Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

PESTILENCE - Resurrection Macabre

March 19, 2009, 03:47:56 AM

Did you ever wonder what would happen if you streamlined the dry production of PESTILENCE's Testimony of the Ancients to meet modern standards, and kicked around substandard versions of some of the band's backcatalog riffs into mind-numbing ABABCAB cut-and-paste architecture?

No?

What if the illiterate jazz was jammed in every song in the form of the guitar solo?

To give you an idea how unfathomably unimaginative this album is, the vocals on the first two songs begin by repeating their respective, inane two-word titles immediately after the opening riff.  In fact, this happens on no fewer than five out of the eleven tracks on the album.  Nary a song passes without hammering the one- or two-word song title home as chorus in some manner; the bafflingly sophomoric lyricism is merely occasionally deferred.  The vocal delivery is so dispassionate that it persuades you they know exactly the kind of boilerplate tripe they are spewing.

Maybe even more convincingly braindead: they've introduced a sequel to a song in Dehydrated II (how does that happen a second time?).  They've cleverly lifted the opening riff from the original track and inverted the melody in order to buy themselves another three minutes (inverted old-timey riff, chorus riff, inverted old-timey riff...etc.)  Unfortunately, they've also revealed their entire comeback formula by failing to come up with only one more cliché title.  Just another testament to the pervasive laziness of this entire affair, and revealing of the pathetic scheme they are implementing in trying to sucker in the most ancient of the longtime fans.  Without that motive, it is nearly incomprehensible that a band would return from a giant sabbatical to cobble together this rubbish.  However, this is, after all, Patrick Mameli's brainchild: a mediocre death metal mind in the first place, a childish anti-genre bloviator when it suited him, and now a forty-something slave to misguided nostalgia and his lost young adulthood, seeking the meager attention of others like him, i.e. the old, bored and standardless.

I spent an agonizing ten minutes with this piece of abject trash and could not bring myself to endure a single complete track.  Thankfully, the three "bonus track" (oh boy!) re-recordings (of Martin van Drunen-led songs, of course) will be left forever off-limits to these ears because of it, lest the last of my youthful enthusiasm be dried up along with this terrible shell of a band. 

These "comebacks" are beyond pathetic and beyond insulting.

Re: PESTILENCE - Resurrection Macabre
March 19, 2009, 04:31:04 AM
It does seem that every act in Metal is bound and determined to embarrass themselves and their collective legacies by reforming to release material that is indeed even less inspired than some of the...er, shall we say "lesser" efforts they unbosomed before conceding it was in fact time to hang it up back then! It's terribly sad...but somewhat predictable. Once that bandwagon gets a-rollin'... 

March 19, 2009, 07:43:31 AM
and now a forty-something slave to misguided nostalgia and his lost young adulthood

Exactly.  Is this the kind of music he would have liked when he was younger?  Or would he have found it stupid and lame and pandering and yesterday's garbage?

It's funny with metal how when one is 16 or 17 they can make albums that are more brilliant that most adult trained musicains, yet when they get older they make weak albums that sound like children thought them up.

March 19, 2009, 10:43:38 AM
Good summary. Listening to the first 20 seconds is enough time to determine this album is garbage.

March 19, 2009, 07:49:49 PM
Given that other project he was involved in just 2 years ago (C-187), I didn't expect much from this record. I get the feeling that Mamelli is just in it to cash in on the name of Pestilence.

March 20, 2009, 09:08:26 PM
Prozak with more insight on resurrection failures:

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=85

March 21, 2009, 05:10:55 PM
Prozak with more insight on resurrection failures:

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=85

Actually, I stole your text for the Pestilence review, and just edited it a slight bit. It said it all. That album is a pile of dried-out turds taped together and run through a black box labeled METALLICA PRODUCTION.

March 24, 2009, 06:29:58 PM
Good review! I never expect much from bands that re-unite 15 years later. Those bands usually tend to release shit albums after they re-form. Pestilence's first 2 albums still reign supreme to this day.

March 24, 2009, 09:34:59 PM
This album was unnecessary. It wouldve been cool if Pestilence just started up again to tour (like Possessed), but this new album reeks of cash grab.

March 24, 2009, 10:58:30 PM
This album was unnecessary. It wouldve been cool if Pestilence just started up again to tour (like Possessed), but this new album reeks of cash grab.

My early prediction for the upcoming ASPHYX: competent, but an overpolished re-tread.  Seemingly unnecessary, without nearly the embarassment brought on by PESTILENCE's abortion.  Will place them in the SUFFOCATION league of reunited death metal.

How's that for safe?

March 25, 2009, 01:08:11 AM

My early prediction for the upcoming ASPHYX: competent, but an overpolished re-tread.  Seemingly unnecessary, without nearly the embarassment brought on by PESTILENCE's abortion.  Will place them in the SUFFOCATION league of reunited death metal.

How's that for safe?

Very safe bet indeed.

March 25, 2009, 04:55:41 AM

How's that for safe?

I'd say thats a fair guess. Though I think that Asphyx's new one will be a solid 70-75/100, I find it disheartening that this is what we have to look forward to. I hope the guys in Asphyx prove me wrong and release a stellar album.

March 25, 2009, 07:05:49 AM
It wouldve been cool if Pestilence just started up again to tour (like Possessed)

Ho ho! You really think so? http://www.anus.com/metal/about/shows/29jun2008/

March 25, 2009, 08:30:45 AM
It wouldve been cool if Pestilence just started up again to tour (like Possessed)

Ho ho! You really think so? http://www.anus.com/metal/about/shows/29jun2008/

I had missed that review...but I did catch the "Possesed" show in Brooklyn last summer and my opinion wasn't much different. I'll admit, it was very cool meeting Beccera and though it was clearly to be just "Jeff B. and Friends" from the start, for some reason it seemed like a decent idea in theory. But it was a different story altogether once their set got under way. I still give Beccera an "A" for effort given the circumstances. But this type of thing really does little in the way of re-capturing past glories as the above testified. To say the least...   

March 26, 2009, 12:07:00 AM
What did you expect?

Bands reunite because their other attempts failed. The band was their high point. So now like desperate addicts, they're going to trade on that name -- and in the process, destroy it.

Every band that has sold out or reunited has done this.

Sometimes, humans are just too stupid to even watch.