Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Recommended reading

Recommended reading
July 12, 2009, 06:50:03 AM
I'm looking for books that you would recommend reading.

Re: Books you would recommend???
July 12, 2009, 09:20:38 AM
Too broad.
There are thousands of "good books" to be recommended to read.
Try being more specific... ask for good books in a certain subject or about a specific thing, for example.

July 12, 2009, 10:41:57 AM
Try reading all the shit on this website.  There's a good book.

db

July 16, 2009, 12:14:03 PM
Maldorer by Comte De Lautremont

July 17, 2009, 07:30:18 AM
The Autobiography of Malcolm X.  Great book, shows how man lives in society and can change it, unveils the character of a very determined and powerful person. 
Unlimited Power by Anthony "Tony" Robbins.  You may laugh, scoff, what have you.  Describes the methods of neurolinguistic programming or how we teach our minds to talk to themselves.  Excellent information in this book.  Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill.  One of the first self help books.  Read it!  It is a must.  How to Win Friends and Influence People.  Fuck the bible!  This should replace the bible as the book of moral guidance.  It is a must, I get orgasmic tingles all over when I behold the wisdom in this book.  Catcher in The Rye.  Read that one too... More to come.   

July 19, 2009, 12:15:57 PM
Dostoevsky is oddly absent from this website, I'm not sure if his Christian leanings are to blame or not, but even Nietzsche was able to see through that and was one of his favourite authors. Evola's Ride the Tiger is littered with references to Dostoevsky too. Regardless, he is a must, Notes From The Underground would resonate strongly with members of this board, but Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment and The Idiot are all classics too.

July 19, 2009, 06:37:35 PM
Dostoevsky is oddly absent from this website, I'm not sure if his Christian leanings are to blame or not, but even Nietzsche was able to see through that and was one of his favourite authors. Evola's Ride the Tiger is littered with references to Dostoevsky too. Regardless, he is a must, Notes From The Underground would resonate strongly with members of this board, but Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment and The Idiot are all classics too.
The Possessed is probably the most "metal" novel of them all.

July 20, 2009, 08:49:38 AM
Sadly I haven't read it, hence the omission from my suggestion, but it would not surprise me if it was genius as well, like all of Dostoevsky's master works. It's somewhere on a rather long to-do list of reading for me.

July 20, 2009, 12:33:19 PM
48 Laws of Power.

The Prince.

The Art of War

Godel, Escher, Bach

Re: Recommended reading
July 20, 2009, 11:10:29 PM
As though we have aquired the wit to comprehend and preserve such teachings.

July 21, 2009, 02:51:31 AM
Anyone else a fan of Bret Easton Ellis? His best are probably American Psycho and Less than Zero, but I think Glamorama is also great. I've been reading a lot of nonfiction for awhile now (nothing especially noteworthy), but I also have really been enjoying this collection of H.P. Lovecraft titled Necronomicon.

July 22, 2009, 02:13:13 AM

On his christian leanings, I would argue that, especailly in regards to the ending of Crime and Punishment, that Dostoevsky does so to continue writing. His work was written to be read, it was published in periodicals and novel form, so for him to retain an audience and recieve pay, I believe he sacrificied some literary/philosophical dignity and has a salvation for his characters in the end. I do think the epilogue in C+P is a cop out, but I think its place within the book is very questionable, as from memory it strikes a very different tone and feels like a phantom limb.

July 22, 2009, 06:53:38 AM
I think his Christianity was sincere enough. The end of C+P was Dostoevsky's rather rushed Ad Hoc solution to "nihilism" and Western ideas by using Christianity as the answer. He finds himself in a similar situation with the Grand Inquisitor. The truth is too overwhelmingly difficult to bare so he looks to Christian teachings and figures for an ideal (in particular, Father Zosima). There's not always salvation either, Notes from the Underground and The Idiot have two of the most miserable, unresolved endings I've ever read.

"If someone proved to me that Christ is outside the truth, and that in reality the truth were outside of Christ, then I should prefer to remain with Christ rather than with the truth."
Fyodor Dostoevsky

I think this ultimately the most disappointing aspect of his work, he could of heralded a new wave of philosophy with Nietzsche but instead found himself in a reactionary Christian stance. Still makes for great reading though.