Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sydney activist burns church

Sydney activist burns church
April 19, 2009, 02:06:57 AM
A teenage boy has been charged over a fire which destroyed a church on Sydney's north-shore.

St Andrew's Uniting Church at South Turramurra was gutted in the blaze, which started just before 1am today.

Police arrested the 17-year-old boy early this morning.

He has been charged with damaging property by fire and is expected to appear in Parramatta Children's Court later today.

link

There was mention of others who have not yet been identified.

Question: does this act still have any significance? In this context, I think not.

Re: Sydney activist burns church
April 19, 2009, 11:19:17 PM
No act is gonna have significance unless the actor links it to the name of a philosophy or movement most people can understand.

April 21, 2009, 01:42:23 AM
I'd be interested to hear his actual motivations, straight from his mouth.

Hopefully it's not something along the lines of "Christians are stupid and I was bored so I figured I'd burn a church to protest...you know...God."

April 21, 2009, 10:23:37 AM
I'd be interested to hear his actual motivations, straight from his mouth.

Hopefully it's not something along the lines of "Christians are stupid and I was bored so I figured I'd burn a church to protest...you know...God."

The last fellow to burn a church in Sydney said something pretty much to that effect. I got the impression he was a relatively bright guy(he was a professed Burzum fan), but unfortunately he was horribly inarticulate. If you're doing it to make a statement, at least think of some smart things to say beforehand.

I'll update if I hear any more about it.

No act is gonna have significance unless the actor links it to the name of a philosophy or movement most people can understand.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. The media/public will view this as an isolated incident and an act of random destruction.

There's little point outright attacking Christianity. They tried that in Norway and in the long run it probably did more harm to black metal than anything. Maybe if smarter people reform it...

Update: two more teenagers arrested. No footage or interviews yet.