Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Later Incantation

Nile577

Later Incantation
April 18, 2009, 04:41:14 PM
Primordial Domination seems to me to be their poorest album. I enjoy the intro and its nod to Hell Awaits but a lot of the tracks drag on and the slower riffs don't have the evocative power the band hopes for. This seems to be one of the problems with later Incantation although it was masked on Blasphemy by some strong tracks. I find it a bit cringeworthy in places; almost like watching someone who thinks they are being really funny and laughing out loud at their own jokes while others just stare.

Blasphemy is an underrated album and has a version of the fast riff --> same riff played slower technique on Crown of Decayed Salvation that mostly works well though sounds a bit forced. A Once Holy Throne is a classy slower/doomy track on that record although the title sounds like my bathroom pre-curry.

Diabolical Conquest is still this band's best album in my view. Onward is classic and I don't understand the dislike here of Mortal Throne (perhaps my latent Englishness is excited by the conceptual silliness about indulgence and orgies).

Re: Later Incantation
May 04, 2009, 05:24:46 PM
Why did this user get deleted or delete himself?

May 06, 2009, 02:38:23 AM
Why did this user get deleted or delete himself?

We didn't delete him.

May 12, 2009, 04:30:01 AM
Did Nile577 flake out and delete himself because he was afraid of being seen with us uncool types?

I guess this happens every week around here.

May 13, 2009, 06:41:04 PM
Nah, I had to change my account.

And you guys should be talking about later Incantation, not me, reality denying, obfuscatory, liberal poetry-reading wretch that I am.

May 14, 2009, 03:35:13 AM
Well, as far as weakest goes, I would have to give the nod to "The Infernal Storm" honestly - but Incantation is one of the bands whose releases are always enjoyable to me on some level, regardless. I do love the drum sound on "Primordial...," though I can't really argue with most of the points made in the OP. 

October 07, 2010, 05:34:49 PM
Blasphemy always seemed like their lowpoint to me, however it has been several years since I heard it. It felt like they kind of defaulted to autopilot. Like Heydrich, I enjoy most of their albums. Incantation have both the luxury of a supreme level of commitment to the true spirit of Death Metal, and the fact they play a style that I am rather partial too. Diabolical Conquest is a crown jewel of the entire metal genre. Scapegoat, the latest EP, is yet another victory in the name of Death Metal. It is much like their last album as it originated during the same recording sessions. It is characterized as outtakes, but "Sacrificial Sanctification" would probably be the best singular song on Primordial Domination, if included.

Death Metal is an extremely hard style to maintain consistency in, so even flawed Incantation, when graded against the work of their peers, shines powers above most. Flawed Incantation is only flawed compared to the best Incantation. Listen to Heretic, Insineratehymn and then Decimate Christendom. The disparity isn't even close. It is no coincidence that the rise of the true spirit of Death Metal largely resides in Incantatiophiles(Dead Congregation, Vasaeleth, Father Befouled) or bands directly connected to Incantation themselves(Profanatica, Goreaphobia, Disma) over the last three years.

October 07, 2010, 10:24:57 PM
Scapegoat, the latest EP, is yet another victory in the name of Death Metal. It is much like their last album as it originated during the same recording sessions. It is characterized as outtakes, but "Sacrificial Sanctification" would probably be the best singular song on Primordial Domination, if included.

That song totally rips off the riff from "Scum" :)

But I really did enjoy that EP as well. A good 2 song burst of fiery creativity. Maybe Incantation should release less material, because those 2 songs are the best they've done in years.

October 07, 2010, 10:35:29 PM
Correction, best they have done in 4 years. They were just outtakes re-recoded from the last album. I think we will see allot of much smaller releases from them in the future, witch is far better then a full length of filler material. Like allot of the 90's bands they are running out of directions to explore.

October 07, 2010, 11:47:18 PM
Correction, best they have done in 4 years. They were just outtakes re-recoded from the last album. I think we will see allot of much smaller releases from them in the future, witch is far better then a full length of filler material. Like allot of the 90's bands they are running out of directions to explore.

Most of those bands ran out of ideas by 95 or their third album. Incantation already suffered through that and refocused, probably a couple of times. John McEntee is a cut above most of the washed-up-by-26-years-old metal project leaders. I've heard all I'll ever need to hear about Varg's genius. It's time we honored bands who didn't delay their ultimate demise by hiding from guitars or going to jail.

October 08, 2010, 03:37:21 AM
Scapegoat, the latest EP, is yet another victory in the name of Death Metal. It is much like their last album as it originated during the same recording sessions. It is characterized as outtakes, but "Sacrificial Sanctification" would probably be the best singular song on Primordial Domination, if included.

That song totally rips off the riff from "Scum" :)

But I really did enjoy that EP as well. A good 2 song burst of fiery creativity. Maybe Incantation should release less material, because those 2 songs are the best they've done in years.

I knew I had heard that riff from somewhere. I have considered they should stick to shorter releases, focusing just on their best ideas.