Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Is Black Metal Superior to Death Metal?

Re: Is Black Metal Superior to Death Metal?
October 02, 2009, 11:10:19 PM
Death Metal - Only death is real

Black Metal - Life is but a dream
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

October 03, 2009, 10:08:04 AM
How "Only Death is Real" is materialistic?
Master of broken english!

October 03, 2009, 01:48:03 PM
How "Only Death is Real" is materialistic?

I think you're confusing materialism with "I want stuff" and, in the context of that post, "the philosophical theory that regards matter and its motions as constituting the universe, and all phenomena, including those of mind, as due to material agencies."

October 05, 2009, 12:27:51 PM
I'm not sure there's really a dichotomy, let me explain.  Both death and black metal intend to structure sound in such a way that it directs the listener towards a state of transcendent awareness, they only differ in method.  Perhaps the black metal method is more effective, but in the final analysis I doubt that there is any reason why the technique employed by death metal cannot reach its goals, even if it hasn't done so yet.  Albums like Obscura and Nespithe at least reveal the potential of death metal to reach the level of Burzum.

October 05, 2009, 02:32:22 PM
Death metal is the denail of truth and value other than death, and black metal is the re-affirmation of anceint values in a modern context. On the whole this is the case. However, some black metal simply denies values, and some death metal has reached the heights of black in replacing modern values with alternatives. They are two ways of reaching the same goals.
In a state of permanent Abyss

October 08, 2009, 12:12:33 AM
Death metal is the denail of truth and value other than death, and black metal is the re-affirmation of anceint values in a modern context. On the whole this is the case. However, some black metal simply denies values, and some death metal has reached the heights of black in replacing modern values with alternatives. They are two ways of reaching the same goals.

What you have outlined here are two philosophical positions which complement eachother.  We have nihilism, which cuts away illusions, and integralism, in which values are made to conform to experience.  This is the difference bewtween first and second tier metal, not between two genres.

October 08, 2009, 05:35:25 PM
In that case there is no superiority between the two genres. Only that death metal came before and paved the way for the philosophy of black metal. Bt if you look at many post 1990 death metal and black metal releases respectively they have the same philosophical intention behind them. It simply due to death metal coming first andpaving the way that one would think of bm being superior to dm.
In a state of permanent Abyss

October 14, 2009, 06:57:11 AM
Death metal at its full potential seems to be in jazz theory, case in point Soulside Journey, Obscura, and early Atheist. This gives full range of dynamic motion like black metal but in jazz is unordered, chaotic yet uniquely connected. This is much different than the classically based grand storytelling of black metal which is ultimate clarity of unifying concept. While black metal is heroically transcendent, death metal is less austere and more indulgent to the senses.

October 16, 2009, 08:04:10 PM
you can't really put a rating on genres whether it is better than another. as long as there is effort and sincerity put into the music, it all comes down to personal opinion. 

yeah..i totally agree..it's an opinion..what one hates might be very inspiring for another..i love both death and black metal...both have raw energy...just pouring differently..as Trey Azagtoth says..it's pure lava!!

so the question of superiority is personal...i believe both genres are amazing..very underrated i have to say..but amazing!!!

October 19, 2009, 02:22:49 PM
I have another question: Is metal objectively superior as a genre? I'm sure that metal is the best genre, but I don't think I could explain why objectively.

October 19, 2009, 07:02:41 PM
It has more of a point to it than most other bands of all other genres of (modern) music.

October 21, 2009, 08:44:16 AM
I have another question: Is metal objectively superior as a genre? I'm sure that metal is the best genre, but I don't think I could explain why objectively.

We can't really evaluate the quality of a genre because within every genre there will be variation in quality.  I suppose when anus.com uses the term metal broadly it refers primarily to the fundamental spiritual impulse which created metal and the bands that were true to that spirit, everything else is dead weight.

October 21, 2009, 01:58:57 PM

We can't really evaluate the quality of a genre because within every genre there will be variation in quality.  I suppose when anus.com uses the term metal broadly it refers primarily to the fundamental spiritual impulse which created metal and the bands that were true to that spirit, everything else is dead weight.
Maybe a better question would be "why/how is it that the best music has come from within the metal genre?"

October 21, 2009, 02:31:34 PM
I suppose when anus.com uses the term metal broadly it refers primarily to the fundamental spiritual impulse which created metal and the bands that were true to that spirit, everything else is dead weight.

Yes -- that and the proven "best of" to which this site is dedicated.

Any idiot can record a cow farting and call it death metal. We're interested in the innovators and high-quality creators.