Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Black ambient

Black ambient
February 10, 2006, 05:14:35 PM
Not dark ambient, but ambient that comes from the same background as black metal.

Aghast, Neptune Towers, Burzum, Ildjarn, Beherit...

Edit: Lord Wind

Anything else that's good?

I can't stop listening to Aghast right now. One of the most atmospheric and creepy things I've ever heard. The two witches' vocals are almost terror-inducing if you're in a dark room by yourself with headphones on.

Re: Black ambient
February 10, 2006, 05:40:10 PM

February 11, 2006, 05:08:57 AM

Aghast. I've never heard of them.  Which album are you listening to?

February 11, 2006, 01:48:22 PM
Aghast. I've never heard of them.  Which album are you listening to?

The album's called Hexerei im Zweilicht der Finsternis

I'll upload it.

February 11, 2006, 03:13:34 PM
Mz. 412

February 11, 2006, 03:43:18 PM
Endura

no black metal background, but it's definitely what you're looking for

February 11, 2006, 04:47:59 PM
Great God of Pan was a brilliant release.

I'd also check out (allthough not black ambient but very dark indeed) Ten Horned Beast @

http://www.cellarseer.com/tenhornedbeast/index.htm\

which has Chris Walton from Endvra. Think drone + ritual.

February 11, 2006, 08:25:30 PM
Vinterriket cooks up an ambient dish with a side serving of black metal.

February 11, 2006, 10:26:04 PM
I checked out Aghast...holy fucking shit. It made me not want to be alone in my house.  I loved it!

February 12, 2006, 12:39:37 AM
I checked out Aghast...holy fucking shit. It made me not want to be alone in my house.  I loved it!

Yeah, that was my reaction too. It made me excited, like I'd found something truly excellent, like I'd stumbled into a gateway into another world. It was like "Wow, I didn't know music could conjure up THIS incredibly vivid image in my mind that I never would have experienced without it!" and the whole album does that to me. It's as if the thoughts and images that were in the minds of the creators are so effectively conveyed by the music that it almost feels like you're directly experiencing their thought processes. It literally expands your mind to listen to it by introducing new ideas into it via the language of music.

February 13, 2006, 12:08:58 PM
Great God of Pan was a brilliant release.

I'd also check out (allthough not black ambient but very dark indeed) Ten Horned Beast @

http://www.cellarseer.com/tenhornedbeast/index.htm\

which has Chris Walton from Endvra. Think drone + ritual.

Thanks, that project looks interesting. If anyone knows where i can get it.. probably not.

TC

February 13, 2006, 12:24:53 PM
i highly recommend Dissecting Table.  probably the most accessible is 'Human Breeding'.  if you can get into that, delve deeper into his discog.

February 13, 2006, 04:02:06 PM
I'm not too keen on Neptune Towers. It's spacey, but inferior in its spaciness to Krautrock, so why bother? 'Electric Doom Synthesis' is one of the shittest albums that I have ever heard. It's dance music done poorly by black metal nerds. I wouldn't wipe my arse with it.
Angelo Badalamenti blows these pseuds away in the Mulholland Drive soundtrack. The track 'Diner' is the kind of stuff 'ambient metallers' will like. I've listened to the KCUF ambient shows and with the exception of Burzum's stuff, which I've already heard, I don't seem to like ambient as a genre.  It's best done in snippets by film composers (Morricone, etc) and by metal bands (Burzum's stuff, track 26 of Fantomas's first album, etc). Basically, ambient is good when an artist has a clearly-defined picture of what sense he wants to express. The aforementioned turkeys sound like aimless knob-twiddling, which is why they sound shit.

February 13, 2006, 04:49:39 PM
Besides Neptune Towers and the ambient albums from Burzum, Ildjarn, and Beherit, I've always thought that some of the best "black ambient" music are some individual tracks from Black Metal albums. 'Summerlands' from Drawing Down the Moon and 'Prolog' from The Celtic Winter come to mind.