promising lives lived running away from responsibility and stupidity both, when they need to only sidestep and not retreat from the latter.

(You can do that and also masturbate until you wear a groove in your palm.)

This kind of strong, dynamic, clever person transcends the two dualities of modern society: either your a stupid, materialistic 'tough guy' and have physical power, or you are a meek little nerd with an IQ of 170 but plays on internet games all day - these two archetypes are both existent, and equally deluded about life. The warriors of ancient times, by whatever means, conquered themselves and became above these people. They were not neccessarily very smart, as this forum places an emphasis on 'smartness', it was just an understanding of life and power that lead them to greatness, and truthful worldviews. Nowadays the average person does not even have a grasp of nature or reality - much less agriculture leads people to a disgustingly in-organic existence, and so their worldview becomes accordingly warped. 'Average' people do not have to be a plague, as they are today, but realise ideals set by the spirit of the culture as best they can, and at least strive towards them. Before we set out changing society even in small ways, we have to try and see this truthfully for ourselves, which is most certainly the most important step. Because, what else is our struggle other than an inner one?

This "duality of modern society" you speak of seems to me to be a cliche.  There are no Herculean clauds or pocket protector geeks.  Most modern people fit one, and only one, criteria.  They mostly believe that one must rely on common sense rather than logic or reasoning.  They are mostly lazy and sluggish, although some are athletes in their teenage years only to become soft later in life.  Most importanly they mostly all either ignore modern problems or say that all things are bad and nothing can be done about them. 

This is all obvious and stated already, but I just thought your duality sounded like stock characters from bad movies. 

I also find it close minded to say this website focuses on "smartness".  Does it focus on smartness at all?  At least past a reasonable degree?  Spirit, direction and heroism are not smartness.  One cen see the world for what it is with the most common mind, if they care to try.

It is the belief of this author that the super high IQ societies were created primarily by those who have adopted the marginal strategy, and by rights ought to be aimed at fulfilling the needs of this subdivision of the exceptionally gifted. It's obvious from reading the journals that those who have followed the committed strategy rarely participate in society affairs, rarely write for the various journals, and indeed have little need to belong to such a group. They have far more productive outlets for their talents. It's the exceptionally gifted adult who feels stifled that stands most in need of a high IQ society. The tragedy is that none of the super high IQ societies created thus far have been able to meet those needs, and the reason for this is simple. None of these groups is willing to acknowledge or come to terms with the fact that much of their membership belong to the psychological walking wounded. This alone is enough to explain the constant schisms that develop, the frequent vendettas, and the mediocre level of their publications. But those are not immutable facts; they can be changed. And the first step in doing so is to see ourselves as we are.

http://www.prometheussociety.org/articles/Outsiders.html

Basic hypothesis of this article: smart people have little time for the monkeyshines that most human half-monkeys engage in. As a result, they come across as uncaring monsters, when really -- to their perception -- everyone else simply appears to be an incompetent idiot.

I see a lot of this here: amongst the scattered wise, a herd of alienated manchildren, most unable to take even rudimentary action, because they've been shocked into silence and sterility by social condemnation.

reading my earlier post, it seemed i voiced my opinion very clumsily. what i meant was that many people fall short of seeing reality or joy in such; mainly because people live such secluded urban lifestyles in an artificial society. some may have glimsed it, im sure many have at some times in their life, especially in conflict of some sort. this renders people fairly useless, who otherwise would have some dynamic thought about them. being active on this forum and recognising the ideals are certainly a start towards seeing past social illusion, but only some people will see this truly, and others will view the 'style' of this forum and take it on as their own for little more than social reasons (ANUS hipsters).

I also find it close minded to say this website focuses on "smartness".  Does it focus on smartness at all?  At least past a reasonable degree?  Spirit, direction and heroism are not smartness.  One cen see the world for what it is with the most common mind, if they care to try.

this proves the point of my previous post, and yes the forum does seem to focus on smartness. look at the title of the thread!

Smart seems at times used loosely to mean someone who has potential and the means to apply it. By implication, this is most often someone having above average intelligence. But it could also mean a hero who perceives opportunity/necessity, acts decisively in the face of risk and is in the end successful like this postal worker. Aren't there also spirited musicians who make the world less suck, more worthwhile? That's a smart thing to do too.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

In realityland, all abilities are genetic.

You have to be smart before you can do anything else, and by smart I mean a paltry 120 IQ points.

(Before you whine about IQ tests, go get yourself tested. If you're above 120, you'll relax; if you're below 120, you'll see your opinion is useless anyway. Do not use internet tests.)

Among the smart, there are some corrupt who need to get killed.

What's left is the basis for the next evolution of the human species. I think: why not the overman? A human race with average IQ of 140 would have far fewer problems, and be able to do many more interesting things.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

If you read 'brave new world', you will see that fine - you can breed a race of people with super high IQ points and massive strength, but this does not mean that they will accomplish much, if anything. this is because they have indeed been 'designed' for a purpose - not for a natural imperative. in an organic society, these people would surely be revered, as we can see from history, so eugenics must work on a 'holistic' level for it not to descend into ambiguity. i do agree that stupid people have little place in the world (as a result of all the comforts of the past 500 years). at the least they should be confined to voicelessness.

how would we begin this process of 'smartening' the world? what sort of activism would promote this?

If you read 'brave new world', you will see that fine - you can breed a race of people with super high IQ points and massive strength, but this does not mean that they will accomplish much, if anything.

I think you're misreading it. His point was that a society which aims for pleasure-seeking and individualism will ultimately end up being a desperate, utilitarian, negative place where nothing has any meaning. Entropy, like Pynchon and DeLillo wrote about.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Yeah, so NOT descending into this would be helpful to keep a controlled eugenics program on track. we have only approached the issue of breeding out stupidity, not the means or the ends.

how would we begin this process of 'smartening' the world? what sort of activism would promote this?

With an easily replicated system. Its instruments detect amount of brainwave activity in select regions over a few days, then determines if the subject is a pass or no go. No gos get a mysterious aneurism. Analysis and delivery system could be some kind of nanotech that spreads between people and replicates itself like a common cold or flu virus.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

I see myself as a more observant member of my age group. I however, often do feel a bit depressed with the way society is formulated. My main personal grumblings have to do with what society expects of you educationally.

You're shoved into a mostly likely sub-standard school(s) for about 12 years of your life, and when you're barely even hitting 17 or 18 years old you're supposed to know what you want to do with the rest of your life? I know this sounds like I'm being a bit lazy when it comes to thinking of the future, but I just see this as a sort of forced role youths are crammed into because the American workforce needs our precious warm bodies to stimulate it's coffers. I feel constrained and bored in College, mostly because the majority of my classes involve passive learning which involves little else than memorizing dates and regurgitating facts. GET ME OUT SOMEWHERE! LET ME DO SOMETHING HANDS ON! I'm sick of just going to classes to professors that amaze me with their dryness and lack of inspiration for the subject they are supposed to be teaching us.

Modern society and modern education to me is just a massive rat race. Wash, rinse, repeat. You go to college to make sure you can wedge yourself into a job (IF you get a job....and that is a big IF in these economic times) and make bags of money, marry off and have a nice big house with a blond wife with huge tits and spawn off a few brats. I want something different....I want to live dangerously! I just don't feel like modern society allows such a lifestyle though...you're either labeled as a nut or looked down upon for wanting an alternative to a boring existence.

Learning should be SO MUCH MORE than what I have experienced. I could literally teach myself anything I want to by myself. I'm just wondering why I'm doing it in a big business (colleges are businesses first, learning institutions second)....I feel incredibly unfulfilled and without much direction. 

Yeah, I've read that and I loved it. I've read every article on anus, and to be honest they opened my eyes to a lot of things I hadn't noticed about society before then.