Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Best guitars to play black metal

Best guitars to play black metal
June 25, 2009, 04:54:30 AM
What are, in your opinion, the best electric guitars to play black metal with?

It would be really nice to have replies posted by actual musicians or good rehearsal observers.

======================================================================================

It took a while for me to feel the thirst of seeking a perfect black metal guitar sound. Despite the fact that
using a proper sound modifying device or amplifier is also important, I think it's the guitar what is essential.
My current worktool is a Jackson King V and the main reason why I started this topic is grasping some
helpful recommendations of a replacement. Or should I change the Jackson at all?

Note that I am writing a kind of black metal with shreds of folk influences (involving a clean guitar, flute etc.).
To err is human. To dream is futile.

Re: Finest Black Metal Guitars
June 25, 2009, 06:39:56 PM
Most of the formative black metal bands from the 80s through to early 90s played on absolute shit instruments (according to "proper" musicians at least). I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If you're starting out, my advice is: nail composition of your songs first, worry about sound later.

June 25, 2009, 07:29:59 PM
That's very much correct but I'm not starting out. Thanks anyway.
To err is human. To dream is futile.

Trauco

June 25, 2009, 11:43:56 PM
Most of the formative black metal bands from the 80s through to early 90s played on absolute shit instruments (according to "proper" musicians at least). I wouldn't worry about it at all.

In the second wave, both Burzum and Mayhem stick to my mind at using cheap instrumentation. Bands like Immortal and Emperor had more of a "professional" setup. There's some Pentagram (Chile) photos which show the lead guitarist using a hand crafted guitar judging by the lack of a label in the head. There are really countless examples, but I don't think any great metal musician used an instrument that was shit in both the professional and layman POV...only cheap instrumentation.

If you're starting out, my advice is: nail composition of your songs first, worry about sound later.

I dunno, the sound of one's rig might sometimes inspire a few ideas that may influence the composition and isn't without its importance. Yet I think your advice is good, but I'd re-interpret it as follows: a good instrument / setup don't make good songs.

June 26, 2009, 12:58:45 AM
Euronymous used a Gibson Les Paul, through a Marshall Plexi and a distortion pedal. That setup produced the much imitated DMDS sound, as well as the deadly guitar tone on Deathcrush.

Trauco

June 26, 2009, 01:22:29 AM
Euronymous used a Gibson Les Paul, through a Marshall Plexi and a distortion pedal. That setup produced the much imitated DMDS sound, as well as the deadly guitar tone on Deathcrush.

AAhh yes, I remembered in the photos that Euro's instrument had a beaten up look, turned out it was just the stickers glued to the body.

Interestingly, his guitar used the vintage metallic type of pickup, instead of the modern humbuckers. The former should give a more bluesy, thin sound (as I have read...I never tried those myself).

June 26, 2009, 01:26:27 AM

AAhh yes, I remembered in the photos that Euro's instrument had a beaten up look, turned out it was just the stickers glued to the body.

Interestingly, his guitar used the vintage metallic type of pickup, instead of the modern humbuckers. The former should give a more bluesy, thin sound (as I have read...I never tried those myself).

The metallic parts are simply covers. You can take those off. I wouldn't call Les Paul pickups thin, in fact, I'd call them thick and bluesy.

ozz

June 26, 2009, 04:27:10 PM
I approve of my stagg h300 very similar to a B.C. Rich, but much more affordable.  Damn good guitar.
a fucking guitar wizard

June 26, 2009, 05:10:38 PM
Unfortunately, most black metal bands use B.C. Rich guitars, because of its looks for the most part. That's all you really get when you buy a Beast or something, just the looks.
~proud member of the AsPie NuRd UndErGroUnd SoCieTy~ post this in your sig if you are too!

June 26, 2009, 05:54:34 PM
Unfortunately, most black metal bands use B.C. Rich guitars, because of its looks for the most part. That's all you really get when you buy a Beast or something, just the looks.

BC Rich's can be extremely great guitars. You always get what you pay for. In the 80's, they made some of the best guitars ever.

June 26, 2009, 06:30:45 PM
I own two guitars. An Ibanez Gio, and a BC Rich Warlock.

I've found that the Gio is much better suited to handling black metal. It naturally has a buzzier, fuzzier sound to it, perhaps because its such a cheap guitar. Its certainly not a bad quality guitar, but it has a great sound to it.

The BC Rich, on the other hand, is better suited for downtuning, so I would use it to play death metal or grindcore.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 26, 2009, 07:26:10 PM

BC Rich's can be extremely great guitars. You always get what you pay for. In the 80's, they made some of the best guitars ever.

I went to Guitar Center about a month ago and I picked up a Beast just to see what all the damn hype was about, I was very unimpressed with the sound that I got out of it. Also, many have told me that those guitars crap out after a while, very poor quality.
~proud member of the AsPie NuRd UndErGroUnd SoCieTy~ post this in your sig if you are too!

June 26, 2009, 07:36:41 PM

I went to Guitar Center about a month ago and I picked up a Beast just to see what all the damn hype was about, I was very unimpressed with the sound that I got out of it. Also, many have told me that those guitars crap out after a while, very poor quality.

What model Beast? If it was a 200 dollar guitar, of course it will suck.

June 26, 2009, 07:44:30 PM

I think the price tag read $550 or so, could be mistaken but it was more expensive than $200 for sure.
I ended up settling with a $500 Ibanez, amazing guitar.

June 26, 2009, 07:52:48 PM

I think the price tag read $550 or so, could be mistaken but it was more expensive than $200 for sure.
I ended up settling with a $500 Ibanez, amazing guitar.

BC Rich's that are cheaper than 1000 dollars aren't going to be great. They don't do low end well. However, their custom shop guitars are some of the best ever. And again, in the 80's they made better guitars (even cheap guitars).