Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Drop the Ego, Lift the Sword

Drop the Ego, Lift the Sword
April 13, 2009, 05:45:25 AM
From a letter written to a woman I know:

This might be a HUGE turn off (in multiple ways), but I've only completed one year of course work over the last three years... an explanation (please don't view as bragging): I was always the kid / guy to only have to speed read through parts of the textbooks once, easily ace tests and essays, but rarely turn his assignments in on time, if ever. While others were spacing out / diligently taking notes, I was busy contemplating the psychology behind the professor's teaching methods. I was the kid / guy who'd stay after class, even in private offices, to discuss abstract theories... but do poorly on meeting the course requirements. I've never thought of myself as "smarter than thou" (I actually have a lot of rather foolish friends), but moreso had a "don't tell me what to do" attitude.

Consequently I've pissed off every professor I've had. Well, the situation now is that, after a lot of long nights, I've grown out of being so damn unaccountable and frivolous. I haven't "caved in" to society, rather, I don't "live with my hair on fire" any more and am cultivating a much more balanced, middle-path approach to life. For how "open minded" I once thought I was, I've truly let go and opened up to what others tell me, and ironically feel more confident and in control. I feel lucky -- nay, BLESSED -- for the overall experience and for my decision to grow the fuck up.

This is plain silly happening at 19, 20 years of age, but if you're in the same camp, heed my lesson.

You'll thank yourself 3 years from now.

Re: Drop the Ego, Lift the Sword
April 14, 2009, 11:04:55 PM
"Blessed is the man on whose tombstone is written: Hic Jacit Nemo [Here Lies no one]"
-Ananda K. Coomaraswamy (Hinduism and Buddhism)

April 15, 2009, 11:53:21 AM
"Blessed is the man on whose tombstone is written: Hic Jacit Nemo [Here Lies no one]"
-Ananda K. Coomaraswamy (Hinduism and Buddhism)

Why would you cite a name with that quote?

April 16, 2009, 02:14:54 PM
Good question.

Probably to show that I've not made it up.

April 20, 2009, 12:06:17 PM
So are you saying: end the burning, destructive fire of your ego (hence the title of the thread) get with the program, conform, try and fit in and do what everyone else is doing?

April 20, 2009, 12:36:30 PM
Don't stumble over your ego, or the personality of others. It doesn't mean you have to be a drone. In fact, drones are bootlickers, and bootlickers tend to take the personality too serious.

April 20, 2009, 04:05:34 PM
it doesn't mean "conform," necessarily.  It does mean "get with the program," to an extent.  I say, simply:  pick and choose your battles wisely.  Don't waste time and energy on EVERY "battle."

April 20, 2009, 09:19:03 PM
So are you saying: end the burning, destructive fire of your ego (hence the title of the thread) get with the program, conform, try and fit in and do what everyone else is doing?

Of course not.

What I was saying: Direct your fiery energy (ego, etc.) toward a goal higher than yourself.

This doesn't mean a higher authority, government, or person.

It means avoiding distraction and depression, and realizing that there are people out there that could very well benefit from your intelligence and discernment if only you applied and integrated yourself into society in some way.

If that's too "humanist", then one could say there is a universe out there that could benefit.

The 101 version of this lesson would be to watch Disney's The Lion King.

April 20, 2009, 11:52:27 PM
He's suggesting one's goals (and, thus, actions) be determined by the intrinsic values of what he wants to accomplish, as opposed to how well they bolster his reputation. To focus on your actions, not your-self.

April 23, 2009, 08:15:50 AM
If that's too "humanist", then one could say there is a universe out there that could benefit.

How exactly does my performance on college coursework significantly benefit the universe as a whole in the long term, or anyone besides myself?

April 23, 2009, 09:38:33 PM
Quote from: ForgottenLore
How exactly does my performance on college coursework significantly benefit the universe as a whole in the long term, or anyone besides myself?

It doesn't. Any one can pass college courses these days. It is, however, something (usually) required on the path to a influential position in society. You know, "credentials"? That wasn't my original point anyway ("d0 gud in sk00l!" is moronic and pointless, indeed), though I do see now how readers here may have been confused.

I simply meant that, when we're ready, we shouldn't be afraid to spend more time accomplishing goals and integrating ourselves into society. This is what separates the intelligent who have visions of a better society and world from the marginally smarter with no goal other than feeding their self-image.

April 24, 2009, 05:51:53 AM

How exactly is your-self not a part of the universe?

April 25, 2009, 02:03:27 AM

How exactly is your-self not a part of the universe?

In his defense, it could be that whatever effect he has on the universe is insubstantial and so essentially negligible.  However, I still agree with you in principle.

April 25, 2009, 03:57:29 AM
Quote from: JewBob
In his defense, it could be that whatever effect he has on the universe is insubstantial and so essentially negligible.

Frodo: I know what I must do, it's just that... I'm afraid to do it.
Galadriel: Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

April 25, 2009, 06:18:33 AM
Broaden your scope enough, and even galaxies become insubstantial and negligible.