Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FENRIZ: "90's black metal is for little kids"

FENRIZ: "90's black metal is for little kids"
March 09, 2009, 11:35:34 AM
Panzergrim uberLOLs!
Below is a message an angry Fenriz of Darkthrone sent me via myspace;

------------------------------------------
you go to MY space to shit in my pool?

i made AND recorded trans hunger in 2 WEEKS.

now i use 2-3 months to write one song. primitive is difficult. 90s black metal is easy and more or less for little kid.

go die.

fenriz
----------------------------------------

Yep, I've been pissing off the fanboys over on the official Darkthrone myspace.
Follow the link to see what pissed him off; 
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=123087153&blogId=474989803

If he thinks 90's black metal is easy he should do a fucking 90's black metal album and stop wasting his time on crust and Myspace.

Oh, and I wanted to reply to his message, but I'm blocked from doing so now.
Here's my response anyway, maybe someone who's still a "friend" of Darkthrone could forward it on for me? Heh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom G. Warrior said exactly the same thing about Hellhammer once.
And I bet I know what your response (as a fan) would have been. So tell me who the fuck listens to later Celtic Frost albums over "Morbid Tales" or HH "Satanic Rites"?

It's sad to know that you don't see the worth in your old albums anymore. Sure, loads of idiots have tried to copy what you did in the early 90's and that made you sick of it, but those albums still stand out over the imitators.

Read the reviews at the page below to see why your early releases are regarded as great works of art.
http://www.anus.com/metal/darkthrone/

----------------- Original Message -----------------
To: ANTIHUMANISM.COM
Date: 08 Mar 2009, 19:49
Subject:

you go to MY space to shit in my pool?

now i use 2-3 months to write one song. primitive is difficult. 90s black metal is easy and more or less for little kid.

go die.

fenriz

I think the use of the words "necro", "grim", and "aaayyyyyykkkkkk" should be banned.

It was a great move in early 90s to strip down (death) metal from unnecessary bullshit and elements distracting from its core. To drop rock/metal tendency of pointless showcase of musicianship . Transilvanian... and Under... were both "primitive" yet more complicated and meaningful and we all now why. Today's records aren't even profound and honest as those from 80s (on which they try to stylize itself) naturally managed to be, because they are painfully forced, unconvincing and hollow, even if you want to approach them simply as a rock and roll or other party music.
It's a pop star attitude - my old work is not authentic,  now I know finally what I want to do and only that matters (those who were liking my work back then are morons and posers, but not I, a hypocrite, of course).
Were they aware of it or not, their music from early 90s contained some truth and artistry. And if they need now few months to prepare those turds...well there should be their interviews somwhere on which fenriz states that he is a burnout now (but he's got very creative run back then, I must admit), but also that he's not going to quit because darkthrone is opus of his life. What kind of motive for creating music is this: "to sound like in 80s", "to sound primitive"? It's still only a form but utilized for what purpose, I ask? Oh, there's no significant purpose behind that.
Classical<------------------Metal----------------->Ambient

Now they focus on the sound, not the idea, which makes them not so different from hipster bands.

NHA

At 2-3 months per song its obvious hes just trying to brute force things. After a point you stop creating anything new and are just neurotically tweaking things into regression.

In the 90s, they had a concept in mind before even picking up their instruments. Now their goal is to mimic the past, but without any of the context that made it relevant. Its like sitting down in front of a blank canvas and telling yourself "I'm bored; I'm a painter; I'm gonna paint something", producing something arbitrary and pointless.

It seems very few bands actually get better over time. Technical aspects tend to improve, but thats about it.

The thing with most modern intelligent people is: outside their small circle of acquaintances their lives have no relevance, their society is directionless, and their day jobs amount to nothing. The desperation to find relevance in their lives provides a drive to create. Creation becomes an indirect means to provide external validation of their existence. The problem is, once this validation has been achieved, their fundamental motivation is gone; any album after this point is just going through the motions.

To borrow a quote from the Averse Sefira interview:

The vibrations of "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" reflected the flesh while describing the spirit. "Advent Parallax" vibrates the spirit while reflecting the flesh. There was hidden purpose in the intertwining of these frequencies, a purpose not yet revealed. There was a natural calculation that produced progression. It's all part of chasing the dragon. The dragon is either caught and the last seal of understanding is broken and there is nothing left to accomplish or the pursuer is broken in the pursuit, devoured by the dragon and there is nothing left to accomplish. In the end, there is only the void. Only death is real. Thyapihlon.

This is a pretty good image of what happened to Darkthrone (and most other metal bands) after they hit their peak with "Transilvanian Hunger."

It's no longer a mystery to me why people unfavorably tag AS as an "ANUS band". I like them and I think that the quote is apt, but fucking hell do they have to be cited in every thread on this board?

Awh, Fenriz is a Myspace kiddy. How cute.

It seems pretty clear to me that Fenriz is a classic example of the old expression, "too clever by half." The whole schtick is just boring already. Listening to him carrry-on about hiking and camping as if somehow he himself just discovered this glorious pastime is as bizarre as it is just plain goofy. To be fair, he's probably a lot of fun to hang out with a bend a few elbows, and is likely an interesting fellow on a variety of levels. His opinions on music however, including his own, are essentially of no interest to me whatever.   

The whole schtick is just boring already. Listening to him carrry-on about hiking and camping as if somehow he himself just discovered this glorious pastime is as bizarre as it is just plain goofy.  

But...but....

FOREVAAAAAAARRR!!!!!
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

At 2-3 months per song its obvious hes just trying to brute force things. After a point you stop creating anything new and are just neurotically tweaking things into regression.

In the 90s, they had a concept in mind before even picking up their instruments. Now their goal is to mimic the past, but without any of the context that made it relevant. Its like sitting down in front of a blank canvas and telling yourself "I'm bored; I'm a painter; I'm gonna paint something", producing something arbitrary and pointless.

It seems very few bands actually get better over time. Technical aspects tend to improve, but thats about it.

crystal clear. nicely said.
World War I as the End of Civilization.
Tolkien as a Libertarian.
Sammaellofi:So for now on, when someone asks you what good metal is, don't say Slayer, Darkthrone, Morbid Angel, but instead say Hell Awaits, Transilvanian Hunger and Blessed are the Sick.

If he thinks 90's black metal is easy he should do a fucking 90's black metal album and stop wasting his time on crust and Myspace.

I think Fenriz has finally realized just how horrible everything post-Panzerfaust has been. Instead of accepting it and trying to produce great music, he tries to downplay the early Darkthrone albums in order to make his recent disasters look better.

The dude should have hung it up a while ago.

it seems to me that he is in a way doing the same thing as in the 90's: trying to write simpler and more direct music than he/they could write/play without restrainig their abilities. Another prove, to me at least, that the sparkle of genius is never linked to similar situations and similar actions. It's just unique. you just can't do the same thing many times without wearing it off: 1. he can't do a better transilvanian h. (and he s not trying either) 2. he can't do more primitive music than than (but he fucking tries...). Maybe the best solution it would be to pick up where they left before writing A blaze and creatively melt what they gained by composing black metal with that... but nooooo "I'm Iggy Pop nowwww". Well....
World War I as the End of Civilization.
Tolkien as a Libertarian.
Sammaellofi:So for now on, when someone asks you what good metal is, don't say Slayer, Darkthrone, Morbid Angel, but instead say Hell Awaits, Transilvanian Hunger and Blessed are the Sick.