Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Can Christians Create Quality Music?

Can Christians Create Quality Music?
June 12, 2009, 01:18:13 AM
Most Christian bands are a failure, especially contemporary acts. But many early composers (not many romantic era that I know of) are open Christians and often created music for their religion. Can they be imaginative geniuses? What are some composers that were devout Christians or religious in general?

Re: Can Christians Create Quality Music?
June 12, 2009, 03:19:46 AM
Finding the ones that were not devout and that were not inspired by religion would be the more interesting question I believe. In my mind, the quality of the masses of Franz Schubert and Johann Sebastian Bach or of Anton Bruckner's Te Deum and 9th Symphony are more than enough to demonstrate that Christianity can not only create quality music, but also timeless masterpieces. You don't even need to be religious to agree with me here.

June 12, 2009, 06:10:27 AM
No, but to have identified oneself as a Christian in the 17th century does not mean the same things as today. It wasn't simply a religion, it was aligned with the nexus of the whole European social and intellectual culture - and it manifested in rich different strands of Catholicism, Protestantism and so on.

Today it's mostly just the culture and philosophy ignorant "reborn" Christians who go to great lengths to identify themselves as Christian in the music scene; there was never a problem with metal musicians who privately profess to some form of Christian belief but don't associate with "Christian metal", which is a failure.

June 14, 2009, 06:57:34 AM
Argreed with the above.

Keep in mind though that most musical leaps since the greeks were made by Christians.  The very foundation of what Western music is, is completely Christian.  I prefer to think of it as European culture rather than Christian culture, but facts are facts.

June 15, 2009, 04:06:16 AM
Im not a christian or religious, but I find christian art to be beautiful. Listen to Guillaume Dufay and im shure you will agree with me.

June 16, 2009, 04:09:52 AM
Quality music?

Sure. The entire history of classical music is littered with Christian composers.

Quality metal?

I've yet to see it.

June 16, 2009, 05:07:04 AM
I'd rather not have to have a band's background history to enjoy their music. If I remember correctly, Dio believed in God.
You can be a nonchalant Christian and make good music, as long as your intentions aren't to stagnate your music with religious jargon and water it down so that its message (or lack thereof, no pun intended?) reaches the furthest corners of the Earth and enters into every devout follower's ear. All in all, let the music speak for itself.

June 18, 2009, 09:31:17 PM
You want to talk about the problems of categorical logic: it's all in how you define your categories.

For example, is someone a Christian or are they a transcendental idealist expressing themselves through Christian ideals?

Makes good sense then.

In fact, metal by transcendental idealist Christians would be perfectly allright -- but it would upset most people who call themselves Christian. After all, Christianity is many things, but if you read too much into Christ, you get a morality of submission to the will of the Crowd through equality. This backward logical inference -- people are important because they are people, not because they're important -- helped ruin Western civilization, at least until we can get it back on track.

That kind of thinking... those people, people who believe that, never do anything important. Their brains are already sterilized. You'll find that most Christians who aren't dipshit proles are semi-misanthropic, quasi-nationalist, primally conservative and warlike.

June 18, 2009, 11:14:28 PM
You'll find that most Christians who aren't dipshit proles are semi-misanthropic, quasi-nationalist, primally conservative and warlike.

My experience has been different.  Most of the good Christians I've met would be categorized as moderate or pragmatic.  Usually, "conservative" Christians (i.e. the Religious Right) are dumb as fuck and the biggest opponents of abortion, eugenics, and science.  However, I will admit that there appears to be a tendency amongst old school conservatives to be far more sane than the crowd.

On the main topic: Yes, Christians are capable of creating quality music.  They simply choose not to.

June 21, 2009, 11:33:15 AM
Quality music?

Sure. The entire history of classical music is littered with Christian composers.

Quality metal?

I've yet to see it.

What about Tom Araya for example?

June 21, 2009, 07:46:21 PM
Just checked the credits up till South of Heaven, Araya has written none of the music, just some lyrics.
Most of of the music is by Hanneman and King, whereby Hanneman has written the cooler songs.

But I think Black Sabbath would qualify, and maybe Korrozia Metalla as well :)

June 22, 2009, 09:07:30 AM
Just checked the credits up till South of Heaven, Araya has written none of the music, just some lyrics.
Most of of the music is by Hanneman and King, whereby Hanneman has written the cooler songs.

Not to drag this off-topic, but I've always had the impression Hanneman was the brains of that group.

June 22, 2009, 01:00:12 PM
You want to talk about the problems of categorical logic: it's all in how you define your categories.

For example, is someone a Christian or are they a transcendental idealist expressing themselves through Christian ideals?

Makes good sense then.

In fact, metal by transcendental idealist Christians would be perfectly allright -- but it would upset most people who call themselves Christian. After all, Christianity is many things, but if you read too much into Christ, you get a morality of submission to the will of the Crowd through equality. This backward logical inference -- people are important because they are people, not because they're important -- helped ruin Western civilization, at least until we can get it back on track.

That kind of thinking... those people, people who believe that, never do anything important. Their brains are already sterilized. You'll find that most Christians who aren't dipshit proles are semi-misanthropic, quasi-nationalist, primally conservative and warlike.

I don't understand. How is semi-misanthropic, quasi-nationalist and warlike not in direct opposition to Christianity?

June 23, 2009, 04:04:12 AM
I don't understand. How is semi-misanthropic, quasi-nationalist and warlike not in direct opposition to Christianity?

Misanthropic is at the heart of Christianity in that at its core, it rebukes man and life itself. Revelation is seething with misanthropy.

As far as quasi-nationalist and warlike, I think thats unique to American Christians who have this paradoxical John Wayne meets Jonathan Edwards outlook on life. A good example of these types are people who serve as infantrymen in the armed forces yet identify themselves as Christian.             

If I'm wrong by what the originator meant, then I stand by this as my own.

June 23, 2009, 04:52:54 AM
Misanthropic is at the heart of Christianity in that at its core, it rebukes man and life itself. Revelation is seething with misanthropy.

The problem with Christianity is that it was not tied to a culture, and its progenitors were ignorant of its origins, named borrowings from Sumerian, Phoenician, Hindu and Greek thought.

It's a continuation of the Indo-European religions, just misunderstood. The crowd turned it into dualism; it was more like a primitive pantheism, a pattern pantheism perhaps, in which total submission to God was the goal.

And if God is nature and all that's around you...?

It's submission to God as much to fight and slaughter enemies as it is to garden.

The bias of morons without a cultural anchor misdirected Christianity. To pagans, originally, it was sensible because they did not assume God as a dualistic personality, but an organic mythic-imaginative symbol like Zeus or Thor.