Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FENRIZ: "90's black metal is for little kids"

NHA

I have to admit, i like their cover of Love in a Void: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxlJIojr58

It lost the bleakness of the original though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ9eWyxnZ8

I personally find any Darkthrone album after Panzerfaust to be irrelevant. I do give them credit for going in the blackened crust punk direction. I find their black/punk material to be pretty flat & will be forgotten in time, but they're at least paying an ode to their punk influences. 99% better than what the so-called BM bands are doing today, then again that isn't saying much.

they're at least paying an ode to their punk influences.

This is all they have done for the last 15 years.  Talk about bands they like that are obscure and make music that sounds like old music.  They are unable to create, so they decide to be fans instead of musicians, except they coincidentally happen to record and release albums as well. 

I often wonder if Nocturno is bored with the music, when Fenriz says things like "I am finally getting him into the punk thing" as if he is a metal musician being drug along for a dull ride by his wife.

99% better than what the so-called BM bands are doing today, then again that isn't saying much.

You know, I see that phrase a lot on this board.  I call the new Darkthrone mediocre.

99% better than what the so-called BM bands are doing today, then again that isn't saying much.

You know, I see that phrase a lot on this board.

A band being better than a big tub of shit isn't much of comliment is it?

Yes it is better.  Only because someone might buy it and think to maybe check out the earlier albums of this band.  That is the only thing that makes it any better. 

You know, I see that phrase a lot on this board.  I call the new Darkthrone mediocre.
"Mediocre" is being generous. Let's just call it for what it is: the byproduct of ingesting and digesting a multitude of different tastes and intentions  - feces.

Yes 

Late 90s Darkthrone = Mediocre
Modern Darkthrone = Greenday

Yes 

Late 90s Darkthrone = Mediocre
Modern Darkthrone = Greenday

Alright, this is a more accurate assessment.

Or better yet, have the people making bad albums be the ones who go to jail instead of Varg, as it seems like a far greater crime.

I think he's full of shit again. I know these people who have rooms full of records and they don't give a fuck about "Cult is Alive" because they don't need to hear those recombinations once again, which is perfectly logical.

Up to some point, i understand Fenriz. As a person he has changed and it's natural that his music changed as well. He likes the new stuff he's doing right now and he doesn't give a shit about the old stuff, even though we all find it ten thousand times better than any of the shit he's making now. Being a musician isn't about making good music, it's about enjoying making music. He enjoys what he's doing right now, even though it blows. So bury Darkthrone and let him be....

How can we be sure he isn't just telling everyone that he's enjoying making music?

It seems to me that the sound he's currently working with is more that which he would like to hear, and less that which he would like to create.

It seems to me that the sound he's currently working with is more that which he would like to hear, and less that which he would like to create.

They're one and the same, particularly at this point.  Why would he want to create things he wouldn't want to hear?

I believe he's creating the kind of music he would enjoy listening  to, which is not necessarily the kind of music he ought be creating - perhaps that is a better wording.

Many musicians listen to music which is absolutely different to the music they are creating at that time.  For example, In the Nightside Eclipse is just Thou Shalt Suffer, done in a style which better fits the music itself.  It's very different to Mercyful Fate, often quoted as Emperor's main influence at the time of recording.

The interpretation of music may change as it is created - that is, the style in/by which it is portrayed by the musician - but the music itself comes from the same people with the same drive and reasons to create music as they had originally.  There are definable shifts in style in Darkthrone's music, but the most notable of these, in my opinion, is Total Death, when, instead of creating good Black Metal, they created good Darkthrone.

Darkthrone are going through a midlife crisis.  Well, Fenriz is, regardless.

If Fenriz were not in Darkthrone, then I think Cult is Alive, is NOT an album he would listen to.  He says fans of Motorhead and Crust will like it.  He is missing something big.  His favorite bands Motorhead and Celtic frost DID NOT JUST REHASH OLD MUSIC.  Instead they made ORIGINAL music and did not just RE-USE OLD FORMULAS FROM THEIR FAVORITE ALBUMS. 

He would hate this music if he were a fan of Darkthrone.  He would probably say to this Fenriz guy "What the fuck!?!? What do you have to do with Motorhead?  All you do is rip off old albums.  Lemmy was a roadie for Jimmy Hendrix but you don't see him writing Purple Haze number 2!"

Actual Motorhead fans like originality, or at least they usually despise anything that attaches punk to itself to make itself look better.   Crust fans don't know who the fuck Darkthrone is and if they saw the video for Too Old, Too Cold, they would probably think it was a really bad joke and feel embarassed when they find out this guy has been trying to sell this garbage for a decade now.