Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Slayer - Psychopathy Red

Slayer - Psychopathy Red
May 16, 2009, 04:56:10 PM
Slayer - Psychopathy Red

Two fast riffs that approximate the Seasons in the Abyss era, one a pull off and the other a fast tremolo two-way shift, comprise this song although with two transition, a bass/drum rhythmic transfer and a prog-rock style abrupt shift to an open chord during a solo. Soloing is more "educated" than older Slayer but less interesting, because it becomes less about forming a pattern and more about finding a way to connect licks and scales. However, energy is good and riff quality is good, so I celebrate the development of a new, simpler, but less nu-metal form for Slayer.

Basically, it's a better direction for them: they kept the simple, and dropped the bounce.Check out the song above. The video is the classic "God listens to Slayer" image and should not interrupt your listening.

Re: Slayer - Psychopathy Red
May 16, 2009, 05:58:26 PM
Reminds me a little of Massacra, without the genius, or Merciless. I like it.

May 16, 2009, 06:05:09 PM
This is so much better than anything they've put out in the last decade or so.

Very refreshing, even if it's not particularly groundbreaking or spectacular.

May 17, 2009, 04:55:16 PM
Its not bad at all, but does anyone else think that Tom's vocals get really, REALLY annoying at the end of the song? Hes really showing his age, and it sounds like hes straining his voice.

May 17, 2009, 05:27:06 PM
Its not bad at all, but does anyone else think that Tom's vocals get really, REALLY annoying at the end of the song? Hes really showing his age, and it sounds like hes straining his voice.

I noticed that too, sounds EXTREMELY strained. Isn't Slayer making one last album and then quitting?

May 18, 2009, 12:50:04 AM
I must third that strained vocal delivery...and it gets annoying for me well before the end! Still, musically it is at least better than anything I've heard from these guys in a loooooong time.

May 18, 2009, 07:07:01 AM
Personally I have found Tom's vocals annoying and straining for  18 years. He always sounded better when he tried to sing, rather go the sqawking screamo punk route.
He sounded great in the early days.
The riffs sound alright though, very standard Slayer.
Maybe they are running out of steam in al departments (Except drums cos Dave is a robot).
Nothing left now perhaps but old men's anger at the world in general. So maybe songs about annoying young people and food prices etc are to follow.

May 18, 2009, 07:35:50 AM
Maybe they are running out of steam in al departments (Except drums cos Dave is a robot).

Ah, but is that a good thing anymore? The drums there are pretty one-dimensional to say the least. Lombardo was a phenom in his day, but that was two decades ago.

May 18, 2009, 10:21:17 PM
I must third that strained vocal delivery...and it gets annoying for me well before the end! Still, musically it is at least better than anything I've heard from these guys in a loooooong time.

I think the fact that Tom is totally going for broke even if he's straining adds a fire and legitmacy to it that was missing from more recent releases- it captures the punk underpinnings where the vocalist just screams his head off regardless of the damage.

May 18, 2009, 11:04:24 PM

I think the fact that Tom is totally going for broke even if he's straining adds a fire and legitmacy to it that was missing from more recent releases- it captures the punk underpinnings where the vocalist just screams his head off regardless of the damage.

I can see where youre coming from, but it sounds more like someone dropping a radiator on his foot than screaming aggression.

May 19, 2009, 12:34:04 AM

I can see where youre coming from, but it sounds more like someone dropping a radiator on his foot than screaming aggression.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. Moreover, it seems pretty clear Herr Araya - the Catholic family man Tom Araya -  is not exactly an individual seething with legitimate rage and barely contained venoml! Again, to re-emphasize - it's still more interesting than anything I've heard from the Slayer camp in ages, for what that's worth.     

May 19, 2009, 10:47:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRPsuydDH8&feature=related

According to Araya, at 1:10...

Oh god no.

May 24, 2009, 05:42:05 PM
Moreover, it seems pretty clear Herr Araya - the Catholic family man Tom Araya -  is not exactly an individual seething with legitimate rage and barely contained venoml

It seems to me the best artists are controlled people who form a logical outlook on life, then give it an emotional spin. We the listeners/readers work backward from that, so we assume they have an emotional drive. It may not be so.

They also tend to make art they want to read, hear or see.

June 03, 2009, 05:37:12 AM
Moreover, it seems pretty clear Herr Araya - the Catholic family man Tom Araya -  is not exactly an individual seething with legitimate rage and barely contained venoml

It seems to me the best artists are controlled people who form a logical outlook on life, then give it an emotional spin. We the listeners/readers work backward from that, so we assume they have an emotional drive. It may not be so.

Logic doesn't precede emotion or vice-versa. Your statement is incomprehensible. Sorry. Wanna talk smart, ya kinda have to be so in order to do so. 

June 03, 2009, 07:30:13 PM

Logic doesn't precede emotion or vice-versa. Your statement is incomprehensible. Sorry. Wanna talk smart, ya kinda have to be so in order to do so. 

Yes, and the name Queefinator implies a studied foundation in metaphysics.