Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Enjoy the Massacra

Enjoy the Massacra
May 16, 2009, 10:18:44 AM
This band gets almost zero recognition outside the DLA. This makes no sense at all - their first three contain some extremely thrilling metal, certainly at the peak of death metal. To my knowledge there wasn't any band out there like this, probably because it's almost impossible to replicate stuff like this. They made songs in the same way I would envision someone putting together bits of shrapnel to create masterpieces of art. My favorite is Enjoy The Violence but only by a small margin. The variety of technique, skill in riff manipulation and songcraft found here is so high that there is not a moment of boredom during the whole thing. Songs are profound in what they express but are still extremely direct and to the point leaving no absolutely fat to be trimmed. It's also got the ideal death metal production. This band is the essence of death metal - violent ecstasy. Proclaim your love for Massacra.

Re: Enjoy the Massacra
May 16, 2009, 04:23:14 PM
This band is the essence of death metal - violent ecstasy.

Well said.  It is really bizarre how unrecognized this band is, like you said.  I'm more of Final Holocaust guy, though.

May 16, 2009, 06:04:44 PM
Final Holocaust is one of the (very) few Death Metal albums which I truly love.  It's a fantastic piece of work.

March 10, 2010, 05:55:54 PM
Final Holocaust and Enjoy the Violence are death metal's best albums, period (1 and 2 respectively all time) while the third, albeit much more normed and dumbed-down, is still listenable percussive speed metal in the veins of Beneath the Remains. The OP described their music very articulately I think, well said. This band made some of the best contributions to metal and it's a travesty that they're hardly ever discussed (this forum included).

I've also noticed that quite recently Massacra tends to get a lot of shit-slinging specifically from hipsters and those butthurt from ANUS' existence. It's almost like the reverse Death syndrome except well, the mouth-breathers are caught impotent when confronted with actual content at hand.   

March 10, 2010, 06:34:48 PM
To my knowledge there wasn't any band out there like this, probably because it's almost impossible to replicate stuff like this.
I agree, but that has driven me to see if there is indeed anything similar - in certain portions of style if not necessarily in quality. The only comparable things I've found are Pentagram(the Chilean one, obviously), Pestilence's Malleus Maleficarum, Merciless' The Awakening, and Adramelech's Psychostasia.

My favorite is Enjoy The Violence but only by a small margin. The variety of technique, skill in riff manipulation and songcraft found here is so high that there is not a moment of boredom during the whole thing.
I'd listened to Final Holocaust almost every day for nearly a year just because of how intense it was. The only problem I ever found with the album is that most of the songs go on too long for the content they have, so there's too much revisitation of initial themes in places where a new melodic direction would have been appreciated. "Nearer to Death" and the title track are both good examples. There are even some songs from the album that were more varied in studio/rehearsal versions, so I'm at a loss as to why they simplified them. Enjoy the Violence corrects this, but goes overboard by using two approaches at once - it both shortens the songs AND makes them a lot more dynamic. The end result, though still excellent, feels a bit too rushing and jittery. But then again, this works for the band's particular musical approach. I'd say Final Holocaust's content is (ever so slightly) better, but there's just not as much of it. I haven't heard Signs of the Decline yet.

March 10, 2010, 07:44:06 PM
The closest thing I've heard to Massacra's first two albums would be Mortuary's (MEX) "Blackened Images."

It's much sloppier and less developed than Massacra but still has that same violence to it.

That said, "Final Holocaust" is A-tier death metal, for sure.

March 11, 2010, 01:41:53 AM
I don't mean to contribute to a divergent topic too much, but I was listening to Atomic Aggressor's "Bloody Ceremonial" demo prior to reading this and immediately recalled the "violent ecstasy" of Massacra. I'll be checking out more of their works, but I'll recommend this to any of you interested in Massacra-like death metal.

Anyways, yes, hail the Massacra!

March 11, 2010, 01:48:16 AM
I've also noticed that quite recently Massacra tends to get a lot of shit-slinging specifically from hipsters and those butthurt from ANUS' existence. It's almost like the reverse Death syndrome except well, the mouth-breathers are caught impotent when confronted with actual content at hand.   
Got any evidence of this?

I read quite a few forums, and I've never seen this. I have, on the other hand, seen some praise for the album on the times that it gets mentioned, which is admittedly not too much.

March 11, 2010, 02:54:21 AM
Got any evidence of this?

rateyourmusic.com and metal-rules forums are two examples. not that it's important or anything, i just find it amusing that morons (who probably didn't even listen to the band) hate Massacra simply because Final Holocaust is on DLA's best-of list.

March 11, 2010, 05:01:57 PM
Massacra, Master, Bathory and Hellhammer are always going to be less recognized because many people want a simple narrative with a hero. Chuck and Death fit that narrative.

Even more, early Sepultura has always been ignored in favor of Possessed. And whither Necrovore? Well, they did kind of fuck it up by not releasing any official material except one scratchy demo.

But let's face it: people like to ignore death metal history in favor of easy "truths."

March 14, 2010, 01:49:32 AM
Interesting.  Perhaps the music of Massacra holds the key to synthesizing a hipster antidote.

I can't make up my mind over which album is better, Final Holocaust or Enjoy the Violence.  I'm not sure I consider them the greatest death metal albums though.  I think Blessed are the Sick, Legion, and Obscura, at the very least, give them a good run for their money.

March 14, 2010, 04:22:38 AM
Massacra, Master, Bathory and Hellhammer are always going to be less recognized because many people want a simple narrative with a hero. Chuck and Death fit that narrative.

Even more, early Sepultura has always been ignored in favor of Possessed. And whither Necrovore? Well, they did kind of fuck it up by not releasing any official material except one scratchy demo.

But let's face it: people like to ignore death metal history in favor of easy "truths."

Whichever music is the easiest to digest on their level and is popular, gets those hipsters by just fine.

I really don't think most people can tolerate anything that exceeds out of range what they are accustomed to hearing in music, their attention spans cannot handle it and probably never will for that matter.

March 29, 2010, 04:48:48 PM
I really don't think most people can tolerate anything that exceeds out of range what they are accustomed to hearing in music, their attention spans cannot handle it and probably never will for that matter.

I agree. It's why in a record store full of hipster bands and pop-culture travesties, the Beethoven and early Slayer are always safe.