Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Ineffable Horror of Screamo

Re: The Ineffable Horror of Screamo
July 22, 2009, 10:19:10 AM
It must not have been screamo, because any screamo band worth their salt, wouldn't play around with keytars or t rex hands. I'm not a huge fan of screamo, but stuff that I have heard, I have liked and some shows I have attended have had screamo bands play, who haven't been bad. It doesn't take one a long time to figure out what is a screamo band relating back to the old sound, which had no keytars, trance breakdowns or trex hands, but would most likely have sung some song about feminist anarcho politics and fucked any party image of.
Regardless, this arguement/thread is pretty much a waste anyway. What does one achieve worrying about such matters?

July 22, 2009, 10:38:09 AM
Regardless, this arguement/thread is pretty much a waste anyway. What does one achieve worrying about such matters?

Screamo is just another example of this: Shit floats.

July 22, 2009, 07:57:07 PM
Screamo was first introduced in the early 90's, spawning from the end of the hardcore punk era. The newly adopted term is genuinely a crossbreed of "emo" music scenesters with screaming vocals, hence the derivative of its term. Most of this new aged Screamo/metalcore blend is only taken seriously by teenagers who need some kind of trend to follow and remain popular among a group of people. Like previously mentioned in another post; its already at its waning period and will soon be replaced by another pointless trend genre of pop music.

July 23, 2009, 03:14:20 PM
I think the confussion here is based on some legitimate supposed genre of "screamo" and the MTV brand that RedReign is talking about.  They have not defined their terms before starting their argument, so it will never be resolved.

So define it.  My question is does anyone actually call themselves "Screamo"?   I thought it was a derogatory term to begin with. 

chittyxvx, are you not talking about Hardcore in general, because I was under the impression that Screamo was a term to put down the modern wave metalcore shit.  Is there some Screamo revolution that I was unaware of?

Anyway, Hardcore nowadays in any form is usually made by suburbanites with no connection to real life and is usually crap to my ears.

July 23, 2009, 08:00:48 PM
Sorry, I stand by my original, all-time least favorite band of all time, Avenged Sevenlold. Nothing I think I'll ever hear will ever be as horrid as that cheesy, corny dogshit. AND THE VOCALIST SUCKS SO BAD, HOW DO PEOPLE TAKE THAT SERIOUSLY.

July 23, 2009, 11:28:45 PM
Calling those bands you seen "Screamo" is the equivalent to calling Cradle of Filth blackmetal.  Quit going to shitty shows.

July 24, 2009, 03:02:26 AM
Calling those bands you seen "Screamo" is the equivalent to calling Cradle of Filth blackmetal.

Once again, the "no true scotsman" fallacy. 

I'm rather shocked, in fact, that people are defending this excrement here.  The entire style is garbage.  The style's progenitors are also garbage.  Garbage in, garbage out: Screamo is yet another filthy chip off the old block.

July 27, 2009, 07:05:16 PM
As what cet30048 had said above, this kind of music originated from already existing hardcore and "emo" crap and is  obviously about nothing important which I guess unintelligent people want to listen to it..garabage is the word. This is something that seems to be a ongoing thing, newer kinds of "core" genres are coming up now, quite ridiculous.  I think it will just keep on getting worse as the years go by and newer types will form from it or off of it. And I will choose to keep ignoring it.

July 27, 2009, 08:50:45 PM
i like some punk rock and shit like that, but this stuff is so far removed from that to be irrelevant to the topic.

hardcore is garbage.  emo is garbage.  screamo, whether it's the "legitimate" pg 99  worship, or the tight-pants mallcore variety, is still garbage.  anybody who are so disappointed that we don't know the dual etymology of the term "screamo" should go figure out where any of this tripe fits under the "metal" umbrella.

i feel gayer even talking about this.

July 27, 2009, 09:10:21 PM
i like some punk rock and shit like that, but this stuff is so far removed from that to be irrelevant to the topic.

hardcore is garbage.  emo is garbage.  screamo, whether it's the "legitimate" pg 99  worship, or the tight-pants mallcore variety, is still garbage.  anybody who are so disappointed that we don't know the dual etymology of the term "screamo" should go figure out where any of this tripe fits under the "metal" umbrella.

i feel gayer even talking about this.

There are some real diamonds in the hardcore genre. Bad Brains and Amebix aren't garbage.

July 27, 2009, 10:04:34 PM
Yes, I don't listen to hardcore-- the real old stuff even-- but at least I respect it.  Even oldstyle skate punk you respected somehow, whether you listened to it or not.  There was the sense that the musicians and scene were somehow genuine, perhaps to a fault.

Not this shit.

That whole "distressed t-shirts" thing is also so true it's not even funny.  Those shirts are a BIG THING in that scene.  One other big thing for them is that the logos of the shirts are supposed to be side-printed. 

I don't have a problem with any of this, as far as I'm concerned it's as legitimate as any other scene.  That is to say, not at all legitimate.  It's just the music I can't stand.

It's still funny to me that people are defending it on ANUS.

July 29, 2009, 03:45:52 AM
chittyxvx, are you not talking about Hardcore in general, because I was under the impression that Screamo was a term to put down the modern wave metalcore shit.  Is there some Screamo revolution that I was unaware of?

Nope.
I'm refering to the experimentating taken by hardcore bands to produce new scenes. This includes both emo and screamo, which predate the mtv pop rock crap with screamed vocals parading around under those terms.
The era I'm refering to relates back to late 80s and early 90s which have very little to do with  the bands I am assuming redreign came into contact too.
In all honesty though, I see no point in continuing the discussion, if one wishes to understand the difference between scenes of now, and the bullshit being called such with no relation than the information is easily found on the internet.

July 29, 2009, 09:04:01 AM
I'm refering to the experimentating taken by hardcore bands to produce new scenes. This includes both emo and screamo, which predate the mtv pop rock crap with screamed vocals parading around under those terms.

Once again, you're assuming we don't know what you're talking about.  We do.  It's excrement.

Hardcore was excrement.  Emo is excrement.  Screamo is excrement.

July 29, 2009, 09:57:10 AM
Hardcore was excrement. 

I am prepared to argue against this point! Hardcore was musical/ideological innovation. But emo etc. didn't add anything to it. In fact, they contributed to its liberalization.

We discussed some of this here.