Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal needs to be fresh again

Trauco

Metal needs to be fresh again
July 24, 2009, 09:47:59 PM
When each of the metal subgenres first arose, it offered a wide spectrum of exploration in concept and development for the craft and gave the musicians involved big creative possibilities. And those horizons were initially given by small additions to a finished subgenre. That way, NWOBHM mixed with hardcore punk spawned speed metal, speed metal with an extra dose of Discharge and the inclusion of morbid concepts and elements created death metal, and so on. Those additions certainly didnít made the subgenre on its entirety, but gave the initial push required for relentless creativity to finish the job: they gave a feeling of freshness to a genre that was stagnated.

Newest wanderings at Hessian dot org

Re: Metal needs to be fresh again
July 25, 2009, 11:31:40 AM
And how do we do this?

Not extremity in the form of more distortion, more shrieking.  That's pretty much tapped out.

A return to the core values:

* Might is Right
* Sadism
* Satanism
* Nihilism

July 27, 2009, 04:03:54 PM
Alternate core values:

* Romanticism
* Radical Honesty
* Artistry
* Introversion
* Holism/naturalism
* Sodomy

These are the "bigger picture" than recent metal, and are wider in scope, so explain more of what metal is about and are harder to klone.

July 27, 2009, 05:15:19 PM
most likely some new explosion will happen w/ "extreme" music.  it might already be happening.  naturally, kids will arrive with talent and little reverence for the established order, and come up with something new that resonates with everyone else, just like every time before.  it's certainly not something that's going to get dreamed up on a messageboard.  i doubt it will be about a return to metal's core values, though many existing bands seem to be on that tip. 

July 27, 2009, 05:53:48 PM
All of these core values are anchored in pre-Christian antiquity. Black metal sometimes use this era for a medium to channel these values in song writing. Death metal sometimes uses the present era as a medium for ancient values. But, an historic setting is not always necessary. Being eternal beyond time, the old ways do not need a temporal medium at all.

July 27, 2009, 06:47:34 PM
Obviously the core values should be looked at closely.  I think Satanism, Neo-Nazi beliefs and Paganism were all subjects taken on in black metal to get closer to the truth of nature that has been hidden by modern values, and are no actually the core of what the music ended up being about. 

July 27, 2009, 06:49:51 PM
most likely some new explosion will happen w/ "extreme" music.  it might already be happening.  naturally, kids will arrive with talent and little reverence for the established order, and come up with something new that resonates with everyone else, just like every time before.  it's certainly not something that's going to get dreamed up on a messageboard.  i doubt it will be about a return to metal's core values, though many existing bands seem to be on that tip. 

I actually don't htink this will happen again.  There won't be any new punk rock or death metal kind of thing that happens, because the record companies are all very skilled at selling rebellion.  These genres come from over-moralist societies, and now that our society has no morals to speak of besides equality and capitalism, it's highly doubtful that anything new will shock anyone, without being a corporate invention.

Unless someone invents Nazi Pedophile rock or something...

July 27, 2009, 07:21:24 PM
Getting real bands to release free albums and compilations might be a strategy for wresting mindshare from the grip of the corporate whores.  (I keep wanting to say "copro-ate...")

To do so would be embracing the inevitable: there's already no money at all in metal cd sales, and the situation is likely to get worse, so perhaps it would be better to take the bull by the horns and leverage free distribution networks for all they're worth.  Keep in mind that that's how metal popularized itself in the first place.

At this point, in our world, the "real money" is in touring anyway.

July 27, 2009, 08:36:47 PM
there is no money in music.  especially metal.  none.  this shit eats money, it's a bottomless black whole that sucks in all the money around it.  i've known "successful" metal musicians that are broke.  when you factor in all the time spent practicing, buying equipment, gas, etc, almost nobody comes out in the black.  anybody who thinks they're generating money is just having the bill passed on and paid by somebody else.  on the whole, this thing generates no money.

Sammaellofi, punk rock and death metal happened without the involvement of record companies, the next whatever that comes along will do the same. 

these days, i think the best way for a band to promote themselves is to self-press limited, short-run stuff, whether on tapes or cd-r, make some handmade packaging, and send copies out to some of the more popular downloading blogs to attract attention.  they're going to download your music anyway.  and if 10,000 downloads can garner enough interest to sell you 300 cd-r's or 7", you get to keep all the money, you still own the rights to your band and your music, and your little bit of cash spent has gone much farther towards the goal of getting the name out.

DIY is all that's left, and all that works for bands.  i've known plenty of bands that trusted their music to labels, or trusted their booking to agents, and got raped BAD.  one in particular i remember was signed to a "big" american metal label, had to give half of their merch sales back to the label, plus if the pressing failed to cover the cost of recording and the (well known) producer's HEFTY fee, THE BAND was held liable.  we were playing the same shows as them to the same people, but this whole organization that was supposed to be helping them was really just making them broke musicians.  this shit is standard operating procedure for the conventional music system, and it's diametrically opposed to promoting creativity or proliferating any sort of true art.  naturally, the smartest learn to stay clear.

July 27, 2009, 09:12:23 PM
Sammaellofi, punk rock and death metal happened without the involvement of record companies, the next whatever that comes along will do the same. 

Because those movements needed to exist before the record companies could perfect their art of convincing people that buying CDs for $20 is somehow rebellion.  Other rebellions have probably happened since then, but were quickly swallowed up by record companies.

July 27, 2009, 10:03:10 PM
at precisely what point did the record companies perfect their mind control?  black metal has it's roots in the early 80's, likewise all genres originate from them old days.

in my town, most of the younger set are gravitating towards noise, ambient, etc.  much of it's crap, but much of metal is crap too.  i will say this: it would be impossible for a label to market a noise band.  i know many folks aren't into noise, i'm personally very distrustful of it, but that is an example of a genre that has exploded recently, without mainstream media exploiting it.

July 27, 2009, 10:33:13 PM
Many styles do arise without the aid of record companies.  Record companies do, however, push certain styles.  They push them HARD.  They push them to such an extent that the sound they push influences the rest of the bands in the genre.  They do this intentionally.  It's part of being proactive for them-- rather than just trying to anticipate trends, they use their marketing muscle as much as possible to influence trends.

July 27, 2009, 10:35:46 PM
at precisely what point did the record companies perfect their mind control? 

The mid-90s.

They really thought they had it covered in the 50s when rock first came up.  They would throw money in the faces of the most controversial acts, make them water themselves down and then screw the bands over anyway.  

It worked until the end of the 70s, when punk rock opened the door for an entire world of underground extreme music.  There were too many bands to handle, so instead they learned to sell the image, rather than the band, and by the mid-90s, things were back to the way they were before.  Any other underground band would be drowned out by the noise of all the wanna-bes who wanted to be part of the image.

July 28, 2009, 12:45:27 AM
Billions of dollars go into the psychological manipulation of audiences.

Manipulation is what marketing is.

How do you think the whole alternative thing got huge?  Do you really think Nirvana reached out and grabbed people that much?  Hell no.  Millions of dollars were spent pushing it.

July 28, 2009, 08:52:17 AM
Billions of dollars go into the psychological manipulation of audiences.

Manipulation is what marketing is.

How do you think the whole alternative thing got huge?  Do you really think Nirvana reached out and grabbed people that much?  Hell no.  Millions of dollars were spent pushing it.

Good explanation.

(See also: Hipsters are unwitting corporate pawns)