Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Refreshing Metal Albums

Re: Refreshing Metal Albums
September 29, 2009, 11:58:42 PM
Bolt Thrower - For Victory.

This album is amazing and really doesn't get the attention it deserves. Near perfection in composition and idea.

It feels conceptual.  I like it much better than The IVth Crusade.

November 20, 2009, 12:49:33 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Far away from the Sun. That album reignites passion and makes for a totally exceptional listening experience.

November 20, 2009, 01:27:23 AM
I recently started listening to:

Sigh - Scorn Defeat

To me this feels completely different to the whole Western (mainly thinking of Norway) take on good & evil, dark & light, life & death. Darkness is still apart of this album, of course. But it's not a direct reflection of it. I like the threatening, occultist vibe (sort of reminds of Necromantia, a little). Someone once described this album as representing the Great Wheel of Karma (in the Asian sense, not the Western "OMG you did bad things to me, they'll come back to haunt you sense").

November 20, 2009, 02:15:44 AM
I recently started listening to:

Sigh - Scorn Defeat

To me this feels completely different to the whole Western (mainly thinking of Norway) take on good & evil, dark & light, life & death. Darkness is still apart of this album, of course. But it's not a direct reflection of it. I like the threatening, occultist vibe (sort of reminds of Necromantia, a little). Someone once described this album as representing the Great Wheel of Karma (in the Asian sense, not the Western "OMG you did bad things to me, they'll come back to haunt you sense").

For some reason I could never get into this band. But, I also have not heard this album you have mentioned. Wasn't this released on Deathlike Silence originally?

Nevertheless, I'll check this out.

November 20, 2009, 02:26:18 AM
Wasn't this released on Deathlike Silence originally?

I haven't heard the album either, but I can confirm that this is true. (http://www.deathmetal.org/death_metal/images/zine21.jpg)

Let me know what you think of it.

November 20, 2009, 06:02:52 AM
I agree with the altars of madness statement. I recently went on a 3 month kick where i listened to this album almost everyday. My obssessive quest for more quality metal simply required that i move to new realms,we will see how long i can go without listening, hahaha. Nonetheless:

Recently i have been checking out-

Slayer- South of Heaven
Stargazer-The scream that tore the sky
Death- Scream Bloody Gore- Thanks to the DLA sadistic review a while back i revisited this album, and i am amazed at the sheer energy of it.

Some Oldies in their, but definetely all refeshing

November 29, 2009, 09:24:13 AM
Therion - Ho Drakon Ho Megas.

I had always misidentified this album as part of Therion's newer style, but the Necrolord artwork and $3.99 used store price tag convinced me to give it a spin and I'm glad I did. Add this to the list of Celtic Frost-influenced albums that are better than anything Celtic Frost actually did.

December 07, 2009, 09:57:27 PM
Panzerchrist - Soul Collector

has been my favourite for ages. rather a short album, but always invigorating.

December 08, 2009, 02:26:18 AM
Panzerchrist - Soul Collector

Downloading now. I hear good things about these dudes.

December 08, 2009, 02:59:23 AM
Let me know what you think of it.

Well, I have to say, I don't think Sigh is my style. "Scorn Defeat" does well at what it aims for, namely a cryptic, morbid atmosphere with some influences from Asiatic folk music interspersed with black metal and some speed metal influence. But really, it just sounds kind of goofy to me. I appreciate it, but I don't think I'll be listening to it very often.

December 08, 2009, 03:30:51 AM
Thousand Swords is still probably my favorite Graveland album, but Following the Voice of Blood is definitely coming close to usurping its position. One thing I really love about that album are the little synthesizer interludes: probably some of the best keyboard work Darken has done.

Avulsion's Indoctrination into the Cult of Death is a record that scratches the same itch that Blaspherian does: oldschool without being "retro". It's a very dark album that melds together the slow parts of early Carcass, spooky Finnish stuff like Demigod, and the doomier side of NYDM and Swedish death metal. The atmosphere it exudes is comparable to that of the first Demoncy album, which makes sense, seeing as the band features members of Demoncy.

The drumming on Thousand Swords alone is worth the listen. It's rare to find drumming that inspiring and alive.

December 08, 2009, 03:56:16 AM
Gorguts' Obscura is always a great listen. I never grow tired of it. I honestly cannot find a single flaw with this album. (Unless you dont like the vocals.)

December 09, 2009, 05:55:45 AM
HELSTAR - Nosferatu

I found this band on the DLA, and I must say after several listens I really like it.  If anyone knows, are any of their other albums worth a listen?

December 09, 2009, 08:56:29 AM
HELSTAR - Nosferatu

I found this band on the DLA, and I must say after several listens I really like it.  If anyone knows, are any of their other albums worth a listen?

I strongly recommend the "Remnants of War" and "A Distant Thunder" albums if you have any taste for 80's Metal Blade style US power metal. My favorite song by them is the epic "Winds of War" off the latter album and the former is maybe the most consistently headbangable and memorable. Don't expect quite the technical finesse of "Nosferatu" though. The demos they recorded after "Nosferatu" before splitting up are available as "The James Rivera Legacy" compilation which understandably doesn't work as an album but there are interesting ideas.

December 09, 2009, 10:07:36 AM
HELSTAR - Nosferatu

I strongly recommend the "Remnants of War" and "A Distant Thunder" albums if you have any taste for 80's Metal Blade style US power metal. My favorite song by them is the epic "Winds of War" off the latter album and the former is maybe the most consistently headbangable and memorable. Don't expect quite the technical finesse of "Nosferatu" though. The demos they recorded after "Nosferatu" before splitting up are available as "The James Rivera Legacy" compilation which understandably doesn't work as an album but there are interesting ideas.

Remnants Of War and A Distant Thunder are both very good. They are still developing their baroque style finalized on Nosferatu but the guitarists are very skilful as the solos demonstrate. These albums are one of the first examples of a successful synthesis of the European fantasy-based metal (Helloween, Malmsteen) and more aggressive US metal such as Jag Panzer.