Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"Once upon a time in Norway" MAYHEM documentary

Thank you for posting this. So far it is very informative.

Decent documentary - gives a nice overview of the important events and their context. However I think the presentation contains some annoying anti-varg undertones. Also needs more Necrobutcher.

Yes, there was definitely anti-Varg messages. I can't blame them though. We will never know the full story of what happened that night, but I do think Varg was acting in self defense. There were various threats made to him....

Decent documentary - gives a nice overview of the important events and their context. However I think the presentation contains some annoying anti-varg undertones. Also needs more Necrobutcher.

We're talking about a group of people who were effectively childhood friends with Euronymous. OF COURSE they're going to be anti-Varg - they should be. Regardless of the reasons, he killed their friend.

Back in the 90's when they reunited Mayhem with the Maniac/Blasphemer-lineup they made a point of not having a problem with Varg, even signing to Misanthropy Records. Hellhammer stated many times he did not care about the death of Euronymous. This was probably also because they wanted to get rid of the impression that Euronymous was Mayhem, even if he sort of was. Remember also that "anti-Varg" was the norm in mid-90's, only later was his reputation somewhat improved again. He started gaining sympathy because it was found that his ideals of cultural revival, traditionalism etc. even while presented in rather outlandish statements sometimes, were more realistic than the "Devil worship", suffering, brain-eating mania of the ultra-satanists. Even Faust who had vowed revenge, stated later that he doesn't have an issue with Varg.

One things is for sure, i can't wait to hear Varg's future releases if there are any.

Back in the 90's when they reunited Mayhem with the Maniac/Blasphemer-lineup they made a point of not having a problem with Varg, even signing to Misanthropy Records. Hellhammer stated many times he did not care about the death of Euronymous. This was probably also because they wanted to get rid of the impression that Euronymous was Mayhem, even if he sort of was. Remember also that "anti-Varg" was the norm in mid-90's, only later was his reputation somewhat improved again. He started gaining sympathy because it was found that his ideals of cultural revival, traditionalism etc. even while presented in rather outlandish statements sometimes, were more realistic than the "Devil worship", suffering, brain-eating mania of the ultra-satanists. Even Faust who had vowed revenge, stated later that he doesn't have an issue with Varg.

So how does any of that apply to Anders Odden or Manheim?

It was also the presentation itself- the editor of the documentary who seemed to harbor anti-Varg sentiments. Not only was Varg's story brushed aside (the part about the plan to kill him and video tape it) but he was made to look like a liar (when the words showed his statement and the detective's findings) and the sole reason for the fall of Black Metal.

NHA

I think the whole thing paints a pretty poor picture of the people involved in general heh.

Drop the IQ of everyone involved by 40 points and you've got the making of gangster rap, i.e., marginalized children with no power trying to prove to everyone what a badass they are.

So how does any of that apply to Anders Odden or Manheim?

Just a wild guess: they have a political problem with Varg. And if Mayhem people say exactly the same (or worse) racist statements, the excuse is "yeah but I know those guys, they're just drunk etc etc but Varg, he's really evil".