Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Best guitars to play black metal

Re: Best guitars to play black metal
October 31, 2009, 06:15:44 AM
The new guitar center exclusive BC Rich Jr. V is nice, too bad it has a Floyd Rose.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-DLXJRVO-Deluxe-Jr.-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=517529

The Boss HM-2 was influential to early Swedish Death metal, but you can get good black metal sounds out of it.

Protip: Mahogany is what you want if you want a heavier sounding instrument.

November 17, 2009, 10:29:07 AM
There is no "best" guitar for black metal. The guitar itself is not the essential element of your sound, and anyway the guitar tones in black metal vary a lot. Many of them were largely accidental.  In my opinion, though, the most important factors in a good guitar are playability and pickups. Pickup preferences, like what constitutes good playability, are subjective of course. Humbuckers would be recommended by most people, but other than that it's all personal preference in my opinion. I like passive pickups with high (but not extremely high) output, but that might not be your thing.

My main guitar for black metal is an Ibanez RG1570 with DiMarzio pickups. I've also got an old Greco Les Paul that I use when I want a fuller sound. The other guitar player in my band uses a cheap B.C. Rich Warlock, that I think he bought primarily because of the looks. It's not my favorite guitar to play, but he enjoys it and he makes it sound how we want it to sound.

November 17, 2009, 05:00:15 PM
The tone you produce while playing music comes 95% from how you compose and harmonize the melodies in the piece.  Tone quality does not vary that much between guitars.  What really determines the sound quality of an instrument is the skill of the person playing it.  The real benefit of a well made instrument is that it is easier to produce a strong, shaped sound so the player can focus more on the piece.

"The new guitar center exclusive BC Rich Jr. V is nice, too bad it has a Floyd Rose."

I don't understand why having a Floyd Rose bridge is a bad thing.  Having it gives you more compositional options.  Granted it makes tuning the guitar a bit of a chore but you'd have to tune it Floyd Rose or not.

November 20, 2009, 02:10:06 PM
For my I always loved humbuckers on a guitar no matter what the brand. I actually had a cheapy guitar with humbackers as my first guitar 13 years ago and man did it ever have great sustain. I just used the onboard amp distortion.

Now for my new crazy set up I use my Ibanez Sr400 bass (tuned A a d g) and run it to my distortion pedal( Fab Metal) then run that to my Behringer mixer. Then I can run the outs to my two stereo speakers. They are Realistics by Radio Shack and have two 8 inch speakers in each. Hey they were free so I utilize what I can. Also to supplement an even bigger sound I also can run my headphone out from the mixer to my amp(which is on 15w). This creates a HUGE sound that I am very happy with.

X

November 20, 2009, 04:26:43 PM
Now for my new crazy set up I use my Ibanez Sr400 bass (tuned A a d g) and run it to my distortion pedal( Fab Metal) then run that to my Behringer mixer. Then I can run the outs to my two stereo speakers. They are Realistics by Radio Shack and have two 8 inch speakers in each. Hey they were free so I utilize what I can. Also to supplement an even bigger sound I also can run my headphone out from the mixer to my amp(which is on 15w). This creates a HUGE sound that I am very happy with.

Interesting set-up, I'd be interested in hearing how that'd sound.

My advice to the OP, if you know anyone who can build instruments or is handy with wood working, perhaps check with them, you can get a guitar made of a better quality wood (I'd go with mahogany for a heavier sound) for less money than buying a brand name one, not to mention a custom shape if desired.

I, myself built a bass in shop class, and the wood for the body was only $20 (Electronics and neck were from a previous bass I didn't want anymore), the rest was just time and effort. And it came out great.

November 20, 2009, 07:38:33 PM
Yeah I will have to create a sample for you to listen to. I need next a microphone as that will capture the big sound I am going for...

November 21, 2009, 10:57:57 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=21TRJIPC

That is a sample of the sound in which I made espcecially for your pleasure...

November 30, 2009, 07:20:16 AM
I just use an Ibanez RG, a digitech distortion pedal(apparantly the same kind Euronymous used, but I'm not sure) and a 15 watt Vox practice amp with a coil reverb that I turn all the way on. It gives me the sound required for what I compose. I do need to get a bigger amp so I can play with drums without turning my amp so loud that it kills my tone, but I'm really attached to that amp and will never get rid of it.