Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Battle of the black metal movies

Battle of the black metal movies
July 15, 2009, 10:04:03 PM
Until the Light Takes Us is a documentary of the early 1990s black metal scene in Norway. Featuring interviews with Varg Vikernes, Fenriz of Darkthrone and other foundational members of the early black metal community, it is a documentary meant to appreciate black metal the way it should always have been: as an artistic movement against the modern world, gravitating toward mythic imagination through intense music, murder and fire.

Until the Light Takes Us homepage

This is coming out right before the mainstream media unleashes their latest assault on the genre:

Jackson Rathbone, the teen heartthrob from "Twilight", has reportedly agreed to play Varg Vikernes (a.k.a. Count Grishnackh) the former BURZUM mastermind who is currently serving a Norwegian prison term for the August 1993 murder of MAYHEM guitarist Oystein Aarseth (a.k.a. Euronymous) and setting fire to three churches in the upcoming movie "Lords Of Chaos".

Based on Michael Moynihan and Didrik Soderlind's book of the same name, the film depicts true events and revolves around the black metal sub-culture that spawned a wave of murders and church arsons across Norway in the early 1990s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385582/

Somehow, a fictionalized, dramatized, Hollywood-ized version of the Lords of Chaos book is about the last thing I'd want to ever see.

It would be great if someone treated black metal as a form of art, because those early bands are so transcendently beautiful and violent that they're like stepping outside of modern society into a reality from ancient times -- or the future.

Among other things, black metal and death metal were the only viable "art movement" of the kids born 1965-1976. After 1976, they're all Generation M to me ;)

Re: Battle of the black metal movies
July 16, 2009, 03:16:11 AM
You know what I've been wondering is how they're going to get the rights to use the music in the film. Obviously Vikernes wouldn't approve of that, right? Or do record companies have the rights to his recordings now? Even so, what about other old black metal bands? I can't see why they'd sell their music for some popular crap like this just for a meager profit. I've been imagining them making this movie about old black metal with a couple of new Behemoth and Dimmu Borgir tracks or something; kind of funny.

edit: if it wasn't clear i was talking about the lords of chaos movie

July 16, 2009, 05:29:30 AM
I'm eager to see Until The Light Takes Us. It looked very interesting, made by two people who seemed (from interviews) to have a genuine appreciation for black metal, and made the documentary with their hearts and minds.

This Twilight douchebag comes off as suspicious, no surprise. I'll bet they over dramatize everything, because after all, its Hollywood.

July 16, 2009, 05:47:21 AM
This Twilight douchebag comes off as suspicious, no surprise. I'll bet they over dramatize everything, because after all, its Hollywood.

The maker said it is going to be in the "teen horror" genre as well.

July 16, 2009, 08:22:40 AM
It's Hollywood so there needs to be a love story in there somewhere too, my bet's on Euronymous and his dildo.

July 16, 2009, 09:11:55 AM

The maker said it is going to be in the "teen horror" genre as well.

Sadly, there is something perversely fitting about that, given the make-up of the broader Black Metal "scene" these days.

July 16, 2009, 10:07:02 AM
Somehow, a fictionalized, dramatized, Hollywood-ized version of the Lords of Chaos book is about the last thing I'd want to ever see.

Agreed, though I must admit this Rathbone guy kinda does look the part:

July 16, 2009, 11:39:17 AM
^  Haha -  That pic of Varg looks like an out-take from his Soldbuch session, had he been around in 1944!

July 16, 2009, 04:12:50 PM
From the website:

"In 1991, Norwegian churches started to burn, just after an underground circle of metal musicians had formed. While reporters and police scrambled for answers, more and more churches went up in flames. They had no leads until Varg Vikernes, one of the architects of an underground music-art-political scene known as BLACK MEAL took credit and was quickly arrested. While he was in police custody, the media ran a largely fabricated story of satanic rituals, abductions and sacrifices. This film reveals the true story behind the music, murders and church burnings, and shows what happened when these young men, who tried to change the world using music, art and violence, found that they could not control what they had created."

Also worth seeing:

Until the Light Takes Us trailer (1:33)

"Until the Light Takes Us," a black metal documentary

Interview with filmmakers Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites

"The film is about black metal, but we also deal with wider issues and it is relevant to the larger culture, not just fans of the genre. I am a filmmaker before I'm a fan, and a person before I'm a filmmaker, so there are a few masters that I serve when I make something. This is a communication between us and the world."

Interview with Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites (Until the Light Takes Us)

Until the Light Takes Us is a documentary of the early 1990s black metal scene in Norway. Featuring interviews with Varg Vikernes, Fenriz of Darkthrone and other foundational members of the early black metal community, it is a documentary meant to appreciate black metal the way it should always have been: as an artistic movement against the modern world, gravitating toward mythic imagination through intense music, murder and fire.

Until the Light Takes Us homepage

July 17, 2009, 04:43:07 AM
 There are two totally different Lords Of Chaos movies.

lordsofchaosmovie.com  (Mexican rapper flick)

vs.

locthemovie.com (Norwegian Black Metal)