Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How crippling is alcohol?

Re: How crippling is alcohol?
July 17, 2009, 09:31:49 PM
Masturbathon is now one of my favorite words. Hah.

Awesome )
" I am the one, Masturbathon
the outstreched grasping hand,
my image, is of onany,
my seed has dropped to land"

July 18, 2009, 06:24:00 AM
I think in terms of its horrible long term effects, alcohol is up there with heroin and perhaps worse-- heroin doesn't kill brain cells the way alcohol does.

Personally I avoid it for the most part.  THC is much more pleasant but even that got boring long ago.

July 19, 2009, 12:24:55 PM
Masturbation is a very lowest common denominator activity.  A Ménage à trois on the otherhand is more praiseworthy because it involves interaction with other people making it far more challenging.  I support social eugenics in that those who can't perform at a certain level socially (picking up women for one thing) should be culled from the population to increase its health.  In fact in our apocalyptic age I already see that coming into effect and I find a sense of beauty in it
Even the basest of men can pick up women, I don't see how they represent the better portion of the population, white trash in America must be the nobles of society. You equate picking up women to a skill, like drawing a picture or using a computer . God forbid not all of us treat women like objects and "goals". I just got laid, score!

July 19, 2009, 05:49:30 PM
Alcohol, like any other drug, is as crippling as you want it to be.

July 21, 2009, 11:03:18 PM

This seems closest to the truth, it's like marijuana, heroin or cocaine. The people with a true weakness of spirit or body will become 'addicted', but those with self-control can use it once and leave it at that.

Unfortunately, for some reason being a weak-willed bottom feeder is not reason enough to be pampered by society, so they are 'addicts'. And as soon as that lost its punch, 'addiction' is now a 'disease'.

July 22, 2009, 12:09:24 AM
There's something nobody will ever tell you about coke.

How bad the hangovers are.  Like, wanting to die bad, a deep soul sickness that's like depression but even more horrible and unbearable.

Why people do it I have no idea.  How's this deal sound:  "OK, pay me $80.  Then you will feel absolutely amazing for a day.  Then, I will begin beating you with a baseball bat.  I will do this for about a day as well."

Didn't take me long to realize that I don't like getting beat with a bat.  I also don't like vomiting.  I also don't particularly like the "meh" feeling that comes the next day after weed, or the extreme paroxysms of paranoia that I get when I'm on it.

Are some people just stupid?

Also, what the hell is with AA?  Why do people need to go to a smoke filled classroom to drink vile coffee and have crackheads tell them not to drink beer?

July 22, 2010, 03:32:40 AM
Sweating, vomiting, and diarrhea also commonly occur during a hangover, and these conditions can result in additional fluid loss and electrolyte imbalances. Symptoms of mild to moderate dehydration include thirst, weakness, dryness of mucous membranes, dizziness, and lightheadedness - all commonly observed during a hangover.

http://biology.about.com/od/physiology/a/alcoholhangover_2.htm

A fluid imbalance is often associated with imbalances of sodium, potassium (see: hyponatremia, hypokalemia, and hyperkalmia) and other chemicals that help regulate body fluids.

http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Fluid-imbalance.htm

When the amount of sodium in fluids outside cells drops, water moves into the cells to balance the levels. This causes the cells to swell with too much water. Although most cells can handle this swelling, brain cells cannot, because the skull bones confine them. Brain swelling causes most of the symptoms of hyponatremia.

http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Hyponatremia.htm

Potassium is needed for cells, especially nerve and muscle cells, to function properly. You get potassium through food. The kidneys remove excess potassium in the urine to keep a proper balance of the mineral in the body.

http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Hypokalemia.htm

Bottom line is to use in moderation (Merciless All Father commands so) or not at all (Allah the Merciful forbids it). To regulate moderate to no use, only buy the best quality product you can afford or skip it altogether.

July 22, 2010, 02:23:15 PM
Masturbathon is now one of my favorite words. Hah.

Perhaps, with the way society is going, this wont be an unfeasible public event.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25278.html (the original text of the MSNBC "news" story isn't available annymore)

July 23, 2010, 03:57:16 AM
I limit myself to 2 beers a day unless there's a social gathering or special occasion. It's not very difficult, and I usually feel bad doing it if I haven't done anything productive yet that day and opt not to drink at all.

It's not that difficult.

July 23, 2010, 02:46:12 PM
The truth is somewhere in the middle:

Personally I avoid it for the most part.  THC is much more pleasant but even that got boring long ago.

I don't believe it's "as crippling as you want it to be." That sounds like a typical modern sentiment: you're in absolute control! You do get intoxicated and it does affect your judgment. In addition, it is addictive. While the weak-willed are more likely to immediately get hooked, most people simply lose time over it.

And that's kind of where I am on drugs, and alcohol -- they're a surrogate for actually tackling life. They occupy time and make you feel good without good things having yet happened. Sometimes, there are no consequences; but in general, there are. So I avoid them.

July 23, 2010, 05:01:23 PM
I drink a hell of a lot when I'm with other drinkers, and not at all when I'm by myself or with non-drinkers.  However, recently, I've been drinking less and less (possibly as a result of delving into Salvia Divinorum; equally likely a result of having no money because I volunteer for a conservationist organisation and thus have no "real job").  Generally, getting drunk is merely the side effect of drinking liquids which I find enjoyable to drink (Jaegermeister, dark rum [these two are my "staples", drunk straight, and copiously], occasionally some Port after dinner, occasionally Cider with lunch).  However, I do "know" people who "drink to get drunk".  They also grab any and every drug which comes their way.  As a result of their general inadequacy and weak wills, I have very little to do with them nowadays.

July 23, 2010, 11:30:07 PM
"It's possible that reckless hedonism becomes a substitute for achievement, and that this creates a huge pool of people who are working the reverse of that -- because they can't achieve, they pursue reckless hedonism -- in turn, dragging the genre down toward more inclusive material."
Conservationalist-
I knew a really talented musician who really enjoyed hallucinagens.  He took very, very many and ended up burning himself out.  He went from a highly talented individual with a solid history of creativity and boundless potential to a bum who incessantly parties.  Many people defend him saying, "he's just seen the other side, man.  He's seen the truth and doesn't need to do things for the man!"  I figure with or without hallucinagenic experiences, those that have truly seen the other side have something to show for it.  Anybody doubt that Beethoven, Napolean, or van Gogh saw the other side?
I figure that drugs can be used as a means (I like THC for music rehersals) but when the drug becomes an end (the 'marijuana culture') is where the failure happens.  Also, I think an aristocracy or nobility would cancel some of the ill effects of alcohol/drug consumption.  The old nobilities probably partied pretty hardy, but it was expected of their position that they achieve. .

July 24, 2010, 12:00:06 AM
I figure that drugs can be used as a means (I like THC for music rehersals) but when the drug becomes an end (the 'marijuana culture') is where the failure happens.

This.  I've seen this a lot among people.  There are those who smoke weed at an appropriate time to get into the right mindset for something, and then there are those who smoke weed to smoke weed.

July 24, 2010, 12:24:41 AM

I don't believe it's "as crippling as you want it to be." That sounds like a typical modern sentiment: you're in absolute control! You do get intoxicated and it does affect your judgment. In addition, it is addictive. While the weak-willed are more likely to immediately get hooked, most people simply lose time over it.

Lose the useless dualism?

http://www.ceveni.com/2009/01/aghori-sadhus-eating-human-flesh-video.html

July 24, 2010, 11:34:23 AM

Lose the useless dualism?

http://www.ceveni.com/2009/01/aghori-sadhus-eating-human-flesh-video.html

What dualism? Posting video links in response to an argument is very 4chan.