Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Are Aspies the superman?

Re: Are Aspies the superman?
July 22, 2009, 05:17:52 PM
They may understand, but they don't process or recognize the emotional reactions of others, and so miss out on the social cues that allow humans to function cooperatively.  This isn't the same as "don't give a shit," which is a characteristic of sociopaths, not Aspies.

Yeah. Isn't this inherent in the clinical definition of Asperger's Syndrome, anyway?

Many movies have nightmare scenarios of computers being in charge and then treating life cheapy (2001 is the at least one everyone should know).

But this is from a society where everyone needs to live forever, take drugs to avoid the actual living of that eternal life, and then relies on armies that are made up of the lowest class of men who will only serve for two years.  Maybe a computer running things for efficiency would at least be worth a try.

The shortcomings of quantitative computational advancement aside, any hypothetically complex machine capable of processing all requisite forms of human interaction to be competent at managing a society would already be ahead of someone with Asperger's Syndrome. A lot of specific elements of social interaction like empathetic awareness being lacking or nonexistent in someone with this condition does not imply that he or she is 'computer-like'; there are too many differences for the similarities to warrant this analogy.

July 22, 2009, 05:46:08 PM
What I find most strange about the whole explosion of autism in the recent years is, there are groups who actually don't want scientists to find a cure. I fail to understand the reasoning behind that.

July 22, 2009, 07:06:00 PM
What I find most strange about the whole explosion of autism in the recent years is, there are groups who actually don't want scientists to find a cure. I fail to understand the reasoning behind that.
The reasoning doesn't make sense because they are fucking retarded.

It's a common misconception that aspies don't understand human emotions.  They understand-- they just don't give a shit.

They may understand, but they don't process or recognize the emotional reactions of others, and so miss out on the social cues that allow humans to function cooperatively.  This isn't the same as "don't give a shit," which is a characteristic of sociopaths, not Aspies.
Bingo. I used to do things that annoyed/offended the living hell out of people without realizing it one bit. I've taken to studying people in groups and movies with close to true-to-life human interaction to get some grip on how to read people and it's payed off quite a bit.

It's odd though, I don't behave "normally" because I genuinely care about how people feel, I do so because my standing and level of comfort within a group is directly tied with how people perceive me. I think most aspies who adapt and do "ok" socially think the same way.

@OP I wouldn't say for one minute that aspies have the potential to be "supermen". Asperger's really has no positive benefits despite what those delusional "autism pride" fags say.

July 22, 2009, 09:45:50 PM
I think aspies should take a look at this then:

http://homepage.mac.com/billtomlinson/LOE3.html

It's on mac.com, but I'm sure a decent aspie searching for knowledge would be willing to overlook the rampant HIV.

July 22, 2009, 10:42:20 PM
At one point in my life I had to deal with a couple of aspies and they aren't people you really want leading. They're better off being used as human calculators - not a leader. Most valuable tools of society require understanding of other people - and aspies are social failures.

July 23, 2009, 12:44:08 AM
Aspies as world leaders? We might as well substitute humanity with robots.
The tapestry of this planet is my muse. - Paul Speckmann

July 23, 2009, 02:54:57 PM
I don't understand.  I read the newspapers and watch TV and I thought all our leaders already were aspies.

July 24, 2009, 03:05:46 AM
There's another extremely disturbing element in play: there are people who claim that autism is the next phase of human evolution.

Predictably, these people are New Agers.  The movement is called "Indigo Children."

Freedom is slavery.  Retardation is strength.  I want to ask "What next?"  But I'm terrified of the answer.
You got faith in the end... but you can't fucking see!

July 24, 2009, 03:29:55 AM
They're developmentally damaged. This isn't an evolutionary step upward.

July 26, 2009, 05:59:43 AM
Is Asperger's a form of autism?

"Some doctors believe that AS is not a separate and distinct disorder.  Instead, they call it high-functioning autism (HFA), and view it as being on the mild end of the ASD spectrum with symptoms that differ -- only in degree -- from classic autism.  Some clinicians use the two diagnoses, AS or HFA, interchangeably.  This makes gathering data about the incidence of AS difficult, since some children will be diagnosed with HFA instead of AS, and vice versa."

July 26, 2009, 10:04:09 PM
iPods may help Asperger's kids navigate life

So what about things like "Mummified In Barbed Wire?"

Nobody knows the trouble I see...
You got faith in the end... but you can't fucking see!

July 27, 2009, 02:50:39 AM
There's another extremely disturbing element in play: there are people who claim that autism is the next phase of human evolution.

Predictably, these people are New Agers.  The movement is called "Indigo Children."

Freedom is slavery.  Retardation is strength.  I want to ask "What next?"  But I'm terrified of the answer.

Whenever someone talks about the "next phase of evolution" you immediately know that they have absolutely no understanding of evolution.  New Agers have to be the worst group of people on this planet.  Their entire philosophy is basically that everyone should destroy their minds with drugs, and then everyone can just live in peace and harmony while stroking each others genitals.  When overpopulation finally reaches the tipping point and we're forced to cannibalize each other, I vote we all start with the New Agers.

July 28, 2009, 06:04:14 PM

Whenever someone talks about the "next phase of evolution" you immediately know that they have absolutely no understanding of evolution.  New Agers have to be the worst group of people on this planet.  Their entire philosophy is basically that everyone should destroy their minds with drugs, and then everyone can just live in peace and harmony while stroking each others genitals.  When overpopulation finally reaches the tipping point and we're forced to cannibalize each other, I vote we all start with the New Agers.

I couldn't agree more. This movement has spawned so many dirty, unemployed, hippy-like freeloaders (mostly children of people affected by the New Age movement) that act as if they're pursuing some kind of spiritual lifestyle and if you try and label them or others you're obviously not "open-minded" enough man. The sooner that these people can be wiped from the face of the earth along with their parents who now actually have incomes that their mid-20s "spiritually minded" kids depend on them for, the better.