Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Refreshing Metal Albums

Refreshing Metal Albums
May 12, 2009, 03:14:11 AM
Thanks to the DLA / ANUS, I've recently discovered Dismember (yeah, yeah, settle down, I'm not a veteran yet) and their album Like an Ever Flowing Stream. This has me wanting to kick ass in the name of reality like never before.

Now, to make this less less of a fan boi exclamation thread and more of something useful, what albums have reignited your taste for quality metal? Let the list begin.

Re: Refreshing Metal Albums
May 13, 2009, 04:04:05 PM
For me, it's been:

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism along with their "Immortal" EP ('91)

not exactly an obscure pick, but everytime I return to it (as I have recently), it is definitely "refreshing."

Most recently:

Adramelech - Pure Blood Doom

Good pull.  Pure Blood Doom, and Adramelech, in general, is often overlooked.  Their work prior to PBD is good, too - Psychostasia, The Fall, etc.  I think I'll listen to some Adramelech today - it's been a while and it should be refreshing.

May 13, 2009, 05:30:55 PM
Legion, Nespithe, North From Here, Blessed Are The Sick, and of course, To The Depths...In Degradation.

May 13, 2009, 08:08:49 PM
The latest Profanatica reignited my taste, only to have no quality follow-ups to seek my teeth into. The new Beherit is very welcome, but didn't make as strong an impact.

My roadmap of discoveries:

(12 years ago) Emperor. Burzum. Celtic Frost. Dismember. Sinister. Darkthrone. Immortal. Gorguts. Suffocation. Gorgoroth. Graveland. Bathory. Beherit. Deicide. Morbid Angel. Sacramentum. At the Gates. (8 years ago; now utterly disillusioned with the rock aspect of metal, many albums were sold) Necrophobic. Incantation. Sepultura. Unleashed. Sentenced. Obituary. (5 years ago) Massacra. Asphyx. Adramelech. (2 years ago) Profanatica.

\m/

May 13, 2009, 08:18:42 PM
Minas Morgul, Ugra Karma, Descend Into The Absurd, and Beg to Differ.

May 13, 2009, 08:55:54 PM
Lately I have been "refreshed" by

Cannibal Corpse - Kill
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Deathspell Omega - Si Momumentum
Suffocation - Pierced From Within

May 14, 2009, 03:45:28 AM
I lost, fried and/or misplaced many of my cassettes and records from the old days during multiple moves, and the jump to CD and now download formats over the years .Thus, there is much from the "good old days" I haven't heard in ages, or only recently(re) discovered. 

The recent re-release of Autopsy's "Severed Survival" has proven a huge and timely refresher! 

May 15, 2009, 03:25:18 AM

Cannibal Corpse - Kill

Honestly, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but could you explain what you find appealing with this release? Or for that matter, anything by this band after 1994? I'll admit, there are a few early songs by them that I don't find too bad. Nothing spectacular, but tolerable.

For the life of me, I dont know what anyone sees in this band anymore. You could make the same argument for a band like Unleashed, but at least they seem to be returning to a better quality with their last two albums.

May 15, 2009, 05:14:58 AM
MERCILESS - Unbound

May 15, 2009, 05:49:38 AM

Cannibal Corpse - Kill

Honestly, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but could you explain what you find appealing with this release? Or for that matter, anything by this band after 1994? I'll admit, there are a few early songs by them that I don't find too bad. Nothing spectacular, but tolerable.

For the life of me, I dont know what anyone sees in this band anymore. You could make the same argument for a band like Unleashed, but at least they seem to be returning to a better quality with their last two albums.

In fact, "Bloodthirst" is one of the best albums by them I've heard. Surprisingly, Metal-Archives people seem to agree. It's like Malevolent Creation-lite or something. They weren't trying to be headbangable, but made full use of Alex Webster's sub-Sadus basslines.

May 15, 2009, 01:55:17 PM
MERCILESS - Unbound

I've been spinning this one a lot lately.  More conventionally "Swedish" than their earlier albums, but still amazing.  How did this band not end up with the kind of profile enjoyed by Dismember et al.? 

May 15, 2009, 04:01:56 PM
BEHERIT- Engram

May 15, 2009, 04:03:46 PM
MERCILESS - Unbound

Cool!  I didn't even know about this one.  All I've listened to by Merciless is The Awakening

May 15, 2009, 04:54:30 PM
MERCILESS - Unbound

I've been spinning this one a lot lately.  More conventionally "Swedish" than their earlier albums, but still amazing.  How did this band not end up with the kind of profile enjoyed by Dismember et al.? 

Just a guess: bad luck with label and promotion. Compare that Dismember was on Nuclear Blast, Entombed on Earache... Merciless' debut was on Deathlike Silence and 2nd album on Active Records, neither one's releases are exactly known for their availability and presence. But again, which is cause and which is effect? Why weren't they popular enough in the underground to end up on NB or Earache in the first place?