Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Hardcore bands that influenced metal

Hardcore bands that influenced metal
March 11, 2009, 02:55:24 AM
Thesis: every other generation, when metal was "big" but overblown and lagging because its popularity had surged and brought in a horde of silly people, hardcore punk took over and became its primary influence. Here's a breakdown by generation:

I.

1968 - Iggy Pop

(Rock: King Crimson)

II.

1976 - The Ramones

(Rock: Yes, Camel)

(Ambient: Kraftwerk)

III.

1978 - The Exploited

1982 - Discharge, GBH

IV.

1988 - Neurosis

V.

1995 - Disfear

There are probably others, and then many people will mention who were not only less influential but less musical.

Re: Hardcore bands that influenced metal
March 12, 2009, 12:25:47 AM
Agnostic Front

March 12, 2009, 02:51:47 AM
I'll do my best to try to correlate what I see are similarities between some hardcore bands and metal bands. (as an aside, I really liked Neurosis' "Pain of Mind", very under-appreciated hardcore album)

Agnostic Front definitely had an influence (Napalm Death covered them)

Cro-Mags (could be counted as thrash, depends on how one views it)

Infest and Siege (proto-grind)

Black Flag, who practically turned metal with their later material.

Void, a short lived hardcore band whose guitarist's riffing style is an interesting one for their time period, as his riffing calls to mind thrash and even a bit of death metal.

Swedish first wave hardcore bands, like Totalitar and Anti-Cimex, definitely in my view had a hand in helping out the soon-to-be-flowering death metal scene in their country.

Other bands that may be less significant to metal's development, but are still worthy of praise, are Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks (first 2 albums), Descendants, Die Kreuzen, and Fear.

March 19, 2009, 12:57:47 PM
I'll do my best to try to correlate what I see are similarities between some hardcore bands and metal bands. (as an aside, I really liked Neurosis' "Pain of Mind", very under-appreciated hardcore album)

Agnostic Front definitely had an influence (Napalm Death covered them)

Cro-Mags (could be counted as thrash, depends on how one views it)

Infest and Siege (proto-grind)

Black Flag, who practically turned metal with their later material.

Void, a short lived hardcore band whose guitarist's riffing style is an interesting one for their time period, as his riffing calls to mind thrash and even a bit of death metal.

Swedish first wave hardcore bands, like Totalitar and Anti-Cimex, definitely in my view had a hand in helping out the soon-to-be-flowering death metal scene in their country.

Other bands that may be less significant to metal's development, but are still worthy of praise, are Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks (first 2 albums), Descendants, Die Kreuzen, and Fear.

Best post yet. I would like to add Discharge to this list. They had a HUGE influence on alot of the Thrash Metal bands of the early 80'es. Cro-Mags sure influenced alot of bands, but they came abit late. I don't think it was before the early 90'es that alot of Metal bands really started to notice them.

March 19, 2009, 07:50:47 PM
Discharge was mentioned in the original post, hence why I felt including them wouldve been redundant.