Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The rebirth of metal

The rebirth of metal
July 22, 2009, 03:02:13 PM
We have discussed endlessly how metal should revive itself. I think we are witnessing its revival right now. The source, older seminal black metal acts. We've already had a promising release from Celtic Frost in 2006. Summoning have remained strong with every album as recently as 2006. Averse Sefira's Advent Parallax album was one of their best yet. Antaues have added a new track on their myspace which sounds very promising. Beherit's latest effort suprised us all and gives a new platform for balck metal to build on. Infernus finally won the legal battle over Gorgoroth's name and a new album has been anounced, shortly followed by Vikernes' release and subsequenty announcement that new material is on the way. (I am aware that we shouldn't get too excited by the last two examples until we've heard the results, but its promising all the same). And finally the hype about the "until the light takes us" film seems to be justified based on commercials and the descrptions given by the makers of the film.

Its not a full blown revival yet I know, but we already have a new platform to build from. And maybe many young hessians can find inspiration in these older acts showing many supposedly good modern bands how its really done.

Re: The rebirth of metal
July 22, 2009, 07:32:15 PM
Indeed! Averse Sefira's newest blog on their site is a dire foreshadowing of what may be in store for the metal scene as well. Metal is like a volcano, it's active for a while, EXPLODES, and after some time it dies. Hopefully we're approaching the newest eruption in metal in soon time.

July 23, 2009, 02:50:51 PM
A while back Anus showed some statics that showed that metal was losing popularity among hipsters and concluded that good metal will come again when the posers get out of the way.  I think that ended up being a correct conclusion.  No one likes metalcore anymore.  No has liked nu-metal in years, besides the bands that are more pop-oriented, and only girls like them, and maybe effeminate men. 

Celtic Frost's was great and it's good that Slayer might start giving a damn about what they write again, but for me, it's the new Beherit album that is the centerpiece of all of this.  For so long we have been talking here about what a new metal movement should be, saying things like "well what's left?" when really, the original message was never out of date to begin with.  Beherit did what they do best and were just as inspirational as ever.  Just like in the late 80s and early 90s, Beherit had their act together before most of the Norwegan bands, and maybe they will be following once again.

July 23, 2009, 06:45:17 PM
Unfortunately, many bands are feeling the same way about metal's rebirth, and those bands aren't exactly the artistic type.

http://www.myspace.com/steelpantherkicksass

Yea, they're serious.

July 23, 2009, 08:34:55 PM
Unfortunately, many bands are feeling the same way about metal's rebirth, and those bands aren't exactly the artistic type.

For every good idea, there's someone to ride the bandwagon, or imitate it without understanding it. That's the same problem we have in the West with hipsters, and the same problem the Nazis had with guys who were really good at jailing Jews but impossibly bad at fighting Russians. It's the same problem civilization itself faces: make a Roman empire, and idiots show up wanting to be Romans and infect you with their incompetence. It doesn't mean the idea is bad; it means you must be super-selective about which individuals you admit. Obviously, Steel Panther gets sent to guard duty in the German forest.

Celtic Frost's was great and it's good that Slayer might start giving a damn about what they write again, but for me, it's the new Beherit album that is the centerpiece of all of this.  For so long we have been talking here about what a new metal movement should be, saying things like "well what's left?" when really, the original message was never out of date to begin with.  Beherit did what they do best and were just as inspirational as ever.  Just like in the late 80s and early 90s, Beherit had their act together before most of the Norwegan bands, and maybe they will be following once again.

I completely agree, and raise you the new Asphyx. It's an improvement over their other later works. There's also the new Goreaphobia and Profanatica (both new Profanaticas). Probably others too. It's a revolution by the competent against the incompetent, now that the incomps have shown themselves to be labradors who wag their tails, sing about wolves, and otherwise rip off good ideas and go nowhere with them.

July 24, 2009, 09:33:13 AM
That Steel Panther shit, or any glam, is actually not as bad as a lot of the metal imitators because it's obvious to everyone that it's not actually metal.  As far as I'm concerned they can go and do whatever they want to do because I will neither have to hear it nor have its sound creep into sounds that I want to hear.  I'm not going to have Steel Panther fans show up at Immortal shows thinking it's the new cool place to be.

I just hope Celtic Frost don't start dressing like them again.

July 24, 2009, 07:42:01 PM
Last I read, Tom Warrior left Celtic Frost, essentially breaking the band up, though I heard martin ain and the drummer are working on something else.  It's a shame really, to wait so long for a new album, and then they just disappear again when things are going well.  But yeah, I agree that it's not "cool" to be really into metal anymore.  Some of my favorite bands aren't getting universally fawning reviews over their new stuff, which signals to me that this shit isn't trendy anymore, at least.

July 26, 2009, 08:11:32 AM

http://www.myspace.com/steelpantherkicksass

Yea, they're serious.

They're obviously trolling.

July 27, 2009, 03:20:48 AM
Note that of the following albums I have not heard many of them but I have placed them there as post 2000 albums I have either enjoyed or plan on listening to. If the majority of these turn out to be good this is a decent list of post 2000 black metal albums. There were also a few worthwhile releases from 1997-1999, not many but a few. As has been mentioned earlier we also have the new Burzum album, a promising track by Antaues and a new Gorgoroth album under Infernus.

Averse Sefira:
Battle's Clarion, 2001
Tetragrammatical Astygmata, 2005
Advent Parallax, 2008

Beherit:
Engram, 2009

Celtic frost:
Monotheist, 2006

Demoncy:
Empire Of The Fallen Angel, 2003

Havohej:
Kembatinan Premaster, 2009

Ildjarn:
Hardangervidda, 2002

Primordial:
Spirit The Earth Aflame, 2000
Storm Before Calm, 2002
The Gathering Wilderness, 2005
To the Nameless Dead, 2007

Profanatica:
Profanatitas De Domonatia, 2007
Disgusting Blasphemies Against God, 2009

Rotting Christ:
Khronos, 2000
Genesis, 2002
Sanctus Diavolos, 2004
Theogonia, 2007

Sorcier des Glaces:
Moonrise in Total Darkness, 2006

Summoning:
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, 2001
Oath Bound, 2007

Varathron:
Crowsreign, 2004

August 01, 2009, 07:38:58 AM
Demoncy - Empire Of The Fallen Angel is unfortunately a disappointing album. The good news is that Ixithra apparently thought the same and fired everyone in the band at that time and the new works should be returning to the old grimmer sound.

Havohej - Kembatinan Premaster I like it but I can imagine others won't. I personally prefer Havohej over Profanatica for their more experimental character as I feel it offers more space for innovation. Others might think it's just meaningless noise.

Primordial - To the Nameless Dead, well if you want to know what Bruce Springsteen would sound like if he tried viking metal...

Rotting Christ / Varathron, not sure about these but I'll place my 3 dollar bet on Necromantia - The Sound of Lucifer Storming Heaven when it comes to Greek BM still worth listening to.

Some additions to your list:

Ildjarn - Niddhogg for the new tracks Eksistensens Jeger and Svart Dag

Graveland - Fire Chariot Of Destruction for showing some innovation in song form